Receivers for under $500

JBecker

• Members

Seems to me like these days receivers under $500 still kick a whole lot of ass.

I've been using a stereo from 70s that pumps out pretty damn good sound but as I'm starting to use my setup more for television and less for music, I think it's time to upgrade to all digital.

In the past, all I really cared about was that I'd get HDMI switching, but it seems like this is a trivial feature now, and killer sound quality.

So what should I be looking at for best-in-class stuff?

Some background on uses:

I have 2 Paradigm Monitor 7s right now. I'd like to add a receiver and sub in the next month or so to have 2.1 sound, then add center and rear speakers within the next 6 months.

Currently have a 32" LCD that supports 720p. I will be upgrading in the next 6months to 1 year to a 50 or greater with 1080p.

I will be connecting at least 3 HDMI sources.

Receiver will likely sit in a closet unseen. I have not thought about the remote implications of having everything out of sight. I am moving to a new place that's prewired and has the IR thing hanging out the closet that I assume I'll have to setup. Ultimately, a good remote that can take care of all or many of my sources would definitely be appreciated, but more important is any features that make controlling when there is no line of sight is sweet.

Spending less is always better, but sound quality is my number one concern. Note, this does not equal volume or bass. I'm talking the whole picture of sound quality.

• Members

I have been eying the Pioneer VSX-1120-K....these can be had for under $500 new on ebay (from authorized dealers)....I also have been looking at the new Aventage line from Yamaha. The Yamaha RX-A700 can be bought for under $500 as well. These are the two that I am interested in.

Cole

• Members

I went with an Onkyo TX-SR606 a couple years back when I upgraded, and I love it. Make sure whatever you get can handle the HD audio streams from Blu-Ray discs/players (Dolby TrueHD, DTSHD Master Audio). The picture on blu-rays is of course amazing but the lossless audio is really where it's at, so make sure your receiver knows what to do with them.

• Members
I went with an Onkyo TX-SR606 a couple years back when I upgraded, and I love it. Make sure whatever you get can handle the HD audio streams from Blu-Ray discs/players (Dolby TrueHD, DTSHD Master Audio). The picture on blu-rays is of course amazing but the lossless audio is really where it's at, so make sure your receiver knows what to do with them.

Hell yes. I bought this year's model (TX-SR608) and i see and by-god-do-i-ever hear a marked difference from my old-ass 70s receiver. I got it at ABC Warehouse for just around $350 after some price-matching / haggling. VERY satisfied! :thu:

• Members

Speaking of receivers, years ago I bought a Denon that sounded great but just didn't have enough power. So I upgraded to a more powerful Denon, keeping everything else exactly the same but the surround imaging isn't nearly as good. With the first receiver everything blended nicely creating a perfect image but with the second one it's like the sound is just coming out of each speaker, not blending. First thought was that something's out of phase but I've checked the speaker hookups and settings several times so I don't think I did anything wrong.

Anyone ever notice different receivers producing better or worse imaging? Seems like it would be pretty straight forward but I dunno :idk:

• Members

I have definitely noticed that some setups are far better at painting the sound stage. A lot of speakers and receivers create a nasty "splashing" that fills up space in a weird way and destroys clarity. This is one of my major complaints when I hear setups that other people think are impressive. It's part of my fear of expanding beyond my two floor standing speakers.

• Members

So I'm hearing Onkyo, Pioneer, and Yamaha.

Anything else I should be looking to ensure support? I want to use this thing for many, many years. Any info on having the receiver tucked away?

What you're looking for is an infra red remote repeater, the in-room sensor goes down a wire to the receiver face where the IR detector is. Pretty simple tech. The Yamahas do HD Master and all the other codecs, but won't do MA with DSP on top (generated by the receiver). For that you'll need a Bluray player to do the decoding for you, like a PS3 (the most amazing value in home entertainment, IMHO). If your TV has multiple HDMI inputs, you could use those, just run an optical cable from the TV to the receiver. For some obscure reason a 2.0 TV won't pass through 5.1 info via HDMI.

• Members

I really miss my beautiful imaging and want to replace the receiver again but really gun shy now, don't want to spend more money on something that doesn't sound any better and it's getting more difficult to try out stuff these days with everything moving to the internet :facepalm: I'll be watching this thread...

BTW, I have a Logitech Harmony programmable remote that does a great job of handling all my devices. They have the most complete database I've ever seen making it easy to setup (you have to program it with your computer while you're online though) and it's also customizable. Downside is the ergonomics suck and the buttons are starting to flake out on me :mad: Newer ones might be better though, this one is kinda old.

• Members

Seems to me like these days receivers under $500 still kick a whole lot of ass.

I've been using a stereo from 70s that pumps out pretty damn good sound but as I'm starting to use my setup more for television and less for music, I think it's time to upgrade to all digital.

In the past, all I really cared about was that I'd get HDMI switching, but it seems like this is a trivial feature now, and killer sound quality.

So what should I be looking at for best-in-class stuff?

Some background on uses:

I have 2 Paradigm Monitor 7s right now. I'd like to add a receiver and sub in the next month or so to have 2.1 sound, then add center and rear speakers within the next 6 months.

Currently have a 32" LCD that supports 720p. I will be upgrading in the next 6months to 1 year to a 50 or greater with 1080p.

I will be connecting at least 3 HDMI sources.

Receiver will likely sit in a closet unseen. I have not thought about the remote implications of having everything out of sight. I am moving to a new place that's prewired and has the IR thing hanging out the closet that I assume I'll have to setup. Ultimately, a good remote that can take care of all or many of my sources would definitely be appreciated, but more important is any features that make controlling when there is no line of sight is sweet.

Spending less is always better, but sound quality is my number one concern. Note, this does not equal volume or bass. I'm talking the whole picture of sound quality.

I have the paradigm monitors myself with a 12" Bowers & Wilkins subwoofer. I actually have the lowest range onkyo that would afford HDMI switching and auto correction. I think it was ~$400. My father has a high end onlyo with Bowers & Wilkins speakers all around. I think the attitude of the onlyo's are middle of the road, everything "how it should be;" nothing shiny or extra but does what it does well.

I have a friend who's went through a few different receivers with his system, so I've been able to observe differences. He has had mid-range onkyos, denon's and yamahas. Overall, to be honest, I liked the soundstage depth of the denon the best. The yamaha and onkyo were pretty similar. The onkyo might have been a little brighter and had a medium depth soundstage, but not in a claustraphobic manner at all. The Yamaha was nice as well, if not maybe a bit generic. Of course, ymmv and this is all subjective and listen to as much as you can.

• Members

What you're looking for is an infra red remote repeater, the in-room sensor goes down a wire to the receiver face where the IR detector is. Pretty simple tech. The Yamahas do HD Master and all the other codecs, but won't do MA with DSP on top (generated by the receiver). For that you'll need a Bluray player to do the decoding for you, like a PS3 (the most amazing value in home entertainment, IMHO). If your TV has multiple HDMI inputs, you could use those, just run an optical cable from the TV to the receiver. For some obscure reason a 2.0 TV won't pass through 5.1 info via HDMI.

Thanks. Super useful. I'm pretty sure the infra red remote repeater is exactly what I have that's coming with the place. Since I will have a closet with racks setup already to hold equipment, everything is going to be much closer to the receiver than the TV so I will likely pass nothing through the TV and just have one HDMI cable out from the receiver to the TV passing video from all my sources.

• Members

Thread/^^^^^^

• Members

I need to upgrage my reciever, it's an older 6.1, no hdmi at all. I'm thinking of just picking up something 5.1 since I'm not as anal about home theater anymore. 7.1 and running extra speakers just doesn't seem worth the hassle for a family room...

I have no interest in 7.1 but these days that's pretty standard even on the cheaper stuff. You're probably not going to save any money trying to find one without that feature.

• Members

lordy becker-

a) FIRST off.. welcome back, stranger. long time.

b) sigh. do you need stereo or 5.1? or even MORE silly ass speakers?

'cause really... stereo is alright by me. i don't really see anything wrong with 2 channel for TV, and there's a whole WORLD of great 70's and 80's solid state for pert near nuttin', and amp tech nowadays is all about MORE for CHEAPER.. not so with stereo back then. i say, buy used, and {censored} the new stuff which is likely junk anyhow. find a luxman or a marantz or something on craigs list and let 'er rip.

• Members

lordy becker-

'cause really... stereo is alright by me. i don't really see anything wrong with 2 channel for TV, and there's a whole WORLD of great 70's and 80's solid state for pert near nuttin', and amp tech nowadays is all about MORE for CHEAPER.. not so with stereo back then. i say, buy used, and {censored} the new stuff which is likely junk anyhow. find a luxman or a marantz or something on craigs list and let 'er rip.

Of course, this is about as subjective as it gets, but coming from a vintage Mcintosh/Klipsch/JBL background, I think the new speakers sound way more true and and less harsh than the older stuff. The older stuff does sound cool in it's own right, but it is so mid-focused and ear-fatiguing compared to a lot of the newer mid to high-end equipment it's not funny.

• Members

lordy becker-

Yeah, now that I have entered the working world and play only my acoustic because I have little time or space for anything else I've been posting a lot less frequently.

Well, the truth is in terms of sound quality I am perfectly happy with my Paradigm Monitor 7s + old Sansui receiver/amp that's probably underpowered for those speakers. The sound quality is real solid from just about anything I toss at it. The problem is I only get 2 analog audio inputs and no remote. This works fine now that I don't have a blu-ray player and I'm sitting about 6feet from the TV in a tiny living room.

But now that I'm looking to move and the new place is much bigger, already wired for surround, and has a closet specifically setup as an AV closet I'm finding it pretty hard to not upgrade. The convenience of hiding all of my equipment in one place and sending just one wire to my TV is too enticing. The fact that 98% of the time I'm coming from a digital source makes having HDMI switching a huge convenience. I also would think that the D/A converters in the receiver are probably better quality than I'm getting from a cable box or my TV.

As for going with more speakers-- not really a necessity and is probably going to happen much slower. The receiver is a reality I've come to meet based on the convenience and my source material. The speakers-- well I rarely miss the rears for most of what I watch, but I'm looking to cut down visits to the movie theater and emulate that experience at home. So I may as well go for broke. The truth is once the wiring is all done (and it was done for me) and the TV is killer (already done) and you're using the receiver for switching purposes... it just seems like resistance is futile.

I should also note that the bedroom is already wired up as a second zone, stereo only, analog sources only. So I'll still have my space to rock out the old way.

Don't worry my friend-- it's not like I'm buying an Axe-FX.

• Members

So now I'm thinking I'm basically between the Onkyo 608, Pioneer 1020, and Yamaha 667. Not sure the Yamaha is worth the extra money, but the reviews of the 1020 and 608 all seem to hold more caveat and little nuisances and compromises than the 667.

Archived