Living in Boston

JBecker

• Members

Hey Folks,

Well if all goes well one of my two recent interviews will work out and I'll be moving up to Boston next year. I've got a few opportunities to stay in Providence but may end up living in Boston and commuting down here either way.

So my friend is going to be going to BC for his master's and have a low budget, but I should be making fairly good money and I'll either be working in Watertown or right by the northern part of the Boston Commons between Downtown Crossing and Government Center.

Alright-- what do I need to know about Boston neighborhoods. Where's the best place to live as a couple of young 20-somethings that doesn't break the bank and has easy access to the above places. What kind of prices should I be looking for? Where do I absolutely have to be {censored}ing hanging out to make the most of it?

• Members

I Lived outside of Boston for 27 years. There's a {censored} load to do.

Since your near the North End, there is Faneuil Hall,( Italian Food),

NewBury St,Kenmore Sq,China Town, Boston Aquarium,Brookline,

MIT area..and a {censored} load of music stores.You can see the RedSox

or check out any of the bands that are playing in Worcester (20 miles west)

of Boston..

If you watertown, there are ton of Armenian food places that are killer..

• Members

Dave Owens has it covered - Boston Commons, Financial District for some solid grub, North End for solid Italian food, Newbury St, Kenmore Square, Copley Square, Chinatown, Cambridge...

I don't know Watertown too well, but I did use to run by it from time to time :p

• Members

Alright-- what do I need to know about Boston neighborhoods. Where's the best place to live as a couple of young 20-somethings that doesn't break the bank and has easy access to the above places.

Try...

- Somerville

- Jamaica Plain

- Watertown, then Waltham

- Allston/Brighton

• Members

It's 50/50 but I'm working on it.

Never will be solved. NEVER. Man it's gonna suck being a Yankees fan in Boston. That's a lot of whining to deal with.

first thing's first - don't admit that in public. i'm from upstate ny, lived in the city for while, and i lived in boston for 2 years, and the bizarre hate between ny and boston is over the top, but it's a lot more aggressive on the boston side.

at job interviews the first question was "so are you a yankee fan?"

and they were serious. it's on another level.

• Members

Try to walk through the Fens at 3 in the morning and
NOT
get raped/mugged by the homeless. It's quite the rush!

This.

We walked from the Fenway bar back to Hilton Back Bay and it was awesome.....ly full of freaks.

• Members
This.

We walked from the Fenway bar back to Hilton Back Bay and it was awesome.....ly full of freaks.

In the interest of fairness, let's be clear here. In the Fens after hours, you get mugged by the homeless, and raped by the gheys. Stay out of the reeds and you're good :thu:

• Members

There is nowhere cheap to live in Boston. Anything inexpensive wil be in a {censored}ty neighborhood. Good luck.

Compared to what? Compared to NY where I'm from? It's pretty reasonable. Compared to Providence where I've lived the last five years? It's a little more expensive, but doesn't seem to be ridiculously so considering how much more urban it is.

• Members

South Boston is a good place to live that is a little bit reasonable and has a lot going on for 20 yr olds. Also, check out Cambridge. Allston and Brighton are also places that you could live. Those are my recommendations. Yes, they are all a little bit expensive but that's the way it goes in the city.

Archived