Framus Cobra Restoration Project

Phil Jacques

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cool thread bro
;)
Curious to see how this turns out. You probably seen this in the other Cobra thread, here's my blackface Cobra but I only used some cymbal cleaner to make it black even though my faceplate was not as bad as yours.

p1000228k.jpg

I'm not usually a fan of The Cobra's aestetics, :p Just made a thread about it, but I really dig what you've done here dude. :)

Got a pic of it turned on? Red lights on black would look great, not liking the silver though.

• Members

I'm not usually a fan of The Cobra's aestetics,
:p
Just made a thread about it, but I really dig what you've done here dude.
:)

Got a pic of it turned on? Red lights on black would look great, not liking the silver though.

Here is one, taken with a shitty camera though.....

cimg4414.jpg

• Members

Cool thread bro
;)
Curious to see how this turns out. You probably seen this in the other Cobra thread, here's my blackface Cobra but I only used some cymbal cleaner to make it black even though my faceplate was not as bad as yours.

p1000228k.jpg

what type of cymbal cleaner did you use? in a spray bottle or was it like a paste/compound in a squirt bottle?

• Members

I used that stuff. Just sprayed it on the dismantled frontplate left it for 15min and rinsed with water. Probably wouldn't have done it if I hadn't accidentaly tried to clean the front with metal polish what resulted in a similar result as Phil's faceplate just not to that extend.

3891.jpg

@Phil: I don't have the amp here right now but I can take pics next week. Here is one from another german guy who did this. The lettering on the plate is still readable but not really well. In the wrong light you can't really see it but the Cobra luckily doesn't have that many controls.

55229d1182552290-metallfront-richtig-rei

• Members

i told the guy doing my face plate to hold off until i try this, it may be a cheaper solution to what i wanted to do, which is what you did.

As long as I can read the lettering still up close, that is all that matters to me, I don't care if people can or cant steal my settings from pictures/stage etc.

• Members

Cool thread bro
;)

p1000228k.jpg

this looks so much better than stock its not even funny...good job mang

• Members

Uber fail for using the same {censored}ty tolex Framus uses. That is probably one of the very few flaws that amp has. If I were you, I'd buy a more rugged tolex, otherwise you're gonna get dings, rips and scratches again fairly easily. You're going for a custom look anyways.

On another note, I tip my hat to you for taking on this project. You're gonna feel so rewarded once it's complete.

• Members

Uber fail for using the same {censored}ty tolex Framus uses. That is probably one of the very few flaws that amp has. If I were you, I'd buy a more rugged tolex, otherwise you're gonna get dings, rips and scratches again fairly easily. You're going for a custom look anyways.

I agree that the tolex feels a bit cheaper than on other amps but I have mine for almost 5 years now and not a single rip. I'm not in a touring band but it has seen some gigs and got moved a lot.

The faceplate is a different thing though I can't possibly imagine why they left the {censored}ty coating for so long. Actually I'm not even sure if they changed it by now...

• Members

I guess if i fail for that, oh well. Sorry to disappoint you. They didnt sel true cobra snakeskin tolex, otherwise i would have gotten that. The tolex i bought has a snake skin pattern like the cobras but looks to be a little heavier than the factory paper tolex. we will see tho. I'm already pissed because we ordered it 2 day fed ex, and I am now on day 3 of waiting and fed ex already drove by. tracking says it will be here monday... HORRAY FOR HOLDUPS!

• Members

BTW... MONKEYSUIT... empty your PM box...

and answer this for me if you can. Is it still possible to read/see the lettering on the amp after what you did, AND does your faceplate have an uneven finish now or is it pretty even across... oh and is it still glossy or did it turn flat?

• Members

I'll see how the amp looks when I get it back, the white lights may look really good. right now tho, i've been ampless for 3 months. I just want to get it done as quick as possible and play again

I agree...the priority is to be able to PLAY the thing!! :thu:

• Members

yes i had a cobra the reflective coating is pretty much foil.I just have seen v1 powerballs with the bulbs white and it looks terrible.kinda reminded me of driving thru a nice neiborhood and seeing a house with a broken porch light.

• Members

BTW... MONKEYSUIT... empty your PM box...

and answer this for me if you can. Is it still possible to read/see the lettering on the amp after what you did, AND does your faceplate have an uneven finish now or is it pretty even across... oh and is it still glossy or did it turn flat?

Should be some space again. And yes, just like on the picture you can still see the lettering on the amp its just not a really high contrast. I actually can't remember if its all flat but I think its still a bit glossy but not as much as before. I'll check it in the bandroom tomorrow and if I remember to bring the camera I'll take a couple pictures.

About the finish, well it went pretty good, but if you look carefully you can see a slight difference on the spot where I tried to clean it with polish. If you don't know it you probably wouldn't notice though. Also there were some rubber pads between the Framus logo and the faceplate. Apparently those pads were glued to the faceplate and after applying the cymbal cleaner the faceplate went clear metal were those rubber pads were. As those are only small spots and the logo is on there you don't see it though. Apart from this the finish is even and also not prone for further smudges.

As the spots on your faceplate look similar to mine where I applied the polish it might not work that good for you with the cymbal cleaner but as the lettering is still there and its also a bit set off (you can feel the lettering when you touch the plate) I think it's worth a try and if it doesn't work you can still follow your initial plan.

• Members

Wait...so it was an accident that the faceplate went black??? Wow...

Not really. I had some really nasty smudges on the faceplate as their original coating sucks bigtime and I tried to clean it but grabbed a metal polish instead of paint polish accidentally and this was the result:

Framus Faceplate

Then I read in a german forum that a guy tried the same with cymbal cleaner and had the effect of the faceplate turning into smooth black so I decided to give it a try as my faceplate was kinda ruined anyway. As I'm not a huge fan of chrome I also replaced the corners with black ones and changed the handle to a smaller black one as the original handle was too large to fit in my roadcase.

• Members

so it's official. Groove Juice is the best 10 bux I ever spent!

here is a quick before and after for all you guys who were pondering this idea. I'm MORE than happy with this! it came out PERFECT!

DSC03485.jpg

DSC03487.jpg

DSC03488.jpg

Tolex also arrived today, it is more heavy duty than factory tolex by far, I would almost rank it up there with marshall, the black snake skin pattern looks sick, I'll tackle that later this week, have company for a couple days.

keep your eyes peeled!

Archived