So many Tube screamer mods! Which to chose!?

Fendert

• Members

I got a RI TS-9 that is crying to be modded, I'm well capable to do it my self I'm very good with a soldering iron, but most people don't sell DIY kits :mad:

I really just want to know which is the best!? ( not very specific is it?)

well I've read about all the popular things you can mod about the ts9 and they all sound cool, except I dont care for a mod that when the gain is zero there is more gain then a stock. I want to be able use it as a kind of clean sometimes too!

• Members

Good question, and while I bet some people here can help, I bet you'd have more luck on the effects forum.

This isn't an answer to your question, but since we're on the topic of Tubescreamers: I had both a TS7 and a TS808 reissue at the same time, and ditched the 808. The TS7 works better as a boost, and sounded more or less the same when played into a clean amp.

• Members

mod it for "less min gain" if you want to have it as a mid boost.

i do it by changing one resistor value.

which resistor you might ask?

its more fun if you find out yourself...try building one from scratch...youll see from that there is plenty of mods to be done.

• Members

mod it for "less min gain" if you want to have it as a mid boost.

i do it by changing one resistor value.

which resistor you might ask?

its more fun if you find out yourself...try building one from scratch...youll see from that there is plenty of mods to be done.

I've built a tone pad ross comp and it turned out great. I was thinking about building my own Tube screamer, but I just dont have the time right now :/ thats why I have a ts9 thats built already and I can just mod it!

• Members

If you are afraid of FUBARing it or weighing some difficult to reverse mods, you should grab an Ibanez Soundtank TS5.

They are identical TS9 reissues with the crappy plastic housing, and they can be had cheaply (for now until enough people get wise). I would pick one or two of those up as guinea pigs then you can try any and all the mods guilt free. Not only that but you'll have the ability to dual drive the TS5 and your TS9

• Members

lulz...I swear I'm the only one that likes the mid hump for boosting...so much I put it back in...old photo, it's even a bit more "humpy" these days.

The amp I gig most with has loads of midrange already, so I prefer the boost to be balanced, and if anything add a little extra bass.

• Members

Ah, the TS-9. We've had a strange love affair over the years, as modding it is what got me into modding pedals, which led to building and designing (no, I don't design the pedals for Maxon or any other line in Godlyke).

Modding became REALLY addictive, and I modded my TS-9 so much in high school that the traces on the PCB peeled off like it was nothing. It's a very cramped circuit board, and most of the parts that you swap out are standing resistors or diodes. There is a Minimum gain mod. It involve changing the 51k resistor to a lower value. You can very easily google TS-9 mods, and the pictures will detail which parts to replace. You can buy the parts at radioshack. You'll be paying a lot per part, but if you're only buying 5 parts, it's ok.

Now when you say the pedal is begging to be modded, what else do you want out of it besides being cleaner on the gain dial at 0?

• Members

The amp I gig most with has loads of midrange already, so I prefer the boost to be balanced, and if anything add a little extra bass.

Sure, but it's a different effect when you boost pre-gain. Like you said though, depends on the amp. Also depends on the guitar too. That's why I have three boosts on my board. All for different effects, guitars, etc.

• Members

Depends on what you want basically. The mods tend to fall into 4 categories:

1) Dont cut bass as much. 1 Cap

2) Changing clipping diodes. This changes the saturation amount

3) The amount of gain. More or less.

4) General part upgrades for higher fidelity.

Oh, and I guess True-bypass, although I wouldnt bother. At that point Id rather just build one from scratch or a BYOC kit or something.

• Members

Ah, the TS-9. We've had a strange love affair over the years, as modding it is what got me into modding pedals, which led to building and designing (no, I don't design the pedals for Maxon or any other line in Godlyke).

Modding became REALLY addictive, and I modded my TS-9 so much in high school that the traces on the PCB peeled off like it was nothing. It's a very cramped circuit board, and most of the parts that you swap out are standing resistors or diodes. There is a Minimum gain mod. It involve changing the 51k resistor to a lower value. You can very easily google TS-9 mods, and the pictures will detail which parts to replace. You can buy the parts at radioshack. You'll be paying a lot per part, but if you're only buying 5 parts, it's ok.

Now when you say the pedal is begging to be modded, what else do you want out of it besides being cleaner on the gain dial at 0?

Pretty Much I want Higher fidelity, better bass response, I like the mid hump my self because thats how you stick out in the mix is with teh MIDZZ

I don't necessarily want less gain, I don't think? I have also have a STL super tube, which is a pretty much a ST9 clone and I keep that at zero gain but it still has a a pretty good amount even on zero. so I dont need more gain.

Archived