Randall rt503??

theAntihero

• Members

Let me put it this way. Misha Mansoor and some other metal artist tried out 13 hi-gain amps, some nice sounding and others not so nice. The recording wasn't that great, but you could tell by their faces which ones sucked and which ones were good. The RT100 (which I am guessing is part of the same rt line as the 503) was tested. Needless to say, laughing while playing an amp isn't a good sign....

The article http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2010/Dec/The_Monsters_of_High_Gain.aspx

The vid-

[video=youtube;4sVZ1adVLWM]

(Misha laughes at 3:53...and pretty much the whole time afterwards (at least on the inside))

• Members

Yeah i saw that, but i wasnt terribly impressed with how any of those sounded.

And I agree, as I stated in my post they weren't that well recorded. However that one stood out as sounding exceptionally bad to my ears. That and the facial expressions from the people playing it gives me the assumption that it blows, but I guess you never REALLY know until you try one.

• Members

I thought that all the amps on the high gain vids sounded alike, even through my studio monitors that even God wouldn't be allowed to touch unless that ingrate gave me eternal life and dominion over 40% of the Universe.

If there is anything that can be said about Randall amps, they all give similar tones.

For the price of the Randall with them coming down to like $600 @ AMS, I think you could do much worse for a backup amp for more $.

Derek

• Members

yeah, i've had a good play on the 503 and its pretty good. 3 really different sounding channels, pretty standard cleans, nice crunch and a smart lead channel. It wont be to everyones tastes for certain, but its pretty good all round, decently built and for the money theres few amps to rival it. I much prefered it to the blackstar ht100.

• Members

Honestly, if I wasn't completely jonesing for the V3M from Carvin or the Trirec from Bugera (but I'm not buying any Gen 1 from Bugera) I would get either the RT503H or the RT100. From what I've seen/heard, nothing there that I couldn't work with to make quality tones from the Randalls.

Now that V3M, that thing has me SMITTEN!

Derek

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Members

I'm bringing this one back from the dead.

I got a chance to play one of these tonight through my Red Bear 4x12. Thought the amp sounded really damn good. Had a few nice tones dialed in on channel 2...more mids and the gain at 4ish was a real nice Dirty Deeds tone. Bring them down a bit, and the gain up to 6-7 I had a really nice Maiden (with a lil more gain) thing going on. Channel 3 I dialed in a nice thick drop d sound, jamming on Book Of Thel by Bruce Dickinson. Didn't play with this one as much. The cleans were pretty nice for a high gainer, and the reverb was ok.

I have no idea what these things cost, but I thought it was sweet. I can't wait to bring my Mesa cab over to try it with.

• Members

I remember a guy here buying one of them, having problems, got two replacements that didn't sound near as good until the last one (not sure what he did there!) and having problems cutting through. Oh and they are made in china. Not to runt on them but just to know what you are paying for and how much should it cost!

• Members

^ I think that was Doomsdaymachine who had the problems. I've heard the 503s all had an odd problem like his though??

Why mess around, get a Bugera!
:thu:

Derek

Yes, I had problems with 2, that I received new. But, the third shipped directly from Randall, and I actually really dug that amp. It just needs a good preamp tube assortment, and a good cab, & boost. That amp's OD2 was BRUTAL to say the least. Aggressive, HUGE bottom end, and thick. It CLOSELY reminded me of the JSX, (another amp that I've owned twice, and loved).

The RT had some bugs, but I believe the 3rd amp I got was the newest generation, and it was flawless, in every way. Cleans were sweet, OD1 very crunchy, (with PLENTY of gain for 80's thrash), and OD2 was typical Randall, punishing, modern lead tone. Gain was comparable to a 5150. The bottom end was UNREAL. VERY underrated amp - if you find one cheap, play it - you just might shit yourself how good they really sound. An underappreciated, under-the-radar sleeper of an amp. I HIGHLY recommend it. I sold it to another member here, and last we spoke, he was LOVING it.

PS - Those videos are FAR from what they sound like. FAR from it. They blow those tones away in person.

• Members

Yes, I had problems with 2, that I received new. But, the third shipped directly from Randall, and I actually really dug that amp. It just needs a good preamp tube assortment, and a good cab, & boost. That amp's OD2 was BRUTAL to say the least. Aggressive, HUGE bottom end, and thick. It CLOSELY reminded me of the JSX, (another amp that I've owned twice, and loved).

The RT had some bugs, but I believe the 3rd amp I got was the newest generation, and it was flawless, in every way. Cleans were sweet, OD1 very crunchy, (with PLENTY of gain for 80's thrash), and OD2 was typical Randall, punishing, modern lead tone. Gain was comparable to a 5150. The bottom end was UNREAL. VERY underrated amp - if you find one cheap, play it - you just might shit yourself how good they really sound. An underappreciated, under-the-radar sleeper of an amp. I HIGHLY recommend it. I sold it to another member here, and last we spoke, he was LOVING it.

PS - Those videos are FAR from what they sound like. FAR from it. They blow those tones away in person.

Nice! I was hoping this. Never seen one in stores though :(

• Members

Nice! I was hoping this. Never seen one in stores though
:(

Again, tonally, it reminded me of the JSX. But, better cleans. OD1 has a "vintage" vibe, but with plenty of gain on tap, and OD2 was just insane. The bottom end it pushes really pounds you in the chest. It's very "Boogie" like - modern, yet punshing. Again, all problems aside with the first 2 I got, the 3rd just kicked total ass. However, I just wanted a Marshall, so that's what I got, with the JVM. I got a 5150 after the RT503H, and liked the Randall more. It had more thump, and is EXCELLENT at low volumes.

If I fell into a cheap price on a used one, I wouldn't hesitate picking it up for a back-up.

Archived