OT: Everyday words that you can't stand to hear

LoopQuantum

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Another that bugs me, and our esteemed President Obama uses frequently is starting a sentence with "Look,....". I always thought it slightly demeaning and condescending.

Starting a statement with "look" is taught as a device to people in education and public speaking because we're accustomed to giving someone our attention when they say the word. It may seem condescending because you're so used to people saying it to children, but it is actually a VERY effective means of keeping people's attention.

• Members

Another that bugs me, and our esteemed President Obama uses frequently is starting a sentence with "Look,....". I always thought it slightly demeaning and condescending.

Starting a sentence with "look" means "I know I have no argument for what I'm saying, but I'm still going to argue it. Trust me. I'm always right about things like this."

• Members

Doesn't bother me. At least, not nearly as much as his predecessor's CONSTANT use of "nukyoolar" ... :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Members
Starting a sentence with "look" means "I know I have no argument for what I'm saying, but I'm still going to argue it. Trust me. I'm always right about things like this."

Starting a sentence with "look" frequently results from having to explain a very simple concept, for the eleventy-first time, to folks who A) shouldn't have to have it explained to them at all, and B) who *still* aren't getting it. Prolly why it sounds condescending... :idea:

:poke:

:o

:p

:cool:

:lol:

• Members

Starting a sentence with "look" frequently results from having to explain a very simple concept, for the eleventy-first time, to folks who A) shouldn't have to have it explained to them
at all
, and B) who *still* aren't getting it. Prolly why it sounds condescending...
:idea:

:poke:

:o

:p

:cool:

:lol:

Prolly.

:mad:

• Members

my daughter probably gets tired of me using the word Pimpin so much... So.. how ya doing ..? Pimpin.. So.. hows school..pimpin .. ITS even funnier when we are at the grocery store and I use that word loudly.. "Daddy.. You going to hurry up" or "No more snacks" Or "she is to young" or.. "She a hoe".. Yep... you guessed it.. I say.. Real pimpin going on child" usually she just rolls eyes and hopes there is no one she knows there

Last GF used to comment about the word.. "Your a broke down pimp, with no hoes." So politely looked at her and smiled.. LMAO

• Members

Doesn't bother me. At least, not nearly as much as his predecessor's CONSTANT use of "nukyoolar" ...

Thinly veiled political position rant here...well done...

Speaking of...I hate anyone who talks politics...I use to, but I steer clear anymore...{censored} is just ridiculous...pointless bickering :thu:

• Members
Thinly veiled political position rant here...well done...

Speaking of...I hate anyone who talks politics...I use to, but I steer clear anymore...{censored} is just ridiculous...pointless bickering
:thu:

Actually, at the end of the day, not veiled literally at all, technically. :cop::lol:

But I'll admit that my position is heavily influenced by my estimation of which linguistic error represents a graver danger to the American people... :poke:

/open ranting

Archived