OT: About to go in a meeting to ask for a raise...what do I do?

boatshoes

• Members

well...he offered me a raise at 3% of what I was getting paid.

he said he would get back to me to verify. did i do ok?

i feel like such a {censored}.

3%.... Lets say you make 50000 a year, that gives you about $80 raise a month. This is a decent inflation raise, but unfortunately, thats not considered a raise per se.

Now say your salary is 10G a year, then that turns into $16 a month. Yeah... 50c a day.

A raise is considered 10% or over. But that depends on your career path. If you work beyond your duty and have exeptional performance in your work, 20% is not uncommon. In my field, depending on how well you do, raises happen once you move up, like most places. My biggest jump was from 40 to 60 a year. ~50%... But thats after 4 years of full time + training on the side for extra qualifications...

-D

• Members

A 3% raise = I'll just give him something insignificant to shut him up. I don't know how much you make, but lets say it's $40,000/year. 3% extra would get you an additional $46 every 2-week pay period. After taxes, you would get about $30 of that. So...basically jack {censored}. The problem with accepting a low raise like that is that now you have to wait before you can ask for another one. You employer knows this, and played you. You should have told him to take his offer and shove it up his ass. It's almost an insult to give someone such a small raise.

No matter what you guys say...3% is an "industry standard".

Would we all like 10% and get full wood e-cocks? Yes.

Used to be 3% was a minimum yearly increase......but times are different now. Not every retard is gonna get 3%. Lots of great smart hardworking people are getting nothing or less.

You've neglected to include that huge raises puts you at a dead end real quick as well. "maxed out" is what they call it.

There's always more sides to the story than a big bro hurrah.

"take your offer and shove it up your ass"= new thread about how awesome unemployment is. :rolleyes:

• Members

Used to be 3% was a minimum yearly increase......but times are different now. Not every retard is gonna get 3%. Lots of great smart hardworking people are getting nothing or less.

You've neglected to include that huge raises puts you at a dead end real quick as well. "maxed out" is what they call it.

"take your offer and shove it up your ass"= new thread about how awesome unemployment is.
:rolleyes:

Adjusting for inflation is not considered a "raise". And no...making more money does not put you at a dead end.

• Members

Adjusting for inflation is not considered a "raise". And no...making more money does not put you at a dead end.

No one said this was COLA. You don't get that any more...not most people. Us sub humans don't get COLA, COI, *and* a sweet little big raise to boot.

And yes sir...making more money can most certainly put you at "maxxed out".

I don't know which book or which moss or which planet you live in or on...but it's a fantasy world viewing from here. I've seen MANY professional wages frozen or worse.

:idk:...nwtt. Have a good one.

• Members

Now seriously... this.

Also, and that's probably the most important part of the puzzle, how is the company doing overall? If sales and profits are down, asking for a raise right now shows them you do NOT deserve to earn more, being so out of touch with the company's reality.

If they are having a strong year, then follow the advice above.

If sales and profits are down and they cut others, thus heaping their workload on him while at the same time not compensating him for that increased workload, yet are totally happy to get their bonus or take out their profits at the end of the year, well then I say {censored} that business and go find something else. I'm a good employee, and I'll bust my ass, but I ain't doing this {censored} to make bosses happy or be their buddies, I'm doing it because I have a work ethic and I want $$$.

• Members

"take your offer and shove it up your ass"= new thread about how awesome unemployment is.
:rolleyes:

So, would you rather have 10 years of being at the maxed out wage, or 5? :wave:

If you're a good employee, and a good personal marketer, then you can find a job in near any economy. Are there exceptions, hell yes, I know some. Still, for the most part, if you're unemployed for any length of time there's a reason, and you can't just blame the economy and society.

Archived