AJFA = Best Metallica album

mike moriarty

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I feel like I should say something, but I just don't know what it is.
:confused::o

That's like saying, "No way, I'd definitely rather eat horse {censored} over cow {censored}. Cow {censored} tastes horrible, smells horrible, and the texture is disgusting."

• Members

The complexities of the song structures, the riffs, and the sound of AJFA makes everything else they did seem simple and repetitive.

What are you talking about? The structures on that album are meandering and EXTREMELY repetitive. And it's so painful listening to Lars try to slog his way through the occasional odd-metered bar.

• Members

AJFA probably worst of their first 4.

The tone is putrid, the production is terrible, the repetition, the inability of Lars to play any of his parts outside of 4/4, Kirk's worst lead tone in the world and really weird experimental crap solos, etc.

Comparing a {censored}ball like And Justice For All and a masterpiece like Ride The Lightning is a joke.

• Members

AJFA probably worst of their first 4.

The tone is putrid, the production is terrible, the repetition, the inability of Lars to play any of his parts outside of 4/4, Kirk's worst lead tone in the world and really weird experimental crap solos, etc.

Comparing a {censored}ball like And Justice For All and a masterpiece like Ride The Lightning is a joke.

RTL production is muffled as {censored}. Sounds like it was recorded in the 60's. The arrangements are amaturish compared to AJFA.

• Members

RTL production is muffled as {censored}. Sounds like it was recorded in the 60's. The arrangements are amaturish compared to AJFA.

AJFA wasn't all that complicated or arranged in a crazy manner. Besides an occasional tempo change and time signature change, it was rather lame.

We're talking 1989 here. Albums like Altars of Madness made AJFA look like childs play when it comes to structure. Not to mention Rust in Peace came out a year later and took a dump on AJFA.

RTL is straight punch off your {censored}ing dick guitar tone. Kirk's solos were actually {censored}ing epic. It was just a pinnacle thrash record.

AJFA was some random bull{censored} where they tried to apply the 2 hours of theory they learned from better guitarists.

• Members

/ thread

Then why post it?

If you consider "proper Metallica" to exclude the Black Album, then it is actually their worst "proper" album. It is very obvious that the creative genius that made Metallica relevant was the contributions of Hetfield, Burton, and Mustaine. Without Mustaine, Metallica was hamstrung but viable, without Mustaine and Burton, AJFA was the last gasp of the band... awesome, chunky riffs, (with hetfield doing his part) but the horrible mixing with the bass washed out aptly illustrated the void in the band without cliff. I imagine it took everything out of them to muster AJFA, and in retrospect, I have a feeling that the Bob Rock "pop seduction" and the money grubbing was less about greed and more about fear that the band could not hack it without the loss of the other 2 creative forces. There has been at least two attempts to show they can still cut it... both failed.

That said, AJFA was a great album, and more consistent (every track was solid) but RTL and MOP, though inconsistent (Escape, Thing that should not be) had hits that were far better than the best AJFA could deliver, not to mention that from a tonal perspective AJFA was the worst. Even their {censored} albums had better tone.

• Members

No, the arrangements on RTL are coherent. Metallica trying to sound cerebral is just plain :facepalm:. You end up with random nonsensical changes, pointless repetition, unnecessary odd time sigs, ridiculous tempo changes, etc. AJFA is the album to listen to if you want nonsensical changes and a {censored}load of redundancy.

And I'd rather the raw and aggressive sound on RTL than the sterile, mid-scooped, bass-less rubbish that is AJFA.

• Members

Ride the Lightning is their best album, followed by Kill Em All.

If I don't feel like listening to those albums, then I'll listen to another band entirely. M.O.P. has 2 filler tracks in the first half of the album, AJFA's production makes it unpleasant to listen to, and I'll take Motley Crue over the black album.

Archived