Question for Steven Slate Drums users...

MattACaster

• Members

What do you guys use to program the drums parts?

Are you essentially creating a midi track and then dumping it into your DAW and applying the plugin over?

I'd like to start using them for some recordings but I'm not sure what I need to get started.

• Members

I use tabit to tab out the entire song, guitar, bass, drums. Then export the bass as a midi file and convert it to a wav file. Then export drums as a midi file and import that to reaper, load Kontakt onto that track, and pick my drum kit. I just use the stock metal kit thats in there. Ive had problems with china symbols lining up correctly, but in reaper, you can easily move those notes to the correct drum or symbol hit.

• Members

Well I dont have SSD, but creating drum tracks is the same.. If you are taking pre-programmed loops, all you do then is just get the tempo of the song and plug in the MIDI loops to fit your song..For creating a MIDI drum beat from scratch all you have to do is set up a blank MIDI track and open the piano roll or better yet, a drum editor and start placing the individual hits in... For the midi track the output should be set to the SSD VSTi...

• Members

I used to draw them in by hand, but lately i've been starting with a MIDI file, both Slate and Toontrack come with a bunch, and then modifying that. OR play something in on and V-Drums roughly and fix it up from there.

• Members

I used to draw them in by hand, but lately i've been starting with a MIDI file, both Slate and Toontrack come with a bunch, and then modifying that. OR play something in on and V-Drums roughly and fix it up from there.

I would imagine I could use the triggers on my real kit to trigger SSD but what I initially want to use it for is to create drum tracks for song ideas. Basically if there is a program I can use to visually line all the hits up, that'd be great. Then, I guess export to midi and stick that into Reaper and apply the VST for SSD.

Does that sound right?

• Members

I would imagine I could use the triggers on my real kit to trigger SSD but what I initially want to use it for is to create drum tracks for song ideas. Basically if there is a program I can use to visually line all the hits up, that'd be great. Then, I guess export to midi and stick that into Reaper and apply the VST for SSD.

Does that sound right?

Thats exactly what I do with tabit...

Check out tabit.net. You just write out a drum tab...looks like regular tab, you can also tab guitar and bass....so you have the whole song, and it plays as midi, and you can export each track individually. It will save your tempo and everything, then you just pop it into reaper and load the SSD over that track. Its really easy...

Reaper also has a midi editor that you can use to create midi files...but I dont know how to use it other than moving drum and cymbol hits around.

• Members

Thats exactly what I do with tabit...

Check out tabit.net. You just write out a drum tab...looks like regular tab, you can also tab guitar and bass....so you have the whole song, and it plays as midi, and you can export each track individually. It will save your tempo and everything, then you just pop it into reaper and load the SSD over that track. Its really easy...

Reaper also has a midi editor that you can use to create midi files...but I dont know how to use it other than moving drum and cymbol hits around.

Interesting. I will check that out. :thu:

• Members

Does that sound right?

There might be a program Im not familiar with that will allow you to program outside of a DAW, but you can do all this in Reaper... The "visually line up all the hit's" you are referring to will be defined by the tempo/time sig you set in Reaper.. Once you set the tempo, the MIDI track will be set to grid and you will be able to quantize hits to fit the grid, whether it be 8th notes, 16th notes. triplet 8ths, etc.etc.

• Members

You can tab the drums in Guitar Pro and then export the MIDI if that's easier than working in Reaper for you.

Im guessing thats similar to how tabit works...tabit has a better interface, IMO, than guitar pro.

• Members

You can do all that {censored} in your DAWs midi editor.

Open up a track with your Drum program loaded on it.

Insert new midi item.

Double said midi item.

There you will see a grid of measures and beats as the columns, and the midi notes for individual kit pieces as the rows.

Program the hits by clicking the appropriate midi value(corresponding to your kick drum, etc.) at the appropriate time point. Essentially you just tab it out like you would a guitar tab, but instead of strings, you have kick, snare, hat, etc.

easy to go in and edit. you dont have to import anything. I program as I record. riff by riff.

• Members

There might be a program Im not familiar with that will allow you to program outside of a DAW, but you can do all this in Reaper... The "visually line up all the hit's" you are referring to will be defined by the tempo/time sig you set in Reaper.. Once you set the tempo, the MIDI track will be set to grid and you will be able to quantize hits to fit the grid, whether it be 8th notes, 16th notes. triplet 8ths, etc.etc.

Wow...

Fail to me for not knowing Reaper could already do this. :facepalm:

• Members

Wow...

Fail to me for not knowing Reaper could already do this.
:facepalm:

Nah, everyone's gotta learn it from scratch at some point.. Once you are able to get one sound programmed and be able to play it back in Reaper, you'll understand how to do it.. And being you play some drums, it should come fairly quick for you to program some decent realistic beats... it definitely helps having a good understanding of how a drummer plays.. Some guys program with a drummer with 4 arms and 3 legs.. Which is cool too, if its used right..

• Members

Nah, everyone's gotta learn it from scratch at some point.. Once you are able to get one sound programmed and be able to play it back in Reaper, you'll understand how to do it.. And being you play some drums, it should come fairly quick for you to program some decent realistic beats... it definitely helps having a good understanding of how a drummer plays.. Some guys program with a drummer with 4 arms and 3 legs.. Which is cool too, if its used right..

Yeah, I've been playing seriously for about 5 years now. Unfortunately, my house is less then desirable for recording decent sounding drums. I'm going to have to cheat. :lol:

Archived