Respect for a fallen firefighter.

MattACaster

• Members

A local firefighter lost his life last week trying to pull a man out of a burning house. First time our small town has lost a fire service worker in our 100+ year history.

Brian Carey was 28 years old and died a hero. They flew the Honor Flag in for his wake and funeral which is today and tomorrow.

His partner was also badly burned in the fire but she got pulled out in time.

I didn't know how personally but two close friends of mine both worked for this department and knew him and are really torn up about it. But the support the whole town has been showing these guys has been amazing. Hell, Kenosha Wisconsin even called out our department and offered to send a truck to two to help cover our town since all our Firefighter are on leave.

RIP - Brian Carey

040110homewood1_cst_feed_20100401_04_18_

• Members

That is sad to hear......They really are heroes for local communities. I hope his family won't be burdened with too much grief, but I hope they are very proud of his endeavor.

Is the man he pulled out alright?

Mojo sent to his family, friends and your community!

Cole

• Members

That is sad to hear......They really are heroes for local communities. I hope his family won't be burdened with too much grief, but I hope they are very proud of his endeavor.

Is the man he pulled out alright?

Mojo sent to his family, friends and your community!

Cole

No, he didn't make it either.

From what I understand, they got the homeowner out but he died later in the hospital.

• Members

The Firefighter's Prayer

When I am called to duty, God, whenever flames may rage;

Give me strength to save some life, whatever be its age.

Help me embrace a little child before it is too late

Or save an older person from the horror of that fate.

Enable me to be alert and hear the weakest shout,

And quickly and efficiently to put the fire out.

I want to fill my calling and to give the best in me,

To guard my every neighbor and protect his property.

And if, according to my fate, I am to lose my life;

Please bless with your protecting hand
my children and my wife.

RIP Brian.

• Members

That is really too bad......I assume smoke inhalation?

Really, tons of Mojo sent to you community
:cry:

Cole

I don't know.

I know in the firefighter's case, the house flashed while they were inside. When something like that happens, their protective gear is only good for about two seconds. They didn't have enough time to get out. I'm not sure if the homeowner was still in the house at this point.

I've been trying to keep my curiosity about this to a minimum. My friend has been trying to not think about it and I'm sure he doesn't need me asking questions.

• Members

I don't know.

I know in the firefighter's case, the house flashed while they were inside. When something like that happens, their protective gear is only good for about two seconds. They didn't have enough time to get out. I'm not sure if the homeowner was still in the house at this point.

I've been trying to keep my curiosity about this to a minimum. My friend has been trying to not think about it and I'm sure he doesn't need me asking questions.

That is really, really sad. I used to fight wild land fires, that was tough enough, but having to go through a burning structure to save people........that takes some guts and tons of drive!

Brian had a great smile, and looked like a hard working man who was proud of what he did. I pray that the families and friends will have their thoughts filled with his good qualities and great experiences rather than his tragic demise.

Cole

• Members

That is really, really sad. I used to fight wild land fires, that was tough enough, but having to go through a burning structure to save people........that takes some guts and tons of drive!

Brian had a great smile, and looked like a hard working man who was proud of what he did. I pray that the families and friends will have their thoughts filled with his good qualities and great experiences rather than his tragic demise.

Cole

Well said. :thu:

• Members
:(
Ill admit to my first feeling when opeing the thread was releif that it wasn't dustin. Longest load time ever.
Anyway super bummer man, was dustin on the call too?
Massive amounts of mojo sent, sad sad way to go but it says a lot about the man that's for sure.

• Members

:(
Ill admit to my first feeling when opeing the thread was releif that it wasn't dustin. Longest load time ever.

Anyway super bummer man, was dustin on the call too?

Massive amounts of mojo sent, sad sad way to go but it says a lot about the man that's for sure.

Dustin wasn't on shift but he got called in that night. Both he and Brian were on the same shift in Homewood a few years ago and both him and Neal are good friend with the woman who got burned.

It was actually Dustin's department that pulled Brian and the woman out of the fire.

Dustin says it was the worst night of his life.

• Members
Dustin wasn't on shift but he got called in that night. Both he and Brian were on the same shift in Homewood a few years ago and both him and Neal are good friend with the woman who got burned.

It was actually Dustin's department that pulled Brian and the woman out of the fire.

Dustin says it was the worst night of his life.

Wow man, I don't know what to say about that really. Very sad, I can't imagine what something like that would be like. :(

• Members

bummer, mojo sent. my good friend is an ex fire fighter, its all volunteer here, and those dudes LIVE at the fire station making zero money. he had to quit after a bad night where he only described what happened as "I saw kids burnt up", it was apparently some horrific housefire, he has night terrors and other issues ever since. gotta hand it to those guys, they are the {censored}.

Archived