James LaBrie solo album

BerkleeBill

• Members
Sounds better than anything DT has done since Awake, pretty much.

I actually don't like Awake at all. In fact I think all the albums before Metropolis Pt2. sucked. I love every album including and after Metropolis though. I seem to be in the minority in that regard though. I just don't like early DT at all :freak:

• Members
thank you.. Granted, the guy isn't wearing two tone haircolor, long hair, earings, no spandex, no cool "Heavy metal faces"... I can get past all that....... but to me, it sounded like a guy playing through a $50 zoom pedal with effects out the ass...
:confused:

Beastly player though.... really smooth playing.

Mullmuzzler also had a meh guitar sound, but in the end, it`s the songs that make or break an album for me :)

• Members
I think he's got a great voice. He's no Geoff Tate or Warrel Dane but the dude is on pitch and has a good sense of melody.

Well as has been said, DT doesn't really give any indication of his sense of melody, due to it being dictated by the others. And pitch-wise... well, sometimes he's ok, sometimes he really isn't. Listen to Hollow Years on FII. I'm not sure he actually hits a single note that entire song. And that's in the studio. :freak:

• Members

Gave it a listen. I found it repetative after the first couple of songs and the guitar playing, while good, sounded very generic progressive metal to me. Also the guitar sounds like it's Line6 or something. Overly digital.

If I can get this tone out of a Line6 then I'm selling all of my amps.

[YOUTUBE]itJdhLZfolE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I am actually. Not cheap headphones (sound squared ear buds) but to be honest, any time that amount of gain is used from those high gain german amps or what have you, it loses a certain element of organicness but a lot of the times, it works out.

the sound sits well in the mix IMO and that's the most important thing to my ears.

Archived