Line 6 Bogner Spider Valve vs Spider III vs Spider IV vs Peavey Vypyr

insurrection

• Members

I'm looking for a combo amp and I think I've gotten it narrowed to these... how do they compare for.... you guessed it... death metal. I need a kick around amp since all my gear is in the back of a venue in another city where I contract a buddy to do recording and we split the income while I work in the mines.

Anyways, let me know, or if you have any other ideas or know of other people on here with either of these amps for sale.

• Members

I would do a Vypyr before any Line-6 product, but that's just me.. You could get the 60 watt tube version..

Well I am quite partial to my POD XT with the metal packs... some pretty decent sounds for what it is... of course nothing as crushing as my peters chimera, but for a canned tone, it's pretty good.

I'm not really too concerned with tube output since it will be fairly low volumes, I just thought the spider valve would be cool because it's supposedly designed with bogner, unless thats a full of {censored} statement to sell amps

• Members

Well I am quite partial to my POD XT with the metal packs... some pretty decent sounds for what it is... of course nothing as crushing as my peters chimera, but for a canned tone, it's pretty good.

I'm not really too concerned with tube output since it will be fairly low volumes, I just thought the spider valve would be cool because it's supposedly designed with bogner, unless thats a full of {censored} statement to sell amps

Well its not a FOS statement. the amps are decent.

• Members

Ive demoed all the amps the OP mentioned recently when searching for a giggable combo. The SS Vypers are decent and the Tube Vypers are a a bit better but I found they sounded a lot like their SS powered counterparts too much too justify the $$$.

The Spider III was decent and the IV imo was quite a bit better and took volumes better.

However the Spider Valve and its Bogner tube amp design matched with the V30 seriously was more prolific too my ears.

It responded more like a "real" tube amp(turn the stock gain settings Down)

and had quite a few impressive tones.

The effects are avg imo but the total package is the best of all above mentioned imo.

• Members

Really man, I would opt for a cheap 1x12 and get an Emma PisdiYAUwot to just keep on top of the amp and run it that way. It sounds really, really good for metal tones.

[YOUTUBE]XscZPYKzXIQ[/YOUTUBE]

You could run this into anything with a decent clean and a 12" speaker, and you'll be good to go.

• Members

Well, I have experience with all three.

Favorite: Line6 Bogner. Sounds great, not perfect but does everything I was looking for in tone.

Line 6 Spider: Sounds a little crappier, but what do you expect from this? IMO, it sounded pretty good and did the job well. If you're paying attention to subtleties, you will notice that its not tube. In general, I found the models to be very usable, unlike the stigma assosiated with line 6 in these forums.

Vypyr: I owned the 75Watt and the 60Watt tube. Both had very similar sound, cept the tube sounded better at higher volumes. In general, the models are awesome, very convincing tones. BUT, I could only get two models to sound decent. The EQ is all {censored}ed up in the low end, high end, its just a {censored}ing mess. It sounds good, but the low end is just all over the place. I tried to play around with the settings, and after switching to the tube 60, the issue was still there. Some people don't hear it, some people do notice it. To me, it was the deal breaker. Not long after that, I gigged with a spider IV combo, and the emulations werent as refined as the vypyr's, but the EQ was tight and well proportioned. I just wonder why people are raving about the vypyrs, they are so frustrating, I just wanted to smash the {censored}ing thing out the window hoping a truck would drag it a few blocks down, but I needed that money back.. :cry:

I {censored}ing HATE the vypyr. :mad:

-D

• Members

I have owned the Spider Valve for two years now and have gigged with it solid in that that time. I havent had any problems getting great clean and distortion tones from it. The pres sets SUCK and the effects arent that great either but I really dont care since I use pedals.

My buddy has the Spider III and its not terrible but at gig volume my SV absolutely KILLS it.....

Tried the Vypyrs out in the store and was not really impressed with any of the tones I got from them and there was something funky with the noise gate on all of them. Two of them wouldnt even power on:facepalm: As far as build quality I would say these are the worst out of the three, they just look junky:lol:

• Members

You could run this into anything with a decent clean and a 12" speaker, and you'll be good to go.

Dude, do you know the price of these and if they are available? I couldnt find any contact info on there sight. that thing sounds nice!:thu:

• Members

Yes, the spider valve has a Bogner designed valve power section.. That is true.. I have never tried the spider valve in person, but I have never been a huge fan of the Line-6 preamp models.. That just my opinion though..

• Members

I have owned the Spider Valve for two years now and have gigged with it solid in that that time. I havent had any problems getting great clean and distortion tones from it. The pres sets SUCK and the effects arent that great either but I really dont care since I use pedals.

My buddy has the Spider III and its not terrible but at gig volume my SV absolutely KILLS it.....

Tried the Vypyrs out in the store and was not really impressed with any of the tones I got from them and there was something funky with the noise gate on all of them. Two of them wouldnt even power on:facepalm: As far as build quality I would say these are the worst out of the three, they just look junky:lol:

Yes the Vypers had reliability issues at first, and they do have that wierd batman thing on them (which can be removed), but their preamp models are superior to Line-6 IMO, and less digital sounding.. I had a Spider III a while back and I could not get over the distortion sounding digitally produced.. Perhaps the spider valve has overcome this to some degree...

• Members

Yes the Vypers had reliability issues at first, and they do have that wierd batman thing on them (which can be removed), but their preamp models are superior to Line-6 IMO, and less digital sounding.. I had a Spider III a while back and I could not get over the distortion sounding digitally produced.. Perhaps the spider valve has overcome this to some degree...

The spider valve sounds 100X better than the III, and with the SVpre mod to the SV it makes it very nice:thu:

• Members

Does the spider 4 have this SVpre you speak of?

Only the Valve Spiders have this option I think.

Its a simple input replacement board with a preamp tube so that the guitar in hits the tube buffer first then the digital preamp and then too the tube power amp.

However the mod isnt in production anymore from some accounts and voids the warranty.

• Members

I bought a SpideValve a month or so ago and it's actually a pretty decent amp for what it is. I bought it for my cover band but havent gigged with it because I havent bought a footcontroller yet, but so far at practice it sounds really good...and I can volume down and clean up my signal without all that digital breakup you get from other modeler amps:thu:

Archived