Cost to Ship a Guitar from the US to Australia?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Do any of you guys know roughly how much it costs to ship a guitar from the US to Australia? Somebody there is looking to buy a guitar from me, and I'm hesitant to go through with it... but they are offering me a good amount of money for the guitar, so I'm thinking about it...

I'm thinking it's going to be around $150-$300. Is that about right?

• Members

I thought that USPS won't let you ship a guitar internationally due to the dimensions being too big?

I shipped a bass + case to Australia via USPS.

The trick is, putting the max specs on the website. If you take it in to a USPS store/location, they measure it, then if it's too big won't send it. So what you do is "measure" it at home, put in their max dimms, actual weight, buy the postage online and either drop it off or have them pick it up. They don't measure it at pickup. I was cautious of this as well, but I tried it and it went perfect.

I think my shipment was either $130 or $185. Can't remember exactly.

• Members

The usps store i take it to doesnt give a {censored} about anything. it is out in the country, and I honestly don't think the guy can count to 40, so he didn't say anything about dimensions.

Yup it really depends. I once shipped a bass in a flight case (which are not small), DOUBLE boxed with cardboard, via the actual USPS location.

I tried to send an actual guitar (which obv is a lot smaller) at a different location a while after that and they wouldn't take it. The online bit is the safest way.

• Members

It costs US$100 to ship an electric guitar in a hardcase from Kansas to Singapore using UPS Worldwide Expedited so shipping to Australia wouldn't cost that much more. Certainly not more than US$180.

Ya looking back through my records now I think my cost was like $138 or something from TX to Australia.

• Members

So, basically I should do whatever I can to ship this with USPS and if I can't I'm {censored}ed and will have to pay $300-$350? nice. haha. The bad part about USPS though is no tracking :[

Yes there is. Is it up to the second like w/ Fedex/UPS, no but yes there's tracking on USPS packages enough to keep tabs on it.

• Members

Guys, just FYI, if you look up the shipping company details, there are certain exact dimensions that they ship for cheaper rates. Otherwise your hard cases are getting flagged for being odd shaped. Think about it, they want to ship stuff that fits into their pallets. Anyways, if you look up those dimensions and you pay for a hard case with foam work that fits to your guitar, you'll save tons in shipping.

Read this on the south-pak blog.

Archived