My fiddy no worky! :CRY: 5153 no output- please help.

zeusecho

• Members

Sounds like you're not getting heater current or B+.

I'd say it's most likely that you lost a fuse somewhere.

If you did, replace the fuse and your tubes.

Your amp also may have gotten hit with a power surge, but there isn't really a good way of knowing that it's that vs. tubes, and a power surge could easily damage your tubes as well.

• Members

I wouldn't worry yet, sounds like a tube problem. Stick in some new tubes. If not, may be a solder point or something.

Good excuse to try a set of winged Cs I guess. :thu:

Edit- oh {censored} I knew the =C= went up but I didn't realize how much. Maybe I'll try a set of Rubys.

• Members

This happened to me last year, two times to date. For me it was a little 1 amp fuse inside, i don`t remember wich number on the board but it`s real easy to find. Open it up and look at every fuse and you`ll find it.

Chris

Thanks dude. I tested all the fuses I can see, like five of them and all good.

• Members

Good excuse to try a set of winged Cs I guess.
:thu:

Edit- oh {censored} I knew the =C= went up but I didn't realize how much. Maybe I'll try a set of Rubys.

Nothing wrong with Ruby's. If you are on a budget the Sovtek WXT+ is pretty nice too. There was a thread on Rig-Talk discussing power tube options with the 5153. Some of those guys did not like SED's in their 5153 amps.

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=85936&hilit=5153

I have not tried all JJ 6L6's in mine but in general, I don't love those tubes. They sound bland to my ears. I do like many of their other offerings though.

• Members

Nothing wrong with Ruby's. If you are on a budget the Sovtek WXT+ is pretty nice too. There was a thread on Rig-Talk discussing power tube options with the 5153. Some of those guys did not like SED's in their 5153 amps.

I have not tried all JJ 6L6's in mine but in general, I don't love those tubes. They sound bland to my ears. I do like many of their other offerings though.

Hey Laura thanks for chiming in here. I'll definitly hit you up when I'm ready for tubes. I just want to make sure it's not the OT before I buy new tubes and I can't get a schematic until "normal business hours" which is the only time Fender support is available. But hey I'd rather deal with that than some overseas tech support that doesn't even know what an amp is. LOL

If anyone here knows the test points for the OT voltages or has a schematic it would be big help.

Also one detail I didn't mention is the pres light up but the power tubes don't.

• Members

Hey Laura thanks for chiming in here. I'll definitly hit you up when I'm ready for tubes. I just want to make sure it's not the OT before I buy new tubes and I can't get a schematic until "normal business hours" which is the only time Fender support is available. But hey I'd rather deal with that than some overseas tech support that doesn't even know what an amp is. LOL

If anyone here knows the test points for the OT voltages or has a schematic it would be big help.

Also one detail I didn't mention is the pres light up but the power tubes don't.

FWIW, based upon what you are describing, I agree that it does not sound like a tube related issue.

• Members

you said all tubes are not getting warm so don't waste funds on tubes. if the heaters are not glowing, then at a minimum you've lost heater voltage.

pull the chassis and if no internal fuse and you've checked all other fuses then there's nothing left for you to do other than take it to a tech.

try this...

pull all tubes

put in one 12ax7 and check for heater glow. if no then try one more 12ax7 in another socket. if no heater glow, then tech time.

• Members

you said all tubes are not getting warm so don't waste funds on tubes. if the heaters are not glowing, then at a minimum you've lost heater voltage.

pull the chassis and if no internal fuse and you've checked all other fuses then there's nothing left for you to do other than take it to a tech.

try this...

pull all tubes

put in one 12ax7 and check for heater glow. if no then try one more 12ax7 in another socket. if no heater glow, then tech time.

Thanks for the advise man.

Sorry for the confusion...first I said none of the tubes glow but I was talking power tubes because the pres have covers and I didn't pull them off.

After removing the amp from the chassis I checked all fuses and they are good, and all preamp tubes glow.

I don't see any fried components.

I'd really like to check the OT voltages before taking it to tech. I have a reasonable electronics background.

• Members

I had a similar problem with my 4th world country manufactured 5150 clone. It's a Bugera, so I assumed what any reasonable person would assume; the Bugera had finally failed me. I checked tubes, fuses, etc when in the end it was the jackplate on my Marshall 4x12 cab. The mono/stereo switch had gone out.

Archived