JCM900 SL-X vs JCM800

ej

• Members

I've seen a couple go for around $600 recently and I think that is a great value. I'd rather have an SLX than a DSL. I'm not sure what the differences are between 800's and an SLX but I think that they both sound great. I think that 900's get kind of a bum rap though too. I always loved Lars Frederiksen's guitar tone and that is a 900, and I like Dave Navarro's tone as well and I'm pretty sure that is mostly 900. I think Fast Red Ponycar used to have some great clips on youtube of his SLX.

• Members

I have both at the house right now. the SL-X is a whole different beast than the standard 900 series. It has more gain on tap than an 800 and is very very aggressive. you have multiple gain structures as opposed to the simple presence, tmb, gain, volume that an 800 has. I prefer my 800 just because it sounds much more organic (if that makes sense) than the SL-X.

Anything bad you've heard about the JCM900 line, don't think any of it really caries over to the SL-X.

• Members

SL-X are cool. Very gainy and fizzy.But you would probally be better off with a DSL. The one time I played a SL-X it reminded me alot of the Lead channel of my TSL but worse.

If by gainy and fizzy you mean meaty and brutal I agree.

The SLX would bludgeon the TSL to death with it's penis. Yeah the SLX has a huge penis...and I'm pretty sure it's always hard. Maybe the amp was beat up or dialed in {censored}ed up.

• Members

i have the mkIII similar design stock they are great i would take the 900 over the dsl anyday but if you need brutal gain go for the dsl. the 900's are very easy to mod i really wanna find a cheap slx so i can mod the {censored} out of it

• Members

I don't know what your budget for an amp is but my old Fargen Olde 800 is for sale on the gear page for $800 shipped. Killer 2204 (with extra gain and a sweet MV) tones and the dude that is selling it is way cool. Just throwing that out there. I wish I had the money right now.

• Members

I don't know what your budget for an amp is but my old Fargen Olde 800 is for sale on the gear page for $800 shipped. Killer 2204 (with extra gain and a sweet MV) tones and the dude that is selling it is way cool. Just throwing that out there. I wish I had the money right now.

Those are pretty cool little amps. I would hit at that price if I wasn't a poor college student

• Members

Those are pretty cool little amps. I would hit at that price if I wasn't a poor college student

Yeah for sure, for whatever reason he is having a hard time selling. He thinks it sounds too much like his Storm. It's a smoking deal. I paid way more with my trade when I got the amp originally. I feel bad that he is having a hard time moving it. I just saw his ad on there, I didn't realize he had dropped the price so low. The amp is super clean too, he just put in some fresh power tubes.

• Members

I prefer the 4100DR actually over the SL-X. The SL-X has more gain on tap immediately, but the DR with the right dirtbox sounds excellent!

One of the best amps I heard in a long time was the JCM800 Kerry King reissue. Wish I snapped one up when I had the chance.

Archived