Peavey amp guys lend me your knowledge...Classic Series

colejustesen

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm starting to get some C30 gas. C30 and a Tele.

I imagine that would be pretty righteous! When I was messing around with the C30 the other day, I was using a Michael Kelly Patriot loaded with the Rockfield Fat Ass pickups...wow, it sure responded well to those pickups! I didn't try any single coil stuff, as I mostly play humbucker guitars, but damn it did sound pretty good! I need to go try out the C50 and see if that is what I want or if I should just stick with the C30.

Cole

• Members
From a player's perspective, the C50 will work as a 2-channel, tube amp. So that's what it is.

it all comes down to this.
Sure, you can get all technical about it, but you have a selectable clean/dirt.
Much like my triumph. It has clean, crunch, and ultra "channels".
Even though the only difference between crunch and ultra is a single resistor, IIRC. It's selectable via footswitch and they even have their own gain knobs, so for all intents and purposes, it's a 3 channel amp, regardless of the mechanics of it :thu:

• Members

So what does make a multi channel amp? Technically? I mean since classic 50 and mark III are not.

I don't think there's a universally accepted version.

I've designed and built a few amps now, studied most texts from RCA manuals to the Kevin O'Connor series and have an electronic engineering degree, so I'm at least semi-qualitifed to comment.

I Haven't found a proper definition yet for the term "channel" as it applies to guitar amps.

Seems like amp makers started by stating things like "dedicated tone stack per channel making this a true 2 channel amp" in their adds, implying that amps without a dedicated stack weren't. That seems to have led to these kind of pointless arguments.

If you wanted to be a pedantic {censored}er, and many people seem to want to, I'd say each channel should have it's own dedicated valve stages, interstage attenuation/frequency shaping as well as tone stack. I'm not aware of any current production amp that has this. Once a manufacturer does this then all the current 2/3/4 channel amps will be "not true multi-channel" amps.

Original the use of the word channel for an amp was used to denote an input with a distinct tonal character, like on the old 4 holer Marshalls (two channels with a hi and lo input per channel) and I presume the bassman before it. They were really meant for multiple instruments back in the days when entire bands would share one amp.

From there each channel has become more functional and flexible. Foot-switching between channels, seperate gain controls, individual tone stacks per channel, dedicated gain stagings and so on developed as time went on.

It great to see people taking an interest in the technical side, but the danger is always someone who reads one article by one author that "blows their mind" and then goes mis-quoting/mis-representing/mis-understanding bits of the article and stating them as fact, and then arguing with anyone who'll listen.

• Members

If you had a seperate eq for both channels would that qualify?

Really, you can qualify anything you want.

It's only when you start getting overly-technical (like groovetube was trying to pull off, with little success) that you start getting ridiculous.

Most people would agree that any amp that has separate gain and volume controls qualifies as "2-channel." Some people will claim that you need separate EQs to be a "true" 2-channel amp. Some people will tell you that you need 2 completely separate preamp sections to be a "true" 2-channel amp, which is fine...aside from the fact that no such amp exists.

Every channel-switching amp out there shares at least one gain stage between all channels, so by saying that one amp isn't 2 channels because it shares gain stages, you're effectively saying that every modern guitar amp ever made is a single channel amp. The Diezel VH4 even claims to have "4 completely independent preamps", which simply isn't true. To test this theory, fine a single preamp tube that you can remove from the amp without killing the output. You can't, because every single channel shares most of the same signal path.

Archived