OD/Boost pedals...some questions!

Ovid9

• Members

So been looking at picking up an OD or boost pedal of some sort to fiddle around with.

Now, I'm a poor bastard (well, actually some of my fun money is now being siphoned off to some cycling gear I need) so I was looking at some less expensive options.

The GFS Greenie or the GFS Twin-OD. Are these a decent inexpensive representation of the TS808/TS9?

What about some of the other TS#s, I see floating about for less? Obviously they're less desireable, but I seem to see TS7's floating around for cheap on the used market.

Also, what about some of Visual Sounds Garagetone series? The Garagetone Distortion clips on their website were pretty decent sounding to my noob ears.

Finally, the DS1. Cheap, everybody has one.... (boring.... :lol: )

Open to other suggestions too, but most of the ones I usually see suggested are more than I'd like spending right now.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just get a bad monkey if you dont wanna spend a lot. I honestly couldnt tell the difference between the bad monkey and the maxon od808. I had a hardwire OD pedal, and that thing was killer too....you can usually get those for about 50 bucks used. Bad monkeys you can find from like 20-30 bucks all day.

• Members
Just get a bad monkey if you dont wanna spend a lot. I honestly couldnt tell the difference between the bad monkey and the maxon od808. I had a hardwire OD pedal, and that thing was killer too....you can usually get those for about 50 bucks used. Bad monkeys you can find from like 20-30 bucks all day.

Winnarz.

If you're just starting to experiment with ods, definitely start with the Bad Monkey. It's a much, much better pedal than it should be for the scratch, and it'll give you a good idea of what you can do with a boost. :thu:

• Members

The BM is a nice sounding pedal but it sucks tone. I noticed it the second I plugged my in and I mean with the first note. It's too bad, nice sounding OD for the money. If you can live with the tone suckage, I would agree, good pedal for the money.

• Members

yup this. love that it has tone controls and you can easily mod it to remove the mid hump of a TS. great boost

• Members

This, Bad Monkey sounds just as good as my Keeley Modded TS-9.

• Members

The BM is a nice sounding pedal but it sucks tone. I noticed it the second I plugged my in and I mean with the first note. It's too bad, nice sounding OD for the money. If you can live with the tone suckage, I would agree, good pedal for the money.

Define tone sucking. That's pretty ambigous.

• Members

I have the BBE Green screamer and the MXR GT-OD and love them both. Im sending the creation audio labs mk 4.23 back today. I thought it would be awesome but it adds too much, if that makes sense. I like the small difference of OD pedals much better.

• Members

Bad Monkey is a classic and works very well. You also have some great controls with it.

The GFS is another good option, the overdrive is good if you want middy tubescreamer sounds. The clean drive though is good if you want fatter "clean" drive tones.

Good to know on that as well.

Thanks guys!

• Members

Idk mang not to sound like a dick but I'd save your money and get a new amp. I personally hate OD pedals.

That is an option, but there is a reason why so many people and artists use boost pedals. It may not work for you, but it sure as hell has worked for A LOT of people.

• Members
Idk mang not to sound like a dick but I'd save your money and get a new amp. I personally hate OD pedals.

I didn't see anything in the OP about his being dissatisfied or unhappy with his amp. Looked to me like he just wants to experiment with boosting. You don't need a new amp to experiment with boosting. :idk:

• Members

That is an option, but there is a reason why so many people and artists use boost pedals. It may not work for you, but it sure as hell has worked for A LOT of people.

They always sound cool if I'm playing on a {censored}ty rig but I just got to the point where I was like {censored} this Ill just get a rig that I don't need a pedal. I used to use an Ibanez tube screamer on my DSL. It wasn't bad. Got some nice lead tones with that.

• Members

Naw, you don't sound like a dick but a new amp isn't in the cards for now. Nor do I need a new amp. I just want to learn more about boosting and stuff.

I understand tastes vary and it seems people either like to boost or hate it. I'm gonna find out where I fall on that. :lol:

• Members

What's the difference and why's the MXR so much better in your opinion?

the difference, and why the MXR is better =

the MXR sounds like a chewy, juicy amp being played correctly. inspiring really. True Bypass (I'm not saying TB is better than Buffered, but in this case the BM buffer doesn't sound good) it stacks really well too. :thu:

the Bad monkey sounds like a distortion pedal with the gain way down, and an uncompressed clicky clean tone being blended with it. . buffered bypass (normally, I love buffers, however, this isn't a particularly good sounding buffer.) Like a bad tubescreamer clone, but good for $40. :(

Edit: FWIW, I OWN both of them. In fact, I own two MXR Classic OD's so I can A/B the internal switch on the fly. I had to do it for $29.95!! :thu:

• Members
They always sound cool if I'm playing on a {censored}ty rig but I just got to the point where I was like {censored} this Ill just get a rig that I don't need a pedal. I used to use an Ibanez tube screamer on my DSL. It wasn't bad. Got some nice lead tones with that.

Cool, HCAF has been graced with another guitar god! :thu:

• Members

Are you suggesting that the only people who use pedals use {censored}ty (I guess cheap) rigs? :lol:

Just look at some of the dudes rigs who use a Klon :o...

Again, some people don't like using pedals which is fine, but the people who do don't do it to "cover up" or "fix" their amps sound.

• Members
the difference, and why the MXR is better =

the MXR sounds like a chewy, juicy amp being played correctly. inspiring really. True Bypass (I'm not saying TB is better than Buffered, but in this case the BM buffer doesn't sound good) it stacks really well too.
:thu:

the Bad monkey sounds like a distortion pedal with the gain way down, and an uncompressed clicky clean tone being blended with it. . buffered bypass (normally, I love buffers, however, this isn't a particularly good sounding buffer.) Like a bad tubescreamer clone, but good for $40.
:(

Edit: FWIW, I OWN both of them. In fact, I own two MXR Classic OD's so I can A/B the internal switch on the fly. I had to do it for $29.95!!
:thu:

Well, just judging off ebay, the MXR is more sought after cause there's only 1 on it. :lol:

And apparently GC discontinued it.

Well, I got good suggestions either way here.

Archived