Bugera Vs. Jet City Amps

Rockett

• Members

guys i would like your serious opinion here. i joined a band almost 4 months ago, things are going great and all my high end stuff lives in our lockout studio. i'm pretty much fed up with playing and practicing acoustically so i want an amp to jam on for home.

i'm not willing to spend thousands on a practice rig for home so bugera and jet city have caught my attention due to low cost. which brand would you go for and why? bugera seems to get flak for nothing at most forums i browse and jet city is new so i've only read of 1 complaint about their stuff.

does mike soldano's name give you that extra piece of mind with his stuff? bugera seems to only get {censored} on the internet for no reason other than they copy designs and they are made in china. i've asked guitar center on both these brands and their returns and they have said they have only had 3 returns with bugera and 1 return with jet city since carrying their brands. all returns were because customer wasnt satisfied for some reason.

share your honest opinions with me guys. i'd love to hear what you think. i'm currently looking at getting a jet city jca100 with matching cab or a V55 with matching cab. both sounded amazing by the way. i almost walked out with the jet city head and the bugera cab but i held off so i could do some research first on these brands reliability.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have both the Jet City JCA20H (head) and the Bugera Vintage 22 combo.

In terms of quality of build and components the Jet City amp is the clear winner. this does NOT mean that the Bugera is junk or even a slacker. The Bugera has a current unresolved issue with the footswitch. For the purposes of some, including me, this is an important component. The amp works as advertised and will switch channels as designed by using the switch on the front panel. Unfortunately, the footswitch capability was poorly designed and suffers internally from the effects of heat. Outside of this flaw and a little cosmetic untidiness (grill cloth is loosely installed on mine) the amp exhibits an otherwise quality build.

The Bugera offers more features like 2 channels allowing clean and overdrive. Footswitching of channels.

Normal and Bright inputs.

Switchable between triode and pentode power (triode = ~12 watts and pentode = full 22 watts)

A mid boost switch.

An FX loop

The Jet City is a straightforward single channel rock monster with no additional bells or whistles.

Tone wise the Bugera is clearly chock full of old school tones and covers all the guitar tones of the 1950s through the 1970s. You want to do rock, rockabilly, country, pop, Motown, soul, funk,blues, jazz? It's all in there. This amp will NOT do "da brootz". If you want metal tones you definitely need to look elsewhere because they are not here.

For the higher gain, harder edge, more refined tones of the 1980s to today the Jet City is the clear choice here. It won't do "da brootz" either but it will get you much, much closer than the Bugera. If you like the "singing lead" tones then Jet City is what you want. You'll have to tweak a bit and maybe use some type of boost but it's in there.

Both amps like humbuckers and P90s. The Bugera plays well with single coils but the Jet City wants you to use some sort of boost with your single coils. The Jet City really likes high output humbuckers and will reward you well for that kind of input.

The Jet City comes in a combo format but I don't own that so I can't comment on it. I do own the head and it allows you to easily experiment with many different speakers to find the one(s) that best suits your range of tonal preferences.

The Bugera is a combo and comes with a "Jensen looking" speaker that is very well suited to the amp.

For my purposes, I play the old school music, the Bugera is the better choice because of tone and versatility. Still, I love my Jet City because it is a rock monster.

Both amps do achieve volume levels suitable for gigging in bars, small clubs and halls. For larger venues they will need to be put through the PA or you will need a larger amp. If your band is just loud whatever style of music you play then these amps will NOT be loud enough. These amps are about tone. They leave your eardrums intact, they leave the dust on the ceiling and the paint on the walls. To inflict pain and sonically share your misery you will need a bigger amp.

Either amp is a very good choice which is dependent on your musical preferences.

• Members

I have both the Jet City JCA20H (head) and the Bugera Vintage 22 combo.

In terms of quality of build and components the Jet City amp is the clear winner. this does NOT mean that the Bugera is junk or even a slacker. The Bugera has a current unresolved issue with the footswitch. For the purposes of some, including me, this is an important component. The amp works as advertised and will switch channels as designed by using the switch on the front panel. Unfortunately, the footswitch capability was poorly designed and suffers internally from the effects of heat. Outside of this flaw and a little cosmetic untidiness (grill cloth is loosely installed on mine) the amp exhibits an otherwise quality build.

The Bugera offers more features like 2 channels allowing clean and overdrive. Footswitching of channels.

Normal and Bright inputs.

Switchable between triode and pentode power (triode = ~12 watts and pentode = full 22 watts)

A mid boost switch.

An FX loop

The Jet City is a straightforward single channel rock monster with no additional bells or whistles.

Tone wise the Bugera is clearly chock full of old school tones and covers all the guitar tones of the 1950s through the 1970s. You want to do rock, rockabilly, country, pop, Motown, soul, funk,blues, jazz? It's all in there. This amp will NOT do "da brootz". If you want metal tones you definitely need to look elsewhere because they are not here.

For the higher gain, harder edge, more refined tones of the 1980s to today the Jet City is the clear choice here. It won't do "da brootz" either but it will get you much, much closer than the Bugera. If you like the "singing lead" tones then Jet City is what you want. You'll have to tweak a bit and maybe use some type of boost but it's in there.

Both amps like humbuckers and P90s. The Bugera plays well with single coils but the Jet City wants you to use some sort of boost with your single coils. The Jet City really likes high output humbuckers and will reward you well for that kind of input.

The Jet City comes in a combo format but I don't own that so I can't comment on it. I do own the head and it allows you to easily experiment with many different speakers to find the one(s) that best suits your range of tonal preferences.

The Bugera is a combo and comes with a "Jensen looking" speaker that is very well suited to the amp.

For my purposes, I play the old school music, the Bugera is the better choice because of tone and versatility. Still, I love my Jet City because it is a rock monster.

Both amps do achieve volume levels suitable for gigging in bars, small clubs and halls. For larger venues they will need to be put through the PA or you will need a larger amp. If your band is just loud whatever style of music you play then these amps will NOT be loud enough. These amps are about tone. They leave your eardrums intact, they leave the dust on the ceiling and the paint on the walls. To inflict pain and sonically share your misery you will need a bigger amp.

Either amp is a very good choice which is dependent on your musical preferences.

Wonderful review!

• Members

guys i would like your serious opinion here. i joined a band almost 4 months ago, things are going great and all my high end stuff lives in our lockout studio. i'm pretty much fed up with playing and practicing acoustically so i want an amp to jam on for home.

i'm not willing to spend thousands on a practice rig for home so bugera and jet city have caught my attention due to low cost. which brand would you go for and why? bugera seems to get flak for nothing at most forums i browse and jet city is new so i've only read of 1 complaint about their stuff.

does mike soldano's name give you that extra piece of mind with his stuff? bugera seems to only get {censored} on the internet for no reason other than they copy designs and they are made in china. i've asked guitar center on both these brands and their returns and they have said they have only had 3 returns with bugera and 1 return with jet city since carrying their brands. all returns were because customer wasnt satisfied for some reason.

share your honest opinions with me guys. i'd love to hear what you think. i'm currently looking at getting a jet city jca100 with matching cab or a V55 with matching cab. both sounded amazing by the way. i almost walked out with the jet city head and the bugera cab but i held off so i could do some research first on these brands reliability.

I'm in the exact situation. I checked into the Jet City 2112rc (20 watt tube combo) and the Bugera v22. I thought they both sounded good but I liked the Jet City better overall. I was going to buy the Bugera just because it was $150 cheaper but then I noticed that the Jet City had a $100 price drop so I pulled the trigger on it. It's supposed to arrive by this Thursday or Friday.

• Members

I got my JCA2112RC yesterday and couldn't stop playing through it. I've seen pictures of the Bugera's board and I'm very sceptical of the digital reverb. The Jet City is phenomenal. I pulled the back off just to take a look and I was very impressed. This nails almost every style I tried to play through it yesterday, from bop to soul, to rockabilly and british invasion sounds. Superbly tweakable and very responsive to touch. I played a lot with my fingers, (both "jazz thumb" and "folk" fingerpicking), and I was very happy with the sound. With a pick, this is a rock machine, but is also suitable to blues and soul. Excellent overdriven sound. The gain will never be up past three or four on mine, but on one or two, with the volume at about 7-8there's plenty of headroom (amp only goes up to 9). Even maxed out, the volume knob on the guitar will go a long way towards cleaning up the sound. Too bad there's no tube driven tremolo built in and no effects loop, but my three pedals sound really good running through the front end. My pedals are all true bypass and that might make a difference. Has anyone tried the Artec Tremolo pedal? I ordered a Johnson Fifties Tremolo, but apparently the Artec is true bypass. Can anyone out there confirm this?

• Members

jet city, built like a tank

• Members

I vote Jet City. I was going to change the tubes to JJ's on delivery out of habit, but it sounds so good stock, I'm not going to bother. I've only had this amp for a weekend, but I can tell you that I love it more than any amp I've ever owned. I like this amp so much, I'm posting on a forum about it!:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a Bugera BC-30 that I'm pretty fond of for everything except high gain stuff. It has a great clean tone (gain is just ok) and takes pedals really well also. YMMV.

:snax: Oh, boy, here we go...

• Members

:snax:
Oh, boy, here we go...

:rolleyes:

The amp is and has been available everywhere for well over a month now. That {censored}storm started because ONE music store owner couldn't get one and said they "arn't released yet" (which was incorrect, but indeed what a Bugera rep told him I'm assuming). Nobody cares anyway. The End.

• Members

:rolleyes:

The amp is and has been available everywhere for well over a month now.
That {censored}storm started because ONE music store owner couldn't get one and said they "arn't released yet" (which was incorrect, but indeed what a Bugera rep told him I'm assuming).
Nobody cares anyway. The End.

That {censored}storm started because you don't have the {censored}ing amp, you would have posted a pic if you did. I can't believe you are still telling people this {censored}. What the {censored} dude??

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Members

That {censored}storm started because you don't have the {censored}ing amp, you would have posted a pic if you did. I can't believe you are still telling people this {censored}. What the {censored} dude??

:facepalm:

Dude, just shut the {censored} up. Seriously. Are you like this in "real" life too?

Goddamn...:freak: and :facepalm:

• Members

Hmmm.. I have called over ten music stores and visited six internet music sites, and no one has have or received the bc 30 yet. Have you got pics yet E?

Um, well...

Guess nobody bought one yet? :confused: Google it (three places pop up instantly that have it in stock right now). So...how hard are you trying?

http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Bugera-BC30-Boutique-Style-Tube-Guitar-Amplifier.html

Archived