Tell me about 6X12 cabs...

Dead Star

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They're really not that heavy.

I had an Emperor Bass 612 and it was only about 105lbs...? :idk: And that was w/ bass drivers.

It was cool but my band seriously were bleeding vag's about the color so I sold it (for a profit :cop:) and got a "regular" cab again. I'd like to get another one as it sounded {censored}ing boss w/ my Mesa 400+, but get like a 212 or something and NOT a Marlins Green finish. :lol:

• Members

If you want to get a 6x12 that's built to just about identical standards as everyone else's, you should look to Sonset Beach. They are obnoxiously over-Christian and their website looks like it was done by a 12 year old with Geocities, but the cab rules. I have mine wired as a 4x12 and 2x12 stacked on top of each other with 3 pairs of WGS speakers (to make it as close to an orange 2x12 and a bogner uberkab as those speakers will allow). It rules for a home setup because I can run my orange through the 4x12 and the epiphone through the 2x12 without having to mess with wires. And then if I need to move furniture I can plug the whole 6x12 in and turn the orange past 3.

http://sonsetbeach.com/SSB%20Custom%20Speaker%20Cabs.html

• Members

Con: everyone will instantly know about the small penis you're trying to compensate for

Seriously though, why would you ever need six 12" speakers? When you gig through a PA, they are only going to mic one speaker anyway. If you are gigging with out a PA, you won't be able to open it up enought to make the extra speakers worth it without drowning out the drums and having a {censored}ty balance coming off the stage. The tone of a 6x12 is so incredibly close to a 4x12 (similar models with same speakers), that with a full band playing no one will ever be able to tell the difference, and I just don't see a situation where you'll be able to really utilize the extra volume.

On the other hand, if you have the cash, and it will make you happy, do it. Just be sure you also buy a hand truck and a back brace.

• Members

one word: stairs.

every venue has them and some have a lot. pretty much exactly what padoobies was saying is true; its not really going to sound much different in most instances so mostly its just for looks and lugging that sob around would not be worth it imo. if you need your gear to make your statements i think you should practice playing guitar more.

but hey its your $$$ and back (and a bandmates back) do what makes you happy.

• Members

I think you can use 2 speakers @ 16 ohm each for an 8 ohm load, and 4 speakers @ 8 ohms for an 8 ohm load and then run all of them from your amp at 4 ohms.

I think...

You can also run four 16 ohm speakers at 16 ohms (series/parallel) and then two 8 ohm speakers at a 16 ohm load, then run all of them at 8 ohms from your head (I think)

• Members

Cons: They're heavy.

Pros: They're heavy.

{censored} yeah.

I have one. I LOVE mine. And I don't care what all the cork-sniffer {censored}-head nay-sayers on HCAF say about them. I don't take it to every gig, but I do take it to some. It's really not hard to move at all if you have a second person. It looks really cool on stage, too.

HOWEVER - from my breif experience with them - the Electric cabs can get overly woofy and sound thin. The one I've played had eminence speakers, and got that way.

My 6x12 I love to death. I built it myself, and in doing so I actually put a center baffle all the way down, essentially turning it into two 3x12's. I also made it air tight by using silicone around every single joint of the cab. Some say that doesn't help, I sure think it did with that cab. My 2x12's, nah it didn't but that cab it sure did. Also, I run v30's on one side and g12h30's on the other. An amazing combo.

• Members

I dunno man. Everytime I've seen 6x12 rigs, I've been like
:love:

of course they're "cool", I agree. but as a soundguy I gaurantee you will piss off any soundman that sees that thing. a 4x12 you will get away with but it's complete overkill and obnoxious. once again I'm cool with that but I know people that would make fun of the guy for the whole set. it's like the guy who owns a F-350 with an 8 inch lift, 33" mudders, and won't take it off the road because it'll get dirty, all for show.

Archived