Scotch drinkers.......

primeholy

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't really like it when I had it. If you end up disliking it I highly recommend the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. It's a little more expensive but not outrageous (I got a bottle on sale for under $50 but it is usually $65 or so in most stores).

• Members

Good first purchase. Another good one to start with is a Glenlivet 12. As far as scotch's go, they're pretty standard.

From there, branch out and try some of the different regional malts (Highlands, Speyside, Islay, etc.) A lot of subtle differences....and some shocking ones. Some that I enjoy: Balvenie 15, Glenmorangie 15, Oban 14, Macallan 15 and Laphroig 15. I also recently started trying Arran's. They have several different finishes and I am enjoying the hell out of them.

If you're feeling brave, pick up a Laphroig....they are peaty and smoky and you will either love it or hate it.

And BTW, welcome to the sickness. :wave: Seems like once people get into scotch, they get into it. It ain't a cheap habit.

• Members
Good first purchase. Another good one to start with is a Glenlivet 12. As far as scotch's go, they're pretty standard.

From there, branch out and try some of the different regional malts (Highlands, Speyside, Islay, etc.) A lot of subtle differences....and some shocking ones. Some that I enjoy: Balvenie 15, Glenmorangie 15, Oban 14, Macallan 15 and Laphroig 15. I also recently started trying Arran's. They have several different finishes and I am enjoying the hell out of them.

If you're feeling brave, pick up a Laphroig....they are peaty and smoky and you will either love it or hate it.

And BTW, welcome to the sickness.
:wave:
Seems like once people get into scotch,
they get into it
. It ain't a cheap habit.

Good list, man. BTW Laphroig 15 is gone, but now they have an 18 and it's fabulous. In fact, I plan to sip a little this evening.

To the OP: you did OK for a first scotch - nothing wrong with that stuff and ya gotta start somewhere. For your next bottle, I'd suggest Balvenie Doublewood 12. Very very nice drinkable stuff with a sweeter finish and pretty reasonable, like $35 - 45. After that, try an Islay like Laphroig 10 ($35) or maybe Lagavulin 16 ($50 - 60).

• Members
Good list, man. BTW Laphroig 15 is gone, but now they have an 18 and it's fabulous. In fact, I plan to sip a little this evening.

To the OP: you did OK for a first scotch - nothing wrong with that stuff and ya gotta start somewhere. For your next bottle, I'd suggest Balvenie Doublewood 12. Very very nice drinkable stuff with a sweeter finish and pretty reasonable, like $35 - 45. After that, try an Islay like Laphroig 10 ($35) or maybe Lagavulin 15 ($50 - 60).

Lagavulin 15 is like $125 here :( Too bad, cause it's probably my favorite so far.

Another Glenmorangie (the Nectar d'Or) is a close second...

Currently have a Laphroaig 10 "Quarter Cask". It's good stuff... kinda like drinking a campfire lol :thu:

• Members

Glenfiddich is pretty good stuff. It's one of those brands where I follow the pattern of aged longer = I like it better. So, to me the 12 is good, the 15 is really good, and the 18 is great. Not every label is like that, sometimes the cheaper, younger bottles can be better.

My favorite way to drink scotches is English, that's with one or two ice cubes. What it accomplishes is it gives you the cool strait scotch as you start drinking, and as you drink and the ice melts, it turns into a warmer scotch + water, which brings out the sweetness. If you don't add something it can shock your taste buds too much and you can miss some flavors. If you add more than two ice cubes, after too long it will get too watery. Neat is fine too, everyone's different.

• Members

I'm a cost/benefit guy and nothing beats Bowmore Legend @ $30/bottle. Sure, you can kick out $60-$70 for something better, but why? I'm on my 4th glass tonight, btw. :D

**edit**

And yes... One small ice cube in 2oz of booze is the way to go. :thu:

• Members
BTW Laphroig 15 is gone

lol, wut? Edit: AAARRRGHHHH!!! Now I've to dash to the shops to buy up the remaining stock!

And OP should try some of the 'regular' 12yo Glenfiddich, the one in the pic is the Corran reserve which is Glenfiddich's attempt to attract Islay drinkers, completely different to
glenfiddich_12yo.jpg

Also, if you're gonna make a rusty nail, use a run-o-the-mill blend, such as grouse (if you really must, then I guess bell's will do)

Archived