Want to apartment-ify my modded Superlead

bullhead

• Members

here's the deal.

have a Jose-modded 1959X which i don't really want to part with. problem is I barely get to play it.

i've been toying with the idea of getting a Palmer to run into my soundcard or monitor with my headphones, but they're not exactly easy to come by. I've also been thinking of buying a load box and one of the many amp-oriented DI boxes that are out there (i know Radial makes both). I would love to be able to trade the SLP for an Axe-FX, as it would fulfill all my needs (and just seems like fun), but I already have a bunch of pedals and such that I don't really want to part with.

I'm sure someone's been in a similar situation. Any ideas?

• Members

1) amp already has a PPMV, which works fine, but half of the problem is putting my 2x12 somewhere. even then, setting up mics and stands in the middle of my bedroom is not exactly something i wanna do here.

2) having a 5 watter seems to make it impossible to do anything but play in my house, and that's not what i want.

• Members

This thread title made me
:facepalm:

helpful.

essentially, i'm not looking for a way to reduce the volume, as that's just asinine. i'm looking or other ways to be able to run the thing more open than the way i have been.

• Members

1) amp already has a PPMV, which works fine, but half of the problem is putting my 2x12 somewhere. even then, setting up mics and stands in the middle of my bedroom is not exactly something i wanna do here.

2) having a 5 watter seems to make it impossible to do anything but play in my house, and that's not what i want.

is all you want out of a 100 watt amp to be a practice amp to run pedals?

just get a 25 watt solid stater for low volume use, and use your marshall when you play out. i think every guitarist i've ever known used two amps unless they were full stop destitute... one for practice, one (or more..) for shows.

am i being obtuse, or isn't that the question?

• Members

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I was basing my suggestion on the idea that you would sell the super lead, since you mentioned trading it for an Axe-FX. Finding someone to trade with may be difficult, but I would think you could fund an Axe-FX by selling your current amp. I don't see the point of having an awesome amp if it never gets used.

Other than that, would it be out of the question to grab an older POD, like 2.0 and some headphones and call that good for playing/recording by yourself in your apartment. It has worked well for me. It not a Marshall, but it gets me close enough for the fact that I just play by myself right now.

• Members

1) get a hot plate and deal with it (from a guy with a small room and 2 2x12 that arent stacked on top of each other)

2) you can record with it.or mic it up.

• Members

are you trollin :freak:

• Members

are you trollin
:freak:

i kinda wish i was.

i was hoping someone would have an idea i hadn't thought of... but it seems like everyone is having more fun {censored}ting on me. i realize it is almost a stereotypical noob question, but it's not like i have six posts or something.

• Members

Other than that, would it be out of the question to grab an older POD, like 2.0 and some headphones and call that good for playing/recording by yourself in your apartment. It has worked well for me. It not a Marshall, but it gets me close enough for the fact that I just play by myself right now.

i was thinking about that. even a pod 2.0 still is $200 (for whatever reason) and the pod HDs start at $300. would be my third L6 product and I always end up getting rid of them.

• Members

helpful.

essentially, i'm not looking for a way to reduce the volume, as that's just asinine. i'm looking or other ways to be able to run the thing more open than the way i have been.

Look, you're going to have to explain a bit more what you actually want, because "more open" means "less volume".

Less efficient speakers?

Iso box?

• Members

Power scaling (VVR) is an option too although really its not an amp you can blast at home.

Unfortunately you can't through a VVR in something that high watts. He could use an attenuator like a THD Hot Plate. I would be more inclined to get something like a Vox AC4 or a Marshall Class 5?

[video=youtube;fzZpPc92GKk]

• Members

If you just want to make it less loud then VVR is a pretty good way forward as the power tubes still behave in a similar fashion. Of course the fletcher munsen curve is your enemy as volume changes your perception of certain frequencies quite heavily.

Search for VVR and amp and you'll find plenty on it.

Archived