I'm not a fan of signature guitars...

guitarbilly74

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

O rly?

I've just always saw the guitars in the show being EMG guitars as well as the show being sponsored in part by EMG so I just assumed he was a fanboy.

Doesn't look like EMG sponsors it anymore. At least from the looks of season 3. Looks like Krank got dropped too and Marshall got picked up.

• Members

Nice looking guitar, but I am always worried about Gibson QC.

As far as signature guitars, I don't like them much either. Its not that I don't want to have an artist's name on it, just consider the JP-6. I love the guitar, but I would feel weird owning one simply because I cannot even come close to hacking my way through a Dream Theater song. I would always be worried about someone saying, "Hey, that's the Petrucci signature Musicman, right? Can you play Under a Glass Moon?" To which I respond, "No, but I can noodle a pentatonic scale for you," and then run off crying.

• Members

The Gus G. LTD in my sig is the first "sig" guitar I've ever purchased in my life. Three months in and I still can't put it down (plays like a dream). SD Blackouts FTW! Can't believe I used to be an EMG guy...

That's good to hear.

This was a 100% sarcastic-free post. Seriously.

• Members

As far as signature guitars, I don't like them much either. Its not that I don't want to have an artist's name on it, just consider the JP-6. I love the guitar, but I would feel weird owning one simply because I cannot even come close to hacking my way through a Dream Theater song. I would always be worried about someone saying, "Hey, that's the Petrucci signature Musicman, right? Can you play Under a Glass Moon?" To which I respond, "No, but I can noodle a pentatonic scale for you," and then run off crying.

LOL I hear ya. I was skeptical at first, until he played me back some of his D.T. cover stuff from over the years. Then I was like "O, ok then. You can haz." :o:D

Considering the bass I own/play and who's it used to be, I always have to have a lil Pantera or Down riff up my sleeve just cover said bases... ;) Me and my drummer like to jam "Slaughtered" for soundcheck. :thu:

• Members

At this point, I don't even consider the Les Paul a sig guitar. Seeing the time at which it was built, it was Gibson's first entry into the solidbody electric world that they wanted to associate with Les to sell. Same today, but a lot of signatures are built on platforms of pre-existing models, whether they be Dean, Fender or Gibson...etc. The ones that aren't are just carve ups with the same basic features you can get on standard models (or some specially wound pickup), and are hardly an innovation.

Even Gibson recognizes this...how do you explain the Slash signature Les Paul?

• Members

Pfft, I have a JP and I honestly couldn't name you a Petrucci song, just like the guitar.

• Members

At this point, I don't even consider the Les Paul a sig guitar. Seeing the time at which it was built, it was Gibson's first entry into the solidbody electric world that they wanted to associate with Les to sell. Same today, but a lot of signatures are built on platforms of pre-existing models, whether they be Dean, Fender or Gibson...etc. The ones that aren't are just carve ups with the same basic features you can get on standard models (or some specially wound pickup), and are hardly an innovation.

+1. another notable exception, Guild Brian May. Not my cup o tea, but unique.

Too many sig guitars are just fan pieces. I don't care how much I love a band, unless I'm in it, I don't want a sig anything. I just feel like why would I want to play your sig guitar? unless, I were in a tribute band or something...

• Members
Explorer looks ugly to me. Probably doesn't help that the burst is hardly a burst at all. More like some grey with a thick black line around it.
:idk:

This. ^

I do like the looks of the Jim Root. There's just something about necks with no fret markers that I love. Too bad for me it has EMGs.

When my sig model comes out it will definitely not have fret markers.:lol:

• Members

kind of a weird burst on that explorer. looks like a bound fretboard which is super sexy. explorers are sweet. not sure on the sig model though. there's only one real signature guitar in my mind, the Les Paul. and not the double signature {censored} like the Slash Les Paul or the Zakk Wylde Les Paul

• Members

I don't get blanket hate for sig guitars. Thats just as dumb as someone buying a guitar JUST because it is a signature. If a guitar is a good guitar, and has a cool look or features, who cares if its a sig or not?

I've always wondered that too. :idk:

I friggin love that Explorer :love:

• Members

I agree that the Gibson Les Paul became a much bigger deal than just a signature model, but the fact is it was a signature model. Gibson had an endorsement contract with Les Paul until 1962. Les Paul ended that contract and Gibson had to stop production until '68 when a new agreement was signed with Les Paul. Later, Gibson purchased the rights to use the name from Les Paul and turned the name into a trademark, which allowed them to issue new signature models for other artists under the now trademark name Les Paul. But that did not happen until the 90's.

It is just a case where the guitar became much bigger than the player, that's all.

Archived