Rig Help. Jet City JCA20H owners help me out!

MattTele

• Members

My amp is a Jet City JCA20H which is EXTREMELY bright its hard to dial out, my pedalboard looks like this(see picture)

I cant really find a sound I'm happy with. I play rockish stuff, and metal. What can I do to my amp that will help me out??

I want a clean tone too, which makes things SO much harder for myself.

What am I needing to do?

Btw, Im playing a John5 Tele(2 Hums), a partscaster tele(single,minihum), and a Black Beauty LesPaul(3hums, so bassy)

Help?:facepalm:

-Matt

• Members

Cheap way: Just turn the amp on, turn the volume up to practice levels and then use a pen or pencil and tap each tube. If you hear one ringing funny, then you replace it. $10-20

Expensive way: 3 x 12ax7 + 2 x EL84 ...

http://www.dougstubes.com/12ax7.html

Shuguang 9th Gen: 10.50 ea (need 3)

http://www.dougstubes.com/el84.html

JJ EL84: 11.00 ea (need 2)

So about $55 plus shipping, but that tube combination would be worth it. Great proven tubes. Might get a bit more gain with the shuguangs too..

-D

• Members

Don't be afraid to turn down the mid and treble controls and increase the bass. Use the presence control to give it edge.

Also, pop in some JJ EL84s (have bias checked) and Electro-Harmonix 12ax7EH. If you have some cash you could pick up one NOS RFT ECC83 pre-amp tube for V1. It's a high gain, wonderfully rich, dark tube. Worth every penny in the right amp.

• Members

Hey, didn't I just see you in the pedalboard thread? :lol:

I have JCA20H, too, and I love it! A preamp tube swap would likely solve your problems. I would go with JJ or Ruby 12ax7s. Also, remember that your English Muff'n is VERY bright and to NEVER NEVER NEVER turn on the Top Boost on your Metal Muff.

• Members

what cab are you using? through my jet city 2x12 with the stock tubes it was bright as hell..had the treble and presence never above 4. now im running it through a 4x12 with vintage 30's and it sounds amazing..have the treble up around 6..sounds great..i also dropped in a pair of mullard EL-84's which i read would fatten the sound up a bit, which it sounds to me like it did just that..i didnt worry about biasing the amp just because these amps are colder to get more life out of teh tubez..its sounds amazing..i've been using it over my mark III and VTM 60 as of late..and with a bad monkey in front of it, it sounds ridiculous!!!!!! don't give up! video below is just a camera mic..but it gives an okay example..the guitar i used was just a stock epi LP with the stock {censored} pickups, if that gives you any idea of what new preamp and power tubes can do.

..tried to embed, couldn't figure it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFS2nTV-1lc

• Members

What would you guys suggest for a new amp then? I think im about ready to move on...

i'd suggest you post your full rig WITH speakers, pickups, and how you dial in the amp or you may fall prey to doing something rash due to user error.

'bright' is the end product of a LOT of things, and if you want a new amp, by all means, buy one- but you're not solving it by leaving it at 'my amp is bright'.

use what you've got FIRST, but figure out where the problem is.

• Members

Hey, don't forget to you use the EQ pedal on your board. Looks like right now you are using it only as a boost. Try adding a bit of low mids when using your brighter guitar. I have a Warmoth/GFS Strat and a PRS SE Singlecut. I basically set the amp for the PRS and then use my EQ pedal to help out the strat.

• Members

Huh, I have a stock 20, running into their matching 2x12 and I don't think it's that bright at all.. Though, I do run the master full and use the gain as a master volume. It's just nice, crunchy, and clear.

mine seemed pretty bright but im running my pregain and master opposite..amp doesn't have many tweaking options, but a lot depends on your rig!!

• Members

what cab are you using? through my jet city 2x12 with the stock tubes it was bright as hell..had the treble and presence never above 4. now im running it through a 4x12 with vintage 30's and it sounds amazing..have the treble up around 6..sounds great..i also dropped in a pair of mullard EL-84's which i read would fatten the sound up a bit, which it sounds to me like it did just that..i didnt worry about biasing the amp just because these amps are colder to get more life out of teh tubez..its sounds amazing..i've been using it over my mark III and VTM 60 as of late..and with a bad monkey in front of it, it sounds ridiculous!!!!!! don't give up! video below is just a camera mic..but it gives an okay example..the guitar i used was just a stock epi LP with the stock {censored} pickups, if that gives you any idea of what new preamp and power tubes can do.

..tried to embed, couldn't figure it.

What kind of 12ax7's are you running?

• Members

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2619538

some good info in that thread.

before last weekend id never changed tubes. for the jc 20w head all you have to do is unscrew the 6 screws on the back plate and apply a little pressure and you can pop the back panel off. then just swap whatever tubes you want. preamp, poweramp- acording to jet city you dont need to have the amp rebiased even with new power tubes as longs as theye el84s.

:)

btw- youre using an english muffin- i wouldnt be so quick to blame the jc for your shrill tone. thats what the english muffin sounds like to most people.

• Members

Don't be afraid to turn down the mid and treble controls and increase the bass. Use the presence control to give it edge.

Also, pop in some JJ EL84s (have bias checked) and Electro-Harmonix 12ax7EH. If you have some cash you could pick up one NOS RFT ECC83 pre-amp tube for V1. It's a high gain, wonderfully rich, dark tube. Worth every penny in the right amp.

I've been seriously considering investing in an RFT for mine. I find it pretty bright. What kind of tubes would you recommend in the other positions with an RFT in V1. Also looking to get rid of the fizz on the top end with gain cranked, anybody got some suggestions for tubes to help eliminate that?

• Members

Also looking to get rid of the fizz on the top end with gain cranked, anybody got some suggestions for tubes to help eliminate that?

i have high gain jj 12ax7s in all three preamp slots. it got rid of the high end fizzle and improved the clean and dirt tone drastically. :)

• Members

i have high gain jj 12ax7s in all three preamp slots. it got rid of the high end fizzle and improved the clean and dirt tone drastically.
:)

Did the jj's darken the amp a bunch? You still using stock EL84's?

• Members

Thanks a ton guys for the suggestions, i only got the amp for 200 bones, so i have some money to play around with tube combos, which would you suggest for a quieter and darker tone? Also more gain if its possible?

Im looking for a 4x12 and it gets pretty expensive quick.

-Matt

sorry for the late late reply.

• Members

Hey, didn't I just see you in the pedalboard thread?
:lol:

I have JCA20H, too, and I love it! A preamp tube swap would likely solve your problems. I would go with JJ or Ruby 12ax7s. Also, remember that your English Muff'n is VERY bright and to NEVER NEVER NEVER turn on the Top Boost on your Metal Muff.

Yeah that top boost is basically useless haha, I took the English Muff'n off the board for now. untill i replace tubes.

• Members

Thanks a ton guys for the suggestions, i only got the amp for 200 bones, so i have some money to play around with tube combos, which would you suggest for a quieter and darker tone? Also more gain if its possible?

Im looking for a 4x12 and it gets pretty expensive quick.

-Matt

sorry for the late late reply.

Maybe someone else can reply with experience, but I've read that a NOS RFT ecc83 is a darker, high gain tube, don't know how quiet they are. I may try one out in my JCA20H.

Archived