Can I take 2 power tubes out of my 6505+ to make it quieter?

Jesse G

• Members

So is there any reason to want to use two speaker cables instead of one?

My cab has one 16 OHM input and another 4 OHM input and a mono/stereo switch. Using both inputs on the cab would be bad, right? Since one input is 16 and the other is 4?

Right now I have the head set to 16 ohms, with the one cable going into the 16 ohms input on the cab...

• Members

My cab has one mono 16 OHM input and another 4 OHM input and a mono/stereo switch. Using both inputs on the cab would be bad, right? Since one input is 16 and the other is 4?

once you switch to stereo the impedance changes to 8 omhs per side for a 4 ohms total.

But there is absolutely no benefit in doing that. Leave it on mono and use a single speaker cable.

• Members

My cab has one 16 OHM input and another 4 OHM input and a mono/stereo switch. Using both inputs on the cab would be bad, right? Since one input is 16 and the other is 4?

Right now I have the head set to 16 ohms, with the one cable going into the 16 ohms input on the cab...

Huh? A true stereo cab is made to have both sides used (should you choose to do so)...that's the whole point. Not sure how exactly your cab is configured.

• Members

My cab has one mono 16 OHM input and another 4 OHM input and a mono/stereo switch. Using both inputs on the cab would be bad, right? Since one input is 16 and the other is 4?

those inputs are for stereo use.

if you use your cab in "stereo" it splits the 4 speakers and you can use 2 speakers per amp.

With one 6505+ plug the heads 16 ohm tap into the 16 ohm tap of the cab.

• Members

once you switch to stereo the impedance changes to 8 omhs per side for a 4 ohms total.

But there is absolutely no benefit in doing that. Leave it on mono and use a single speaker cable.

I agree...I would only use both sides if I wanted to run two amps simultaneously through a single cab.

• Members

Yeah, but it sounds grainy until it's turned up to 3 or so which is roaring loud.
:cry:

also, you could get it modded to adjust the bias on the pre amp tubes to get them to run a bit hotter, causing the clipping to smooth out a bit. this would be an extremely simple mod of just switching out a couple of resistors

(pre amp tubes)

cold bias = fizzy gain

hot bias = syrupy gain

sounds like the 6505 clips a bit on the cold side.

• Members

I agree with all the bias talk. The amp will be in whats called crossover distortion if the bias is cold, which does not sound good.

The 5150 combo I have is known to have a hot bias from the factory and its pretty damn decent at low and high volumes.

• Members

I run my 5150 II thru a hotplate all the time.

OP is dead on, this amp wakes up at about 3 post volume and that is freaking loud!!

cut it back -8dbs on the hotplate and ..........there you go, that's how I run mine, anything over -12dbs sounds like ass though so don't expect "bedroom whisper" tone to sound good. turn it up to 3 cut it back -8dbs and "Shred!"

• Members

Another question about the bias mod and bias adjustment:

The guy I bought my 6505+ from said he'd done the bias mod. Is the highest bias setting still within the safe operating tolerance of the amp?

• Members

Another question about the bias mod and bias adjustment:

The guy I bought my 6505+ from said he'd done the bias mod. Is the highest bias setting still within the safe operating tolerance of the amp?

No one here can answer this. If you can't determine what he did and make a determination, I'd recommend you take the amp to someone that can.

I would not recommend that you just turn the bias adjustment and hope.

• Members

No one here can answer this. If you can't determine what he did and make a determination, I'd recommend you take the amp to someone that can.

I would not recommend that you just turn the bias adjustment and hope.

Or get a multimeter and test it myself, right?

Archived