Do YOUNG guys appreciate Satriani?, etc

sabrex

• Members

Guitar virtuosos. :snor:

It's too bad these guys couldn't write a song worth hearing to save their lives.

It's like listening to hair spray scented spandex, furiously masturbate. Do not want.

What do you play again? Indie rock? Oh yea...GTFO!!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I always find it funny when people say Satriani couldnt write "songs". The guy is the most successful rock instrumentalist of all-time, sold over 10 million albums, got a ton of radio and videoplay all while doing catchy instrumentals that non-guitarists liked.

The {censored}ty songs that no one listens to description would be far better used on 90% of the brootz bands discussed here rather than Satch or vai:poke:

• Members

I think younger players enjoy these players more don't they? Super fast playing, that's all 90% of youngsters want to do, so they look up to these guys.

I'm 23 and first saw Satch playing Surfing when I was about 15. I was mesmerised. But I don't listen to too much shred, not really my thing.

• Members
You see, I wouldnt have thought those guys existed any more.

Satrani, guthrie, morse, malmsteen, all the technical guys also have it musically and I really feel what they are doing. I like classical, jazz, rock, pop, and even stoner rock. I like everything except country.

But I'm an old guy. I am fortunate that i had exposure to everything. I think my tastes solidified by the time I was 35. I dont feel there is anything else "new" to listen to, so I try to listen to the best of everything. And Satriani, IMO is the best instumental guitarist.

Yeah, these kids exist. I think a lot of it has to do with the influence from the instructor. Some of them just start playing out and that's the {censored} that gets played. So before they get the chance to become diverse they're already out there swapping blues licks and building their repertoire.

Its probably the easiest route to go if a new guitarist wants to be a performer :idk:

• Members

A rock looks like a genius next to you.

so then i guess you could say that a rock would capture your attention enough to take notice of, and engage in intellectual discourse with? and this was supposed to be an insult to me?

:lol:

• Members
Just wondering how YOUNG guys relate to guys like Satriani.

There was a pinnacle of guitar ability in the late 80s of which Satriani, Vai, Gilbert, Malmsteen, etc were at the top.

BUT... these guys are in there 40s or 50s now. Old guys.

When I was learning guitar in the late 80s, I didnt listen to any "old guys".

Yet, I notice there are lots of young kids who like Dragonforce. But in my opinion, its not possible to like Dragonforce without REALLY liking the guys from the 80s. THey did it first, and they are better at it. Much better.

So are they acknowledged (Is Surfing on every young guitar players iPOD?) or forgotten?

I just turned 18. I don't listen to Satch, Vai, or Malmsteen except on rare occasions, but I listen to guys you would have considered "the old guys" at my age :idk:

• Members

I saw him live at G3 and I'm in the younger crowd. He was the most boring musician I have had to endure. Gilbert and John Petrucci had much better songs and I would say the higlight of the night was seeing Gilbert shred those harmonies with Bruce. I mean Joe can play but god his songs suck (same way I feel about Vai).

• Members

REALLY? NOT A SINGLE YOUTUBE VIDEO IN THIS THREAD????? {censored} you guys

Timmons has that certain something that no other guitarist listed in this thread has. I like to think of him as the David Gilmour of shredders.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

gilbert > timmons > vai = satch >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>malmsteen.

fixed:cop:

I wouldn't mind seeing any of the first four live, but to say I'm a fan of any (MAYBE Gilbert), don't see that happening soon...

• Members

so then i guess you could say that a rock would capture your attention enough to take notice of, and engage in intellectual discourse with? and this was supposed to be an insult to me?

:lol:

Sir,

What Neil wrote was not intellectual discourse. It was simply a throw away

one-liner that is still seemingly lost on you. Also, you were right when you

were younger, you will never be able to play like Satch.

Archived