Fat, Dark sounding speakers

theAntihero

• Members

Man, you guys need to be specific. There are like 5 different types of Legends.

This, seriously. Legends are also what Emi calls any speaker they make for amp companies, there are literally thousands of legends out there.

they're not. they're pretty much a flattish speaker with an enormous low end like an EVM, but without the incredibly annoying top end. they're like an EVM in that they have a lot of power handling, and a lot of girth.. but no nasties up top.

Hmm, i like EVM12ls clean, but the high end sucks for high gain, it makes most amp sizzle, Delta's sound like a win.

Warehouse ET-65's are fairly dark without being too stiff like many high-wattage speakers can be

On the list, thanks.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Rev speakers, which are what I have, are very dark...I've never heard anyone call any type of Legends bright, most complain of their darkness if anything. My 6505+ is pretty bright, and using speakers that have a lot of upper mids or highs sounds like {censored}, the Legends in the krank cabs take care of that problem. Dark and creamy, but plenty of clarity.

• Members

They use V12's too.

DSC00176.jpg

Ok, thank you guys for clarifying. Ya, the V12's have always interested me, they sound like badass speakers from what people say.

Trust me though, you want no part of the 1258s I had in my basson cab. They sucked dick with a passion.

I've always wanted to try some Small block or Big block emis to go with my Splawn. All my cabs have Celestions and none of them really seem to jive right with the voiceing of that amp.

• Members

antihero, how many things have you killed with redbear FZ-2 combo?

My drummers mind recently. I hooked it up with my ported 4x12 and new 4x12 loaded with green berets and let it loose at full volume, i dont think he will ever be the same.

Actually im building 2 cabs for the Sunn, and the other is gonna be loaded with the Lady Luck's i got from you.

• Members

So with my vote im going Celestion GK-100s. They are stiff because they are 100w, but they really tame the fizz out of fizzy amps very well. They make my 350w Mode 4 into heavey metal beast.

Or for lower wattage amps, G12H30. They get really smooth and fat when you push them hard.

Talk about fail. The K100s were the most bright, high end having, fizz'd up speakers I've heard in a while. Tried them in my Vader alongside the Legends and they were horrible..the K100s are the EXACT opposite of what he's after..which brings to point, try the Vader Emi-Legends.

I find that the Hellatone 60Ls in my Marshall cab are pretty dark, although maybe it's just the cab construction.

• Members

Bull{censored}. Again. Brightest Speaker Celestion makes. Most Sizzly Speaker Celestion makes. WTF.

LMAO WTF are you talking about? 75's are some of the darker Celestions. The brightest, most sizzly speaker they make are v30's (at least from what I've heard, I haven't heard every Celestion).

• Members

LMAO WTF are you talking about? 75's are some of the darker Celestions. The brightest, most sizzly speaker they make are v30's (at least from what I've heard, I haven't heard every Celestion).

Not really true. The 75's are distant sounding because of the midrange dip but they also have a very crispy top end which is why they were mated with JCM800s with their forward midrange. V30's are DEFINITELY DEFINITELY in no way shape or form the brightest speaker they make. Not even close, V30's have a forward high midrange and a rounded off treble. They can be grating and harsh with the wrong amp, but that is because of the midrange character and our ears sensitivity to it, not the treble.

As far as fatness is concerned, I have yet to run into a speaker that does this better than the G12-65's and the like (Warehouse ET65's, Scumback 65's). They are just thick and pleasant sounding all around.

• Members

I will counter your "LMAO" with a LMFAO. :lol:

V30's = Lots of midrange and that's about it.

T75's = Big bottom end, dipped/almost scooped midrange and sharp top end.

This is common knowledge,.....BTW.

• Members

Talk about fail. The K100s were the most bright, high end having, fizz'd up speakers I've heard in a while. Tried them in my Vader alongside the Legends and they were horrible..the K100s are the EXACT opposite of what he's after..which brings to point, try the Vader Emi-Legends.

I find that the Hellatone 60Ls in my Marshall cab are pretty dark, although maybe it's just the cab construction.

Wat, are you trying to confuse me so you can buttsex with me?

I agree on the Hellatone 60Ls, I have those in my Marshall 1960av, they are very smooth and dark on top but I wasn't even going to go thier because of peoples misconceptions on V30s.

Dude, you would {censored} bricks though if you heard my MF400 cab. Those speakers tame the {censored} out of high end fizz. It's unreal. You must have just played a really crispy fresh pair or a bad cab or something, or they are Celestion GT-100s not GK-100s. I've seen assholes locally try to sell off cabs having GT-100 sas GK-100s, when they are not.

• Members

Check my sig, I've got 4 cabs loaded with celestions currently, and the GT-75s are by far the brightest and fizziest.

• Members

Wat, are you trying to confuse me so you can buttsex with me?

Dude, you would shit bricks though if you heard my MF400 cab. Those speakers tame the shit out of high end fizz. It's unreal. You must have just played a really crispy fresh pair or a bad cab or something, or they are Celestion GT-100s not GK-100s. I've seen assholes locally try to sell off cabs having GT-100 sas GK-100s, when they are not.

I like men...what the fuck would I want with you:confused::confused:

Anyways, I'm sure in the Marshall it may be a different story. Marshall cabs seem to darken things up, especially the MF cabs and the way they designed them. I'd be interested in trying an MF400 to hear what it's like, however even from clips and other things I never got the impression that the K100s were dark. They always seemed bright.

Archived