Budget VST Drums - Slate EX vs. Ezdrummer

monkeysuit

• Members

I wanna buy a VST drumkit for some homerecording, so far I found the Steven Slate EX and Ezdrummer (+Metal/DFH Expansion) that both look interesting. Judging from clips the Slate drums sound better but i really like the bundled midi drumloops that come with Ezdrummer.

Anybody tried one or even both of those and can give me some insights?

I'm also open for other suggestions, budget is ~$150 and I need a kit thats suitable for modern rock/metal.

• Members

I just got the Steven Slate EX so I'm still learning it and I have had EZDrummer for some time now.

I would say Seven Slate EX has EZDrummer beat by a long shot. Yeah, you get a decent package deal on the loops on EZDrummer but the Steven Slate EX sounds ten times better. I have found that the EZDrummer loops work in Steven Slate EX.

• Members

I find EZdrummer much easier to use than Steven Slate, but Slate drums sound better.

I'll send you the EZDrummer midi files if you want.

That was my impression as well, especially the bassdrums didn't sound good on the ezdrummer dfh clips I heard. I might get back to you about the midifiles. Did you already work with the midis on the Slate drums and did it go as easy as with ezdrummer?

• Members

Well I have EZDrummer, Superior Drummer and the Steven Slate ones.

The EZDrummer midi work fine in SD2.0.

I tried going over the Steven Slate on the same MIDI files and it was hitting a splash where SD2.0 was using a crash ride.

Couldn't figure out how to change the mappings on each drum in Steven Slate so the note is triggering the right cymbals.

it uses Kontakt Player which I've not got much experience with. The Toontrack stuff is def easier to use. I prob need to spend more time with Slate Drums though.

• Members

I have EZDrummer with a bunch of expansion , SD 2.0 ans Slate drums with the Metal Drum pack and I like Slate drums better. (you may need to fool around with the snare but it's a preference thing)

I use the EZDrummer midi loops but so far, I only needed to remap the hi-hats.

• Members

Think I'll go with the Slate EX, if its a bit more difficult to handle I just have to get used to it but I definitely take good sound quality over usability here.

Any opinions on what expansion to get besides the metal pack? The store I wanna order from has a 2 for 1 offer on expansion packs right now.

@PhilBelanger: How does the remap work, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to that stuff?

• Members

I have both and I think EZD is better.

Explain please.

I listened to all clips I could find and while I can see someone preferring the EZDrummer for usability I found the Slate Clips to sound a lot better. The standard EZD kit sounded alright but the DFH expansion was not really what I expected especially the bassdrum.

• Members

Explain please.

I listened to all clips I could find and while I can see someone preferring the EZDrummer for usability I found the Slate Clips to sound a lot better. The standard EZD kit sounded alright but the DFH expansion was not really what I expected especially the bassdrum.

That's precisely why I like EZD better. Simpler to use and for me it runs better than SSD.

Personally I cant tell the diff between the two as far as drums sounds. EZD sounds better than anything I have the ability or $$ to record so saying one is better than the other is splitting hairs.

Im going to go with what gets me to the song writing processes the fastest. For me thats EZD.

• Members

I use both with ezplayer , got the 20 dollar drums , love the Zep kit . So now I'm stuck using the zep kit with all the other ez loops
:lol:

here , join the fun
:lol:
:poke:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2567445

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2590819

I might join the Drumjam tonight. I just borrowed a SM57 and want to toy around with it anyway.

Can I use this ezplayer with the Slate Drums and the EZdrummer midi files without owning EZdrummer?

edit. I'm talking about the free ezplayer

• Members

I might join the Drumjam tonight. I just borrowed a SM57 and want to toy around with it anyway.

Can I use this ezplayer with the Slate Drums and the EZdrummer midi files without owning EZdrummer?

edit. I'm talking about the free ezplayer

sorry I'm not sure , I have the ezplayer pro . :idk:

• Members

EZDrummer's interface is much better, but there is no comparison between the sample quality and humanization algorithms - Slate is far superior. Plus, you get more kits with the Slate EX than you would just buying EZDrummer, and you can mix them as you like.

• Members

Think I'll go with the Slate EX, if its a bit more difficult to handle I just have to get used to it but I definitely take good sound quality over usability here.

Any opinions on what expansion to get besides the metal pack? The store I wanna order from has a 2 for 1 offer on expansion packs right now.

@PhilBelanger: How does the remap work, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to that stuff?

The basic problem is the hi-hat is not assigned to the correct note (Toontrack vs. General Midi). I simply open the midi snippet in Cubase, I track down which note the hi-hat is currently assigned. I select all notes then move those hits to the proper place (as per General midi mapping).

I hope this help.

• Members

Hey, where did you guys put the sample files? It said to put them in the sample folder but it didn't create one with my install. It also brought up the service console for me to register the serial number but where was that provided in the download version? I bought two of the expansion packs.

• Members

The basic problem is the hi-hat is not assigned to the correct note (Toontrack vs. General Midi). I simply open the midi snippet in Cubase, I track down which note the hi-hat is currently assigned. I select all notes then move those hits to the proper place (as per General midi mapping).

I hope this help.

can you save that as a template in cubase as a one do thing?

I got ez drummer and SS plus the metal and classic rock EX

I'm actually installing them all on my main pc in Australia in a few days!

VERY EXCITE!

Archived