Life Dilemma? Go to HCAF

Slim Jim

• Members

My brother is in school to become a surgical assistant. I can tell you that you should be working in a lab or somewhere similar if you want to get into PA school. Most of them aren't just taking bio grads with no experience now. Definitely stay in school and see if you can work at the school lab or in some other lab doing simple tasks since you don't have experience. And $20/h is jack {censored}. Don't mess up your future for that.

• Members

College degrees are HIGHLY over rated.

You should do some research. Consider how much money you will make with a degree vs how much without it. Also factor in any debt you have to incur to finish school as well as the money you will lose by not earning money at your current job. People always say things like "Individuals with college degrees will earn $1,000,000 more in their lives than individuals with only a high school diploma." You should do a little reading before buying into that crap.

A college degree doesn't guarantee you anything. There are thousands upon thousands of individuals out there with college degrees that don't have jobs. You might get your degree and end up taking a job making less than what you make now in a field completely unrelated to your major

The necessity of a college degree is one of the biggest myths perpetuated upon the young people of this country. The educations that most receive are a joke anyway.

If I could cash in my degrees right now for all the money I have invested and a $20/hr job, I wouldn't think twice about it.

All that said, you only have one year left. If there is anyway at all that it is possible, I'd figure out a way to do both and make it work. It will most likely be horrible, but suck it up and get it done.

Am I bitter? Maybe a little.

I agree a degree it's not a guarantee of anything, but you can't look at life that way.

If you want something that's absolute guaranteed, you might as well kill yourself because that's pretty much the ONLY absolute in life.

A college degree will give you a competitive edge in the market. There are companies out there that will hire only people with some kind of degrees, other don't care, but I have not yet heard of a company where NOT having a degree is a requirement. By furthering your education, you are expanding your options.

I don't work in the field I majored in anymore, I have a computer science degree and I am currently a business analyst for a travel company but I DID work in that field for quite a bit and those jobs were the path to where I am at now. If I ever become unemployed again, I have option to search for employments in either field. Again, more options for decent employment.

To take a doorman job over a degree in bio is just a crazy move. Like I said, I work in the travel/hospitality field, my company owns a major hotel and restaurant chain. The mentality in this field is to operate as lean as possible and it is only a matter of time before places start cutting off doorman's altogether and people can go get the {censored}ing door themselves. When that happens, what do you do with nothing but doorman experience in your resume? Compare that to having a BS in bio and it's simply ridiculous how much you are limiting your possibilities by choosing not to have a degree.

If I am talking to somebody who cannot get a degree in any possible way, my advice is ok, do the best you can with what you have. But if there IS a way you can get one, by all means do it!! You will not regret it in the future.

So...sure, no guarantees, but in this economy ANY competitive edge you can get will come in handy. You don't want to go through a recession with nothing but a doorman experience to show for. Your options will be MUCH more limited if you go that route.

• Members

I seem to know quite a few people with bio degrees that aren't doing much except my close friend whose going to med school, seems like degree that you have to go to grad school to do anything with it. That said I think having the degree would be much better than not having one whatever future you decide.

• Members

I agree a degree it's not a guarantee of anything, but you can't look at life that way.

If you want something that's absolute guaranteed, you might as well kill yourself because that's pretty much the ONLY absolute in life.

A college degree will give you a competitive edge in the market. There are companies out there that will hire only people with some kind of degrees, other don't care, but I have not yet heard of a company where NOT having a degree is a requirement. By furthering your education, you are expanding your options.

I don't work in the field I majored in anymore, I have a computer science degree and I am currently a business analyst for a travel company but I DID work in that field for quite a bit and those jobs were the path to where I am at now. If I ever become unemployed again, I have option to search for employments in either field. Again, more options for decent employment.

To take a doorman job over a degree in bio is just a crazy move. Like I said, I work in the travel/hospitality field, my company owns a major hotel and restaurant chain. The mentality in this field is to operate as lean as possible and it is only a matter of time before places start cutting off doorman's altogether and people can go get the {censored}ing door themselves. When that happens, what do you do with nothing but doorman experience in your resume? Compare that to having a BS in bio and it's simply ridiculous how much you are limiting your possibilities by choosing not to have a degree.

If I am talking to somebody who cannot get a degree in any possible way, my advice is ok, do the best you can with what you have. But if there IS a way you can get one, by all means do it!! You will not regret it in the future.

So...sure, no guarantees, but in this economy ANY competitive edge you can get will come in handy. You don't want to go through a recession with nothing but a doorman experience to show for. Your options will be MUCH more limited if you go that route.

I'd rather have six years real work experience, be making about $40k a year, $100k cash, and no debt. (obviously you probably wouldn't have saved all that 100k, but you'd have some significant savings hopefully).

I have a bachelor's degree and a master's degree. I just took a job making only 35k a year because I have no useful work experience. There isn't {censored} out there. I applied for jobs all over this country as well as other countries. I applied for jobs I was WAY overqualified for as well as jobs that I wasn't even close to qualified. I applied for everything. I heard from maybe 3 of those. I spent HOURS filling out applications every day. Literally hundreds of applications. I graduated with a 3.81 GPA in undergrad and a 4.0 GPA in my master's program. It doesn't mean {censored}.

A buddy of mine got a job right out of high school working in a mine where I live. After six years, he is a foreman/boss and is making about 100k a year.

Do the math. Let's say his average earned a year was only 60k. He has earned at least $360k. He built a house, bought a couple nice vehicles that are paid off, etc.

In those same six years, I accumulated 40k in debt. I have a {censored}ty 12 year old car. I took a job that doesn't pay {censored} because I couldn't find anything else, and I have to begin repaying student loans in November.

This scenario doesn't exactly fit the OP though. I'd work and go part time. You could finish in a couple years.

• Members

I'd rather have six years real work experience, be making about $40k a year, $100k cash, and no debt. (obviously you probably wouldn't have saved all that 100k, but you'd have some significant savings hopefully).

I have a bachelor's degree and a master's degree. I just took a job making only 35k a year because I have no useful work experience. There isn't {censored} out there. I applied for jobs all over this country as well as other countries. I applied for jobs I was WAY overqualified for as well as jobs that I wasn't even close to qualified. I applied for everything. I heard from maybe 3 of those. I spent HOURS filling out applications every day. Literally hundreds of applications. I graduated with a 3.81 GPA in undergrad and a 4.0 GPA in my master's program. It doesn't mean {censored}.

A buddy of mine got a job right out of high school working in a mine where I live. After six years, he is a foreman/boss and is making about 100k a year.

Do the math. Let's say his average earned a year was only 60k. He has earned at least $360k. He built a house, bought a couple nice vehicles that are paid off, etc.

In those same six years, I accumulated 40k in debt. I have a {censored}ty 12 year old car. I took a job that doesn't pay {censored} because I couldn't find anything else, and I have to begin repaying student loans in November.

This scenario doesn't exactly fit the OP though. I'd work and go part time. You could finish in a couple years.

lol...man this makes me feel damn good about my situation after getting a degree.

Good luck man

• Members

I hear you. It's hard to get a good job right off college. Especially right now, it's hard to get a good job, period.

We opened a management position in our company recently and within 5 days we got 123 applications, no {censored}. They all have degrees because it was a requirement to even apply. Well, 122 of these candidates were rejected, even with their degrees. It's just the reality of the marketplace at the moment.

Some people seem to believe that a college degree will give you great job right away and that's not how it works. A college degree is a start point, you will still have to work your way up,
prove yourself and all that. But it's a pretty good start point.

You are just unlucky you are joining the workforce in the {censored}tiest possible time, but your education will pay off in the long run. Let's talk about this again in 10 years :)

• Members

Do both...keep the job and call off from time to time as you've said. {censored}ing up with your job and being fired after a few more months is better than quitting outright and losing money. Just stick with it and do what you need to in order to get through school at your job's cost...worry about it when they actually pull you in and say something to you to actually force a decision.

As for the whole college thing....education is such a {censored}ing scam. Seriously, a piece of paper does NOT guarentee a job and is only good for allowing you the excuse to apply for positions. So many people go into life thinking that a degree is a must...bull{censored}. Just saying, but somebody who takes out $100k in loan debt for a degree at a private school that doesn't even find a job for some 3-5 years after graduation is obviously not better off than somebody who lucked out and started working with a decent salary at at a young age and saving.

There's so many variables to consider when it comes to the whole "what is the right thing to do with your life" argument...just saying, but many people get suckered into college and debt just because they think it's the right thing to do when it's clearly not at all. Universities are nothing more than businesses and have the #1 priority of making money...people tend to forget that. I mean yeah, getting a degree and finding a job easily makes everything worth it..but that's not the case usually. If anything, you're looking at getting a degree by taking on debt in hopes of getting a "better paying" job that will help you pay off your debt and hopefully one day put you in a position to earn a lot of money. Just saying....but 4 years of $40k a year or whatever the rate you're making while saving $5k of that each year amounts to $20k sitting in the bank vs the $20-100k worth of debt that the average student will have after getting their degree. It's all very, very, very subjective and depends on the individual and their given situation...but a degree does not guarentee a happy life and a wonderful career.

Since you're already so deep, you need to finish though. Just run with both until you are actually forced to drop the job and then worry about it.

• Members
Do both...keep the job and call off from time to time as you've said. {censored}ing up with your job and being fired after a few more months is better than quitting outright and losing money. Just stick with it and do what you need to in order to get through school at your job's cost...worry about it when they actually pull you in and say something to you to actually force a decision.

As for the whole college thing....education is such a {censored}ing scam. Seriously, a piece of paper does NOT guarentee a job and is only good for allowing you the excuse to apply for positions. So many people go into life thinking that a degree is a must...bull{censored}. Just saying, but somebody who takes out $100k in loan debt for a degree at a private school that doesn't even find a job for some 3-5 years after graduation is obviously not better off than somebody who lucked out and started working with a decent salary at at a young age and saving.

There's so many variables to consider when it comes to the whole "what is the right thing to do with your life" argument...just saying, but many people get suckered into college and debt just because they think it's the right thing to do when it's clearly not at all. Universities are nothing more than businesses and have the #1 priority of making money...people tend to forget that. I mean yeah, getting a degree and finding a job easily makes everything worth it..but that's not the case usually. If anything, you're looking at getting a degree by taking on debt in hopes of getting a "better paying" job that will help you pay off your debt and hopefully one day put you in a position to earn a lot of money. Just saying....but 4 years of $40k a year or whatever the rate you're making while saving $5k of that each year amounts to $20k sitting in the bank vs the $20-100k worth of debt that the average student will have after getting their degree. It's all very, very, very subjective and depends on the individual and their given situation...but a degree does not guarentee a happy life and a wonderful career.

Since you're already so deep, you need to finish though. Just run with both until you are actually forced to drop the job and then worry about it.

Good advice.

OP, I hope you discussed this with your family and not just HCAF.

:cop:

• Members

Calling college a "scam" is ignorant at best. Pyramid schemes are a scam, education isn't. Yes I have student loans, and yes I don't make a whole lot at my job right now, but both of my post college jobs so far have had a requirement of having a degree. It's investing in the future.

I understand people who work a trade, like my brother, and don't go to college. But like was stated earlier...why would you want to be a doorman the rest of your life?

Also, if you're at 90 credits right now you are an idiot if you only take 12. You can finish this in 2 semesters at 15 each. Why waste the extra semester of time?

• Members

College isn't a scam (unless it's one of those unaccredited ones). I've had people tell me that I was making a terrible mistake being a business major. They said they were business majors and ended up working at a grocery store after graduation and for years since. Well, that certainly wasn't what happened with me.

I still don't think college is the obvious answer for what someone should do after high school. There are tons of people who aren't ambitious, focused or mature enough to take advantage of it by the time they graduate high school. Hell, if I wasn't ambitious and focused in high school (read: hypercompetitive nerd) I probably wouldn't have gotten the scholarships I did and would likely have been tens of thousands more in debt if and when I graduated from college (I feel like I got away relatively unscathed with $33k in debt relative to the extra $150k I received in financial aid).

The OP doesn't have that much left to go before graduating. Sure, the OP could never get a job that pays better than $20/hr (inflation adjusted) after graduating with the bio degree but I am certain he will never be making $150k+/year (and potentially greater with employee stock options) as some people in the life sciences and healthcare space can earn. Essentially, I see more upside than downside for the OP with finishing college.

• Members

When I say "college is a scam", I'm talking about the overall outlook and concept of "college". Just saying, but 9/10 people just assume that college is what "smart people do" and that they'll be lesser of a person if they don't do it too. You go to college to take a shot at being able to do something that you love for the rest of your life and that's about it. The entire perception that going to college will equal financial wealth and happiness is just stupid, it's something of a crutch and a pillow for people to lay their hopes on for a few years while they postpone their first steps into the real world. There's much, much,much more to it than that..."the real world" isn't a pretty place and way too many folks out there tend to think that a temporary vacation to college and a pretty piece of paper will save them from any and all hardships.

Just saying...I graduated a couple years back with a BA in education and luckily stumbled into one job, which turned out to be a good one, after applying to some 225 districts scattered throughout SWPA/WV/OH/TX/NC. That process was backbreaking and I never want to even think about having to do that again. I've met many people who are completely miserable and disgruntled with where they stand because they can't land a position in a crowded field, my field, and in some ways I guess that you could say that the harshness of reality has more or less broken them as human beings.

There's so much to consider beyond "oh I'll go to school and get my degree"...it's not that simple at all and never will be. That's where schools fail to educate their students...or clients as they should be really called. Just saying, is it really worth it for somebody who's not willing to leave their home town of about 10,000 people to persue a degree in archaeology to the tune of $30k in debt with 0 job prospects? God...going into technology, math, health, or sciences is fine and a logical path to finding SOMETHING worthwhile, but some majors are just mistakes waiting to happen. I just don't think that anybody is truly prepaired or knows what they are doing at the age of 18 when they sign up for college, and more often than not the truth is very ugly and they end up being thrown to the wolves when they graduate and have to make sense of it all.

Just as an example, I busted my ass to save during school and help pay for costs, had a few grants and schollarships to help, and gratefully had some help from my parents and grandparents too. I went to a small, cheap, state school and got out with a small debt. I lucked out with my job, took care of the debt as soon as possible, and I'm happy with where I am. I have my family, myself , and my education to thank for that....then there's my cousin who pissed away 8 years at an out of state private school that had a higher cost per semester than an entire year at the school that I went to and then some. He jacked around and got a worthless BA, didn't want to leave so he literally signed up to take a completely unrelated and pointless MA, and now that he's finally out of school..he's still sitting around at home with his parents without even really making an effort to look for a job of ANY kind because he knows that he has somewhere north of $100k in debt to deal with and none of the makings for job prospects to even so much as make a dent in that...probably ever. If he wanted to party and sit on his ass at home, he could have still did that without tossing college and money into the equation. You don't have to be in college to go out and party in a college town, he {censored}ed up. He's no better off now than where he was before he got himself into this mess. Was school worth it for him? Not really...

Just saying, the thought that "everybody who goes to college will be successful" is a crock and it takes a hell of a lot of hard work and ambition on top of common sense, good planning, and very good self management to use that piece of paper to actually get yourself into a good position in life. To the OP...whatever the hell you do, I think you'll be perfectly fine in the future as you've clearly got a good head on your shoulders and are trying to think things through from all angles. That's an attribute that very, very few people tend to have. But get the degree, especially if that's what you want to do with your life...you probably do have what it takes in terms of work ethic and brain power to make that degree work for you and it's not like you've chosen a worthless field of study or anything like that at all.

Archived