what software do you recommend for demos

fistacuffs

• Members

I went to check out some recording software today and I am still not sure.

The salesguy recommended guitar rig for $269 (canadian dollars)

and the other store had all the line 6 stuff starting as low as $99 bux for the basic guitar to USB interface(including software)

I want to record riffs before I forget them. to a metronome.

then have the option to add a drum track later. but I want some drum sim included.

and I want it as simple as possible.

• Members

Unless Guitar Rig has changed dramatically since I last used it, it's not "recording software" in itself. You'll need some kind of host software, an interface to record your signal with, and then if you're just recording dry signals to process later, some plugins for amp modeling.

What to get depends on how far you want to go with it really. You could go for Reaper for a cheap host program, and for amp modeling you can go as far as getting free plugins. There's a whole bunch of stuff out now that's freeware, and while I haven't tried any of it myself yet, apparently there's some great stuff out there. :idk:

• Members

Firstly, what platform?

If you're on PC, though I do not advocate piracy in any form, as a consumer trying out a few isn't going to be crime of the Century. I tried out sonar and cubase before buying a few years back. I made my decision. It later turned out I needed both, so whutever.

IMO:

Reaper - nice little program, it's free and it works. For what you want right now, I can't see how it's a bad deal!

Cubase - the best of the best. But it's a learning curve compared to the rest.

Sonar - Easy to use, loads of features, the pro version comes with Guitar rig. Good software.

If I were you, for what you want, I would:

- download Reaper

- Find a used Pod XT or Pod X3

- Think about a cheap soundcard, the Auidophile 2496 is a good bet at

• Members

I'd go for Sonar Home Studio, personally. Reaper is cheap but not very user-friendly.

it's not?

i haven't found that to be the case at all. with a few glances at the manual, and a full active forum, you can practically get any answers you need within a day!

if you're not accustomed to boards.. it can be tricky, i guess. i needed a hand at first-- but the resources were available fo shiz.

hell.. if you ran into issues, half the guys around here use it.. just shout.

• Members

I'd go for Sonar Home Studio, personally. Reaper is cheap but not very user-friendly.

Yep. It is often on sale. I picked it up for $50 and it has everything you can need. Including guitar sim plugins built in.

If you want to record good demos, I'd avoid guitar sims for anything metal based. But they can do every other style really well.

• Members

Another reaper vote.

Are you gonna tell me that one 24/96 wav is better than the other because of the audio software? Its the same {censored}....the mics / interface make the biggest diff.....sink your cash into that.

• Members

Another reaper vote.

Are you gonna tell me that one 24/96 wav is better than the other because of the audio software? Its the same {censored}....the mics / interface make the biggest diff.....sink your cash into that.

AND books and learning and monitors and ram and....

and with reaper.. {censored}.. just use a last gen laptop and save your cpu a lot of wear and tear because it's a lightweight program. i don't want to have to keep updating to NOW tech as well just to make DEMOS.

• Members

AND books and learning and monitors and ram and....

and with reaper.. {censored}.. just use a last gen laptop and save your cpu a lot of wear and tear because it's a lightweight program. i don't want to have to keep updating to NOW tech as well just to make DEMOS.

Well of course. learning can be acquired and what better way than just going for it?

RAM / Monitors...well those are always classified in "the more the merrier" category IMO.

• Members

Well of course. learning can be acquired and what better way than just going for it?

RAM / Monitors...well those are always classified in "the more the merrier" category IMO.

:lol:

hell yeah.. after 20 years, i'm still learning every time i sit down to push the button. i'm just agreein' with y' cause yer right!

• Members

:lol:

hell yeah.. after 20 years, i'm still learning every time i sit down to push the button. i'm just agreein' with y' cause yer right!

You got mics up the wazoo dude I be you can coax sweet tones from a cow fart!

Archived