Santana Fail

nvranka

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Santana's act has worn thin, already

The guy's a consummate player, but, damn it Carlos, write your own {censored} for once, will ya? It's the same bs for years now: find obscure songwriter, load up song with obligatory sig solos, do nothing else, take credit for whole song (or album). You'd think after being a pro player for 1,000 years he wouldn't have to be such a {censored}ing parasite.

• Members

Lots of famous (and gifted) singers have come along over the years who've never written their own material. Why the double-standard when it's a guitar player (essentially "singing" through his instrument)?
:idk:

You've got a point, alot of singers do the same thing, but they don't sing all their songs exactly the same, either. Santana's been milking the same tone and style, essentially the same solos, for decades now. When somebody sings, they can interpret a song in a variety of ways; Carlos Santana just plays the same stuff, over and over, and shoehorns it in.

• Members

This forum's hatred of rap is amusing. And the original of this song is basically a rap song, anyway, which makes the hate even funnier to me in this case.
:idk:

Anyways, this track is fine, Nas ain't the best mc but he ain't bad, and Carlos' solo gave enough nods to Angus whilst still being distinctly his own. All around, a good cover. What's the point of a cover that doesn't re-imagine the original, anyway?

There are much more deserving candidates for hate out there in both the rap and rock worlds...
:cop:

how the hell is the original basically a rap song?

• Members

how the hell is the original basically a rap song?

Just listen to the way the lyrics are delivered. They aren't sung; they're essentially "rapped" ~ it's much more about the rhythm and impact of the syllables than pitch or notes.

Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" was the same kind o' thing, which is I'm sure why RunDMC chose to cover the tune, gnome sane?

• Members

You've got a point, alot of singers do the same thing, but they don't sing all their songs exactly the same, either. Santana's been milking the same tone and style, essentially the same solos, for decades now. When somebody sings, they can interpret a song in a variety of ways; Carlos Santana just plays the same stuff, over and over, and shoehorns it in.

I can see where you're coming from. I'm not sure I agree with you completely, but I can definitely see what you're saying.

• Members

Just listen to the way the lyrics are delivered. They aren't sung; they're essentially "rapped" ~ it's much more about the rhythm and impact of the syllables than pitch or notes.

Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" was the same kind o' thing, which is I'm sure why RunDMC chose to cover the tune, gnome sane?

Yes, but the big difference is AC DC and Aerosmith were musicians. :cop:

• Members

Santana > HCAF.

you're retarded man.

I do like Santana, but there is no way you can possibly claim this cover is good. It sounds like complete {censored}, and while the solo isn't "bad" it surely doesn't make up for the horrendous {censored}-up that is the rest of the song.

I don't see how any of you can even fathom standing up for this garbage. None of us are saying anything bad about santana as a musician...as I do like a lot of the stuff he has done over the years...but the majority of this cover album is complete and utter trash.

Also, I have nothing against rap/hip-hop and listen to it relatively frequently.

• Members

Santana was one of the best bands out there in the 70s, and he was one of the best guitar players. I used to have tremendous respect for him, but sadly, he just sounds like a wanter to me. Still, his version is better than this one.

[YOUTUBE]kqa-HYihaZo[/YOUTUBE]

Archived