Sunn day... Some new stuff!

curseoftruth

• Members

I found this rare Enforcer a couple of months back for cheap and had it teched out, tubes, a new pot, etc. Didn't sound great through my Orange cab (was good but no loud, a little boxy). Found this Sunn 70s 4x12 yesterday and it sounds great, cab needs some clean up, I'll work on getting that glue off the front, it's old and dried so a little elbow grease will do the trick.

Tone is similar to a Matamp or Orange OR, dark, pissed off, and growly fuzz! Its awesome sounding.

Twins of Evil

sunn1.jpg

Sunn Enforcer and 4x12

sunn3.jpg

Sunn Enforcer close up

sunn2.jpg

• Members

Cool! The head and cab combo look killer! I'd love to hear some soundclips or video of your Sunn setup. I'm in the process of getting new equipment to record with, so I can put up some sound clips of my Sunn Stagemaster combo and my Peavey VTM 120. The VTM has an unbelievable amount of bottom end and is perfect for stoner rock. The Sunn Stagemaster has a more vintage Black Sabbath kind of vibe which is equally cool.

IMG_2883.jpg

• Members

Cool! The head and cab combo look killer! I'd love to hear some soundclips or video of your Sunn setup. I'm in the process of getting new equipment to record with, so I can put up some sound clips of my Sunn Stagemaster combo and my Peavey VTM 120. The VTM has an unbelievable amount of bottom end and is perfect for stoner rock. The Sunn Stagemaster has a more vintage Black Sabbath kind of vibe which is equally cool.

IMG_2883.jpg

I plan on making some videos this week with the Webcam. I dig your set up as well! It's funny, over on the Sunn forum, people don't seem to give a {censored} about Sunn amps which just amazes me.

• Members

Awesome! That Sunn Enforcer sounds like a wicked amp from what you have experienced with it. I can only image how mean sounding it is. I agree, that Sunn forum seems to be asleep or something when it comes to things about Sunn. I'm wide awake about all things Sunn and your amp rocks big time to me! :thu:

• Members

good score man,..i have never even heard of the enforcer before!!..whats the manufacture date??....everytime theres a sunn thread,..i have to mention the best speaker cab i ever had,..and regret selling the most,...sunn 6x12 with a v-shaped baffle,...and i have been searching for another for years!,..

• Members

good score man,..i have never even heard of the enforcer before!!..whats the manufacture date??....everytime theres a sunn thread,..i have to mention the best speaker cab i ever had,..and regret selling the most,...sunn 6x12 with a v-shaped baffle,...and i have been searching for another for years!,..

I'd like to find one of those 6x12 cabs also, they have become pretty rare. A guy in a local punk band is using a 6x10 Sunn cab and it sounds great.

The Enforcer was made from 81 to 84 from what I can find. Low production numbers, it is thought that between 100 and 150 total were ever made, that included combos and heads with less combos being made. It was discontinued after the Fender buyout but a few probably hit the streets right around that time. I actually emailed with the engineer who designed the amp - Channel A is supposed to be a Fender Twin clone and Channel B is supposed to be a JCM800 clone. At the time the JCM800 was all the rage but they were not reliable amps, so they decided to bullet proof these things - the transformers are just monstrous in them! By doing so, they ended taking the sweetness out of each amp it was supposed to emulate. It sounded more like a Sunn which had a big fat, growly distortion which was not the rage in the early 80s. Would be my guess as to why they sold so few of them. Channel A and Channel B treat the signals totally different as to where the signal gets saturated before or after the preamp.

Its a really gnarly sounding amp, more fuzz sounding than natural distortion. I'd liken it to a Matamp, Electric, or Orange OR in how dark and growly it sounds. It is pretty bad ass. I'll post some clips this week.

• Members

Does that Sunn have the original Emis in it?
:love:

I haven't taken them out yet -- the speakers are front loaded but taking the front cover off the cab, it appears that they have never been out of it (but who knows for sure). What I decided was that I'd buy the best sounding cab for the amp regardless of the brand. I tried Orange, 2 different Marshalls (one with V30s and one with Greenbacks), and a Mesa before trying the Sunn and it just happened that the Sunn sounded the best and was by far the loudest of the bunch. If the Sunn didn't work, there was an 80s Laney AOR cab there to try next, but didn't even need to go there, the Sunn cab sounded amazing.

• Members

I haven't taken them out yet -- the speakers are front loaded but taking the front cover off the cab, it appears that they have never been out of it (but who knows for sure). What I decided was that I'd buy the best sounding cab for the amp regardless of the brand. I tried Orange, 2 different Marshalls (one with V30s and one with Greenbacks), and a Mesa before trying the Sunn and it just happened that the Sunn sounded the best and was by far the loudest of the bunch. If the Sunn didn't work, there was an 80s Laney AOR cab there to try next, but didn't even need to go there, the Sunn cab sounded amazing.

Sounds awesome man, sounds like it'll probably be the original speakers too. :rawk:

Archived