Stuck on a melody

tony333

• Members

I know that i do this backwards from most, and maybe it shows, but I write lyrics first. I always have a rhythm, tempo, and structure in mind when i do. This is also due to the limits in my playing ability. Anyway, I have some lyrics that i really like but everytime i start to sing them out loud and tweek and play with them, they come out and sound like "Hey, Ho" from the Lumineers (same pattern, tempo,etc...). I am trying to slow down, speed up, etc... but somehow I always end up there. has/does anyone ever run into tis? And what do you do to get out of it?

• Members

tony333 wrote:

I know that i do this backwards from most, and maybe it shows, but I write lyrics first. I always have a rhythm, tempo, and structure in mind when i do. This is also due to the limits in my playing ability. Anyway, I have some lyrics that i really like but everytime i start to sing them out loud and tweek and play with them, they come out and sound like "Hey, Ho" from the Lumineers (same pattern, tempo,etc...). I am trying to slow down, speed up, etc... but somehow I always end up there. has/does anyone ever run into tis? And what do you do to get out of it?

It happens to me a lot when I've written the lyric first. You have to find a way to break the pattern you're hearing in your head (thanks to the Lumineers or whoever), I guess.

Usually what happens with me is I hit on a different groove for the melody and end up having to change the lyric.

I hope this helps...

• Members

Happens to me EVERYTIME because my guitar playing is very limited also. I come up with some really great songs (I think anyways) on paper and have the music in my head but my problem is that I can't transfer whats in my head to my guitar.

• Members

Common problem, sometimes it seems there are only so many melodies out there. These are just a few ideas, I hope something helps: First, sometimes just changine the key will allow a new melody to take over. Try doing it in a key several steps higher or lower, even if you won't be able to perform in that key. Use it as a compositional tool. If you find a cool melody there, you can transpose it back to a more singer friendly key.

Try altering the duration of a couple notes (not the overall tempo, just a note or two). Eighth to Half, or vice versa. It may be able to lift you out of the rut. Start off taking it a little too far until you start to feel something new taking over, then relax it back to a natural feel.

You can also try a few melodic ideas, like adding a jump of anywhere from a third to an octave and a half. Or the opposite, using a short chromatic run to connect two chord tones.

For one or more of the chords, use the relative major or minor chord for a few takes and see if a new melody comes forth. It might work.

Good luck!

• Moderators

Scott Doolittle wrote:

Common problem, sometimes it seems there are only so many melodies out there. These are j
ust a few ideas, I hope something helps: First, sometimes just changing the key will allow a new melody to take over. Try doing it in a key several steps higher or lower, even if you won't be able to perform in that key. Use it as a compositional tool. If you find a cool melody there, you can transpose it back to a more singer friendly key.

Try altering the duration of a couple notes (not the overall tempo, just a note or two). Eighth to Half, or vice versa. It may be able to lift you out of the rut. Start off taking it a little too far until you start to feel something new taking over, then relax it back to a natural feel.

You can also try a few melodic ideas, like adding a jump of anywhere from a third to an octave and a half. Or the opposite, using a short chromatic run to connect two chord tones.

For one or more of the chords, use the relative major or minor chord for a few takes and see if a new melody comes forth. It might work.

Good luck!

Nice, practical advice! Cool. I like the idea of changing the key temporarily to limit your range as a compositional tool. Clever idea...

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks for the ideas. When I finally got around to messing with this oarticular song it easily fell out of that melody. I had to change some lyrics around to fit what came out musically. The song us in desperate need of a bridge part. Something I have often struggled with, but am trying to come up with the "right" one before recording.

Archived