OT: Everyday words that you can't stand to hear

LoopQuantum

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anybody else have these? Some words just make my skin crawl. I think that most of the ones that bother me are the ones people use to sound "in the know".

"Society" drives me nuts, for example.

Anyone else?

"Chillax" dude!

gnome sane?

• Members
The one that gets me is a two-word phrase: "very unique."

:mad:

Look, "unique" means "one of a kind" (check the Latin root!). You're either "one of a kind," OR YOU'RE NOT!

There are NOT degrees of "uniqueness," any more than you can be "a little bit pregnant," or
"mostly dead."
:freak:

/rant

I just got a medical opinion that says you can be only mostly dead.
10885064_gal.jpg

• Members

That weren't me.

That weren't mine.

I weren't doin it.

etc.

Wow ~ that would drive me nuts, too. In my business, I run across a lot of misused English. Like, a LOT. But I haven't run into that. Yet, lol.

Most often, I see the opposite: "I wish I was" instead of the correct "I wish I were," etc.

• Members
This one pisses my lady off like you wouldn't believe. She gets red in the face.
:lol:

Dude, seriously...Me too. I work with a guy who does it ALL. THE. TIME. It seems like it shows up at least once a day, and each time I just want to go postal and correct him, but I don't because that's who I am :lol:

It really does drive me up the wall though.

• Members

irrevelant (makes me....so mad. You dumb {censored}s, how do you SPEAK dyslexia?)

irregardless (has been used incorrectly for so long that it's technically a word now. It's meaning is "regardless". That's right. People have been adding a {censored}ing extra "ir" for no god damned reason long enough that Funk and Wagnel (and mr. Webster) decided it should have its own entry in the I section. Someone kill me. I don't know if I can live in a world where that level of ignorance is not only accepted but rewarded).

literally (because it's never actually a literal interpretation of events. It's hyperbole. IF YOU LITERALLY HAD TO WALK LIKE 1,200 MILES THROUGH THE PARKING LOT, YOU WOULD HAVE LITERALLY DIED FROM DEHYDRATION AND EXPOSURE YOU STUPID {censored}).

Archived