Which is a Better EL84 Amp? Peavey Classic 30 ; 50 or Crate V30; V33?

goldenhose

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tomorow, Im gonna look at a Peavey Classic 50 2x12 and a Crate Vintage Club 50 3x10. The Peavey is $325 and Crate is $350. One of the speakers in the Peavey was switched to a Celestion. The nice thing is I will be able to try them back to back for a good comparison.

• Members

Tomorow, Im gonna look at a Peavey Classic 50 2x12 and a Crate Vintage Club 50 3x10. The Peavey is $325 and Crate is $350. One of the speakers in the Peavey was switched to a Celestion. The nice thing is I will be able to try them back to back for a good comparison.

That sounds like a fun day! Make sure to let us know what you thought of each. I got my Classic 50 2x12 for $400 (granted I slipped the guy a $20 for selling it on behalf of the owner who was on tour with Joe Satriani), so $325 is a great price (especially if it has a Celestion in it - as long as it isn't a 70/80 or something like that).

Cole

• Members

How much money in parts would the mods require? I saw something about Soldano SLO mods?

IIRC under $50.

And there is a set of mods to turn it into an SLO-type gain monster.

Funny thing about the V33 is they sold new for $180 [head] and now go for $299 used at Guitar Center. Go figure...

• Members

Which channel did you use? Clean or dirty?

One amp was clean the other was set dirty.Just used an ab switch. With the foot switches for both amps and the ab I had a lot of tones without having to use any od or distortion pedals.Used an eventide eclipse with a ground control for effects. Man I miss that rig.

• Members
Anything Peavey is better than anything Crate.

The C30 is a great combo, the C50, is good. Stay away from the Valve Kings.

For my money 6V6's are a better sounding tube than EL84's and 6L6's better than EL34's.

brilliant. Obeid Kahn design that whole USA series, as well as a lot of the Ampeg tube stuff. He now has his own boutique company, Reason Amplification. Top-notch killer amps. Only now he doesn't have to reach a target price area.

• Members

I didnt get a chance to look at the amps yet. Hopefully I will get to hear them today.

There is Peavey Classic 50 4x10 available for $300, but the thing looks pretty trashed. The tolex is ripped up and the on light doesnt work. Not that I really care if it sounds good, but it just makes you wonder if the rig an inch away from beaten to death.

• Members

I didnt get a chance to look at the amps yet. Hopefully I will get to hear them today.

There is Peavey Classic 50 4x10 available for $300, but the thing looks pretty trashed. The tolex is ripped up and the on light doesnt work. Not that I really care if it sounds good, but it just makes you wonder if the rig an inch away from beaten to death.

Or you can think of it as legitimately reliced...

A buddy has a VC50 3x10. Back-breaker to move around and I'm sure that 4x10 isn't going to be a feather-weight either.

One of the things I like about the V33 [or any head for that matter], is I can match it with a cabinet that makes sense for the gig/situation. If I need big-balls I use a G-Flex 212 that's designed so it's very easy to load-in by myself - light with well placed handles. Smaller gigs I have a 2x10 and even smaller I have a 1x10 that's feather-light. I like being able to mix and match as needs dictate.

• Members

I bought the Crate. I didnt care for the Peavey's lead channel. Surprisingly, the crate is lighter than the Peavey, even with the additional speaker.

I really like it and was suprised by the balanced tone. Expected a bright tone with 10" speakers and skinny tubes.

• Members

The price is not right, but you do get what you pay for. Mesa Express 5:25 1x12 w/V30. Five 12AX7 and 2 EL-84. Class A 5 watt. Class AB 25 watt. Two Channels with 2 modes each, tank reverb and effects loop.

These are versatile, and loud as {censored}. Use mine with a one by 12 extension cab. For small clubs/halls I never mic it, and never move the volume past 12 o'clock. I have seen them used for $775.

Archived