www.buildyourownclone.com

• Members

Got the Tonebender and the phase 90. The first is pretty darn simple to put together and it sounds great. The second is more of a challenge, a lot of stuff in there, pretty close, so not as easy. Still sounds right.

• Members

Do you guys think i could get a pretty good range of distortion with a screamer clone and a fuzzface clone and ocasionally using the peavey classic 30 lead channel? I don't have any of this stuff yet but i'm planning it. I'm pretty sure about the screamer clone. What should my first DIY pedal be?

• Members

i built 5, started with tonebender and phase 90, then came a fuzzface, screamer and delay.

i might say the delay was the most challanging.

..but anyhow the instructions are great and if you read carefully and do what is written, it is really foolproof to build them.

if you have trouble byoc has its own forum with a lot of guys helping to troubleshoot

i also use a classic 30, and the fuzzface sounds great, i mostly not boost it with the screamer, cause its loud enough. what you want get with this pedal combination and the lead channel of the classic 30 is raw metall distortion or the typical marshall sound, but this is cause of the el84 amp.

one minus on byoc, unfortunately kieth does not ship internationally anymore, and the european distributor has only a subset of kits available :(

• Members

New BYOC stuff -

I got an e-mail last week to pre-order the VB-2 kit ($125). Apparently it's got some hard to find parts, so it will be in limited supply. I haven't decided if i want, or need one yet - anyone else got any experience with this pedal?

Also, the envelope filter kit is now up - just $65!!! I think i'm going to grab one and build it for my brother.

Brian

• Members

I've built a few screamers that I modded from BYOC boards. One thing about them - his PCBs are MUCH nicer than anything else I've seen. solder masked, screen printed, etc... I can etch my own boards, but I'd rather buy his. Many of the places selling PCBs are selling ones that aren't much better or different than ones you can do yourself. I can't see making BYOC quality boards for a few pedals. Much easier to buy his. Plus they aren't that expensive either.

Pete

• Members

I've build the Triboost, the fuzz clone (twice) the compressor and am currently working on a heavily modified screamer.

I have the VB clone on order.

Nothing but good things to say about BYOC--all the parts you need, best-in-class PCBs, and really good instructions.

Plus the BYOC board is pretty active with a small community of folks who help with questions and mods.

Highly recommended.

• Members

Originally posted by vangkm

So how hard would it be for someone who had no knowledge of electrical components/schematics and soldering to build one of these things?

You don't need to know anything about schematics. You don't even really need to know anything about the components. The build document walks you through each step and shows you what each component is, and where it goes.

You will have to have at least the ability to do basic soldering, but that is *not* hard to pick up. Search on google and you'll find some great lessons on soldering. Practice on some crap parts or an old pcb you pull out of a radio or computer something. When you can do basic soldering, you should be able to do your first kit.

Most likely, you will screw up several times, but almost every type of screwup is fixable (trust me, I've done them all).

So the short answer is yes, you absolutely can DIY.

• Members

Originally posted by dan-o-guitar

Search on google and you'll find some great lessons on soldering. Practice on some crap parts or an old pcb you pull out of a radio or computer something. When you can do basic soldering, you should be able to do your first kit.

Actually, since this is the DIY forum, maybe we should open a post RE: basics of soldering :confused:

• Members

I've done a few of them and love 'em.

One thing I'd like to do is mod them; however, I really haven't a clue as to how each part effects the town.

Maybe someone could write a sticky/FAQ that explains what each component does and how it effects tone. The could apply to DIY effects amp amps to moding mass produced ones. In other words: someone has a TS-808 and wants to change its tone, who would changing one resistor or diode to another size or whatever would effect tone.

I'm really clueless. :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

BYOC kits are great stuff! First thing I ever built in my life was the Delay, and I'm loving it more and more every time I play it. I had very little soldering expierience, everything is explained very well in the instructions. I liked it so much, I just bought the Fuzz (hasn't show up yet though) and picked up a Screamer of the TGP emporium (at least I hope I did, haven't heard back from the guy yet). The BYOC stuff is great, and I definitely recommend it.

• Members
Originally posted by Stratotone

I've built a few screamers that I modded from BYOC boards. One thing about them - his PCBs are MUCH nicer than anything else I've seen. solder masked, screen printed, etc... I can etch my own boards, but I'd rather buy his. Many of the places selling PCBs are selling ones that aren't much better or different than ones you can do yourself. I can't see making BYOC quality boards for a few pedals. Much easier to buy his. Plus they aren't that expensive either.

Pete

I just finished a screamer and the PCB board was top notch! All the screen printing was clear and there was NO question on where the onboard components went, or the wires heading out.

Archived