Would you date a girl who didn't go to high school?

thinkpad20

• Members

So I've been on the hunt for a girlfriend for quite a while, and it's been a {censored}ing PITA. Cultural/language barriers aplenty, and some of the worst luck imaginable. Anyway I finally seem to have clicked with someone. She's pretty, nice, plays guitar in a punk band, all that good stuff.

But she never went to high school. And not to stroke my ego or anything, but I'm a fairly well-educated individual, BA in physics from a top 10 college. In Japan there's no requirement to attend beyond junior high, which goes up to the equivalent of 9th grade in USA. Although granted it's WAAAAAY more intense than the equivalent education in most American schools. But the fact remains... I mean it's pretty rare in America to find someone who didn't at least finish high school. To have not even gone..?

But maybe I'm just being elitist. It doesn't mean she's not intelligent per se. Maybe she just didn't like the work, and since you can get jobs without it (working in stores and the like), it's not as big of a deal from a practical standpoint to decide not to go. Besides, as a practical matter, all of the communication has been and will be in Japanese, a language at which I'm pretty decent but not 100% fluent. I don't have the vocab to talk about "deeper" stuff (politics, religion, philosophy, science, current events, etc) for the most part.

I'll probably end up dating her, at least for a while, and I guess the education gap will either be an issue or it won't. But, seeing as it's an interesting situation, I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you want to be bo-red.

I mean, so long as she knows how to spell properly and doesn't say things like, "I THINK THAT GLOBAL WARMING AND SUCH AS" he'll be okay.

thats the perfect girl.

all you gotta do is say something smart, she gets confused, then she shuts up and sucks cock.

• Members

It probably won't be an issue until you become very well versed in Japanese. I'm sure once you can articulate more abstract concepts you'll probably want a girl who can keep up/challenge you. Perhaps she is capable of doing this sort of thing already, but I have no idea how you will find out (ask her friends?). Anyways, if you're looking for something short term then date her. If not, try to find out what you can about her and make your decision then.

• Members

Go for it. If it don't work it's no big deal. You never know, she could be the one for you.

It's not like she could never get anymore education in the future. I'm guessing Japan has something equivalent to a GED. Or perhaps it will never be an issue.

• Members
maybe I'm just being elitist.

Ya think?:lol:

You meet a girl you're apparently into and you're bitching about it because she doesn't have the education credentials you require?:facepalm:

If she's not a complete dunce you can't even talk to without wanting to stab yourself in the brain go with it and see what happens. I know plenty of American women who have 4-year degrees or higher and are dumber than a {censored}ing rock. The highest educational level you have completed has little bearing on whether or not you're an idiot, especially here in the US where anyone with a pulse can get a college degree.

• Members

If you're reasonably intelligent yourself you can usually spot it in others, whatever their educational background, even through a moderate language barrier.
Having said that, you've found a nice, pretty Japanese girl who plays guitar in a punk band and all you want to do is check her diploma.
Maybe it's YOU who ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer. ;)

Archived