NGD! Jackson content

BeëlzeM

• Members
Anyone experience with these? They're direct drop-in replacement locking tuners from Schaller. I want a set if they're any good.

SMLB.jpg

i had a set on a fender strat plus i owned for ever.they are great

• Members
Anyone experience with these? They're direct drop-in replacement locking tuners from Schaller. I want a set if they're any good.

SMLB.jpg

I just slapped a set on my NJ Classic Mockingbird. So far I really like them. Something interesting about the pin though, is that it doesn't lower down as you loosen the thumb wheels. I thought I had broken tuners when I got them, but I found out that they lower as you put the string through them. It seems as if they are on a spring type of mechanism........but honestly :idk:

I have had the pleasure of using a couple different varieties of thumb wheel locking tuners. The first were Sperzels.......while I enjoyed the easiness of changing strings, I absolutely hated there thumb wheels. Not to mention there tuning ratio is 12:1 :facepalm: The second set are the Grover Roto-Grips. These stay in tune very well and have an 18:1 tuning ratio, which makes tuning much more precise.....thank you Grover. Also something else I like about the Grover variant is that if you continue to loosen the wheel, it won't come out of its housing (like the Sperzel). My only disappointment is that one of them started to flake off the chrome finish. All the others seem well built and coated, but that one, I really don't know what made it start flaking. The last is the Schaller M6 2000s, these seem to me be the most rugged. While I have only had them for a short time, I knew they were made with quality parts, because they were considerably heavy. I just wish they had an 18:1 tuning ratio like the Grovers, but honestly 16:1 isn't bad at all.

Overall, the Schaller (IMO) are superior to Sperzel tuners. I will see if I like them as much as the Grover set. So far they seem well built and rather solid tuning machines. If you do get them, I would recommend getting them from Warmoth. They have fast shipping and I paid $9 per tuning head, which comes out to $54 for a set. That is cheaper than what I paid for the Grover Roto-Grips and that is less than what a set of Sperzels will cost you. I just looked, the black Schallers go for $10 a head.

Schaller Mini Locking Tuners at Warmoth

Cole

• Members
I just slapped a set on my NJ Classic Mockingbird. So far I really like them. Something interesting about the pin though, is that it doesn't lower down as you loosen the thumb wheels. I thought I had broken tuners when I got them, but I found out that they lower as you put the string through them. It seems as if they are on a spring type of mechanism........but honestly
:idk:

I have had the pleasure of using a couple different varieties of thumb wheel locking tuners. The first were Sperzels.......while I enjoyed the easiness of changing strings, I absolutely hated there thumb wheels. Not to mention there tuning ratio is 12:1
:facepalm:
The second set are the Grover Roto-Grips. These stay in tune very well and have an 18:1 tuning ratio, which makes tuning much more precise.....thank you Grover. Also something else I like about the Grover variant is that if you continue to loosen the wheel, it won't come out of its housing (like the Sperzel). My only disappointment is that one of them started to flake off the chrome finish. All the others seem well built and coated, but that one, I really don't know what made it start flaking. The last is the Schaller M6 2000s, these seem to me be the most rugged. While I have only had them for a short time, I knew they were made with quality parts, because they were considerably heavy. I just wish they had an 18:1 tuning ratio like the Grovers, but honestly 16:1 isn't bad at all.

Overall, the Schaller (IMO) are superior to Sperzel tuners. I will see if I like them as much as the Grover set. So far they seem well built and rather solid tuning machines. If you do get them, I would recommend getting them from Warmoth. They have fast shipping and I paid $9 per tuning head, which comes out to $54 for a set. That is cheaper than what I paid for the Grover Roto-Grips and that is less than what a set of Sperzels will cost you. I just looked, the black Schallers go for $10 a head.

Schaller Mini Locking Tuners at Warmoth

Cole

Cheers for the review man! These Schallers look ideal as they won't require modification. I was looking at a set from Warmoth. I never ordered anything from them before, I thought they were in the UK but I now see they're not. That would have been doable shipping wise. It's another $20 for shipping to the Netherlands for the tuners and I have to deal with customs and all that again, so I'll look for a store in Europe I guess.

Archived