Who makes a good laptop these days?

satannica

• Members

Not looking for a desktop replacement, just something that I can run Cubase/SD2 on, but mainly visual studio, web surfing etc.

Nice big screen, so 15-17"

Full size keyboard!

Ideally low heat

Would prefer an ATI or Nvidia graphics chip, but flexible.

Budget around the

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

lenvo is the most consistent when it comes to quality. Their machines are much better than the average consumer dells and HP's. the HP elitebooks are good though. If you wanna be a baller, the Dell M6500 is amazing. We've got a bunch at our office that we hand out to the VIP's. They're sick though. i7 cpu's, solid state harddrives... etc.

but yeah I'd say honestly just get a used macbook

• Members

ive seen a couple of toshibas last a good while. can't go wrong with them IMO. HP as well but to pricey a lot of times.

each company has there hits and misses depending on your experience. i personally wont get a dell :idk:

• Members

Gotta disagree about HP Elitebooks. Had a few at my previous workplace and IMO they were crap. The touchstrip volume control was terrible, the display quality wasn't anything to write home about and the trackpad was a bit rubbish.

Even though I'll sound like a fanboy, Apple is IMO currently the only laptop manufacturer that does it totally right. They have the best trackpad, a great keyboard, the laptops are not too thick or heavy, the displays are good (especially the high res 15" is great) and at least the one I've got has been extremely reliable and troublefree for the few years I've had it. You might be able to find some used ones in your price range - just make sure you don't get anything older than a mid-2009 model. Don't buy the 13" unibody Macbook (looks exactly like the current Pros but says just Macbook on it) because it had a terrible display.

• Members

Any love for the Samsung R780?

I'm using a Samsung R580 and I like it a lot. I'm guessing the R780 is the same thing just with and i7 instead of the i5 processor. I've had it for about 6 months now. Very quick and reliable.

Note: I wiped it with a clean OS install without even looking to see what bloatware was installed so I can't speak to it's performance out of the box.

The keyboard is fullsize, but the keys are the "chicklet" style which took a little getting used to.

It doesn't leave my house very often so I can't speak to how tough it is either (I'm guessing not very)

• Members

I've heard good stuff about Sager notebooks (Clevo), I may consider those once the Sandy Bridge models are available.

While I agree with many others that Macs are overpriced, I do dearly love their touchpads. All the pc notebooks I've tried (not that many to be fair) suck mightily in that dept.

• Members

I've heard good stuff about Sager notebooks (Clevo), I may consider those once the Sandy Bridge models are available.

While I agree with many others that Macs are overpriced, I do dearly love their touchpads. All the pc notebooks I've tried (not that many to be fair) suck mightily in that dept.

Sager is good.

• Members

I (thankfully) don't have to do laptop support at work, but our laptop guy says that Acer, Toshiba and HP are the worst . . . in basically that order. My wife bought an HP with an i3 CPU when they first came out, and I'm not amused at what it cost vs. how it performs. If I was buying for myself, I'd most likely go with an Asus or Lenovo.

• Members

I (thankfully) don't have to do laptop support at work, but our laptop guy says that Acer, Toshiba and HP are the worst . . . in basically that order. My wife bought an HP with an i3 CPU when they first came out, and I'm not amused at what it cost vs. how it performs. If I was buying for myself, I'd most likely go with an Asus or Lenovo.

There's nothing wrong with HP's performance. It's the reliability that is the problem. Your wife's computer probably just has tons of trialware on it. Format the computer and I'm sure it'll be plenty fast if it's i3 based.

• Members

Over the years i owned 6 laptops by hp, sony, dell and alienware and the only one that didnt give me any problems was the alienware, they are pricey and not for everybody but it hasnt had the issues the 2 sonys and 2 dells had, the hp i had just sucked and i hated that one the most. my alienware is 3 yrs old and we still have 2 dells in our home and one of them is falling apart and acting crazy and the other dell had to have the hard drive replaced the first month we had it but is working ok now, the sony my wife had broke down 2 or 3 times and the sony i used to own was ok for the first 18 months but after that was {censored}ty.

I also have a imac 27 inch that i use the most, i havent been using the alien very much lately but for the first 3 yrs i used it everyday.

• Members

Over the years i owned 6 laptops by hp, sony, dell and alienware and the only one that didnt give me any problems was the alienware, they are pricey and not for everybody but it hasnt had the issues the 2 sonys and 2 dells had, the hp i had just sucked and i hated that one the most. my alienware is 3 yrs old and we still have 2 dells in our home and one of them is falling apart and acting crazy and the other dell had to have the hard drive replaced the first month we had it but is working ok now, the sony my wife had broke down 2 or 3 times and the sony i used to own was ok for the first 18 months but after that was {censored}ty.

I also have a imac 27 inch that i use the most, i havent been using the alien very much lately but for the first 3 yrs i used it everyday.

I believe Alienware traded hands though, and is now owned by Dell. They may or may not have the same standards as they did when you bought yours.

• Members

I recently worked on an alienware laptop. It had the same hardware as the dell M6500 except for a faster GPU. Same motherboard and other hardware.

Both Dell and HP (not sure of gateway) have two different classes of products and there is a huge difference in performance and quality when you go from one to the other.

I'm using an HP 8510p which is one of their business class notebooks that seems built much better than the "consumer" class DV9000 I used to have that my wife is using.

Sad fact is, most laptops in the affordable price range are meant to be used for 1 or 2 years then dumped for a new one. Most companies are just building them to last through their warranty and then move onto the next machine.

This is where I believe Mac's truly are worth their price tag. There are still TONS of people using old 5+ year old macs with no issues and not any slower due to bloating OS's and poorly optimized software.

• Members

I recently worked on an alienware laptop. It had the same hardware as the dell M6500 except for a faster GPU. Same motherboard and other hardware.

Both Dell and HP (not sure of gateway) have two different classes of products and there is a huge difference in performance and quality when you go from one to the other.

I'm using an HP 8510p which is one of their business class notebooks that seems built much better than the "consumer" class DV9000 I used to have that my wife is using.

Sad fact is, most laptops in the affordable price range are meant to be used for 1 or 2 years then dumped for a new one. Most companies are just building them to last through their warranty and then move onto the next machine.

This is where I believe Mac's truly are worth their price tag. There are still TONS of people using old 5+ year old macs with no issues and not any slower due to bloating OS's and poorly optimized software.

Glad to hear this as a Mac owner, but do you happen to know how long their stuff has been MIC. I'm not sure if the newer macs = older macs in terms of lifespan.

• Members

I have a cheaper HP for more than two years now. I wanted good spec so I decided to go with the Compaq line or whatever it's called. Gets you MUCH better cpec for the money.

No problems yet, have to knock on wood...

But I'm generally gentle with it although I do take it around with me now and then. I do have a good backpack for it though. That's really important if you plan on lugging it around IMO.

• Members

So there's a lot of Asus love.

Keep the responses coming guys - I neeed reliability for sure. Keyboard is the main deal for me though.

BTW, no interest at all in Macs though - my main music rig is PC, as are my programming environments, so not willing to entertain it.

Archived