Anyone ever been in a band with two guitars in different tunings?

Say Ocean

• Members

For some reason I thought this was going to be about two guitarists in a band using different tunings. I played B standard while the other guitarist did drop C in a metal band. I've never really deviated from standard tunings except DADGAD but that was only experimentation with a band and we never stuck with it.

• Members

There are a lot of bands that have different albums in different tunings. Children of Bodom, Decapitated, In Flames. Plenty out there.

I think you're missing the point. The OP is talking about two guitars playing simultaneously but in different tunings.

Jeff I like the idea. It has potential. The important thing to remember is using keys that play well off each other. You don't necessarily have to write both parts in the same key or mode even, as long they sound good together. Shouldn't be too hard.

• Members

I don't think about half the people in this thread quite understand what's being asked. :lol:

Done it a few times in my current band, nothing that ever stuck. We had one song where I was in DADGAD and the bassist and other guitarist were in standard and I played slide, that was pretty damn cool sounding but we could never make it work live.

This is the first idea I had when I saw the thread title...one guitarist doing slide. Seems like it would be pretty cool.

• Members

I don't think about half the people in this thread quite understand what's being asked.
:lol:

This is the first idea I had when I saw the thread title...one guitarist doing slide. Seems like it would be pretty cool.

It sounded awesome, but the song itself never worked well with our set so it wound up getting scrapped, which is a damn shame. I'm bringing it back next practice :D

• Members

Not really... closest would be when I played 7s and the other guy played 6s. Tuned the same, std E, just that I also had a low B.

Was annoying when I wrote something I wanted to play, but the part under it needed the 7th string. :o

Was also funny though when I'd write something I couldn't even play, and I could just go, "Nope, that's your part. The part under it needs the low B, so I guess I'll have to do that." :D

• Members

man, that must be absolutely horrible to drag one extra guitar up onstage.....

:lol:

I can see how {censored} that sounded. Circumstance though: we play 7-9 songs...30 minutes total. I have one cheaper guitar, my strat and LPC. It sucks to say, but smaller shows in Chicago is when {censored} gets stolen...and i definitely don't want to chance it with my LP.

So the reason it sucks is that I hate having to worry about nice gear. Its why im on a quest for another cheapish guitar.

• Members

Not quite the same thing but in an old band we played in drop-A for a while, with me on 7-string and the other guy on a 6-string tuned way down to drop-A. Needless to say, the tone of the 6 string tuned that low couldn't hold a candle to the way the 7-string sounded in that key. Eventually we just ended back at standard tuning and sometimes drop C#

Archived