OT: Marshall Guy thinking about getting a Boogie.

NixerX

• Members

Im thinking about picking up a boogie. A Mark III or IV combo depending on the deals that crop up.

Being a "Marshall" guy what should I look for? Can the III / IV bring the brootz more than my Quickrod? Pointers? tips? items for sale?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

why come?

only reason i ask is, i went the other way because the singy mooshy lost out over the tactile responsive. mesas eventually made me too mad dealing with their sorta spongay... if you're looking for leady gooey-- you're headed the right direction..

• Members

First thing I woul NOT do is listen to people who bash mesa on here or other forums.

If you are getting a mark, you are getting a tight amp, with a very fluid lead drive. It is a smooth tone compared to a 5150 or a marshall, but is plenty aggressive. It will have a lot of available gain and compression, with the mark iii being a bit more open sounding. If you get a iii make a thread and ill post a bunch of cool settings and anomalies I have found.

• Members

Being a "Marshall" guy what should I look for? Can the III / IV bring the brootz more than my Quickrod? Pointers? tips? items for sale?

I know the Mark III and Mark IV very well. I've never owned a QR, but from the clips I've heard, it's more of a br00tz amp than the Marks. The Marks can do it (check out exafro's clips), but you have to coax it a bit more.

What a Mark III or IV will give you is a lead tone unlike what you're used to, and incredibly fun to use. The Marks also take a clean boost in front amazingly well for a high-gain amp.

Also, like Holy-diver said, if you get one, there's no shortage of people here who will share settings and tips if you join the club. :thu:

• Members

First thing I woul NOT do is listen to people who bash mesa on here or other forums.

If you are getting a mark, you are getting a tight amp, with a very fluid lead drive. It is a smooth tone compared to a 5150 or a marshall, but is plenty aggressive. It will have a lot of available gain and compression, with the mark iii being a bit more open sounding. If you get a iii make a thread and ill post a bunch of cool settings and anomalies I have found.

nice. I like the 5150 series but I dont LOVE it. If the boogie is smoother than that lead wise then thats a plus. How is the cleans on the III?

• Members

The clleans can be very good if that's what you set it for but im assuming you want the lead channel to sound good. In that case the cleans will be kinda plinky and stiff, it works better with passives, you might have to work your volume knob a bit. If you are recording cleans with it, you can easily just change the settings and get a good clean.

• Members

I know you asked him, not me, but they're gorgeous. You can get crisp and sparkly, you can get funky, you can get fat and honking, and the built-in spring reverb is fantastic as well.

This is true, but it is worthy of note the shared eq kinda {censored}s you for great lead tone and great cleans.

• Members

The cleans can be very good if that's what you set it for but im assuming you want the lead channel to sound good. In that case the cleans will be kinda plinky and stiff, it works better with passives, you might have to work your volume knob a bit. If you are recording cleans with it, you can easily just change the settings and get a good clean.

See this "could" be a problem as I have actives. Its not that I use cleans all the time is just that this is my "last" big amp purchase for a while and I want it to address some of the provblems im having with the QR and the 112 combo. Which aren't many! basically Cleans and portability. I'm thinking Boogie because all the amps would REALLY compliment each other in a studio too.

• Members

Well a short head is amazingly portable. And the cleans aren't bad at all with the lead set up, they just can be a lot better. It will be kind of plinky and gainy if you set the lead like I do. This is with the iii, I have only noodled the ivs lead channel for a little while so I can't comment.

comparing the lead channels, the iv was more compressed. The lead sound is similar, with the iii being able to attain a good amount more low end. The controls are touchier on the iii, and the reverb is very quiet when the volume is down, even on 10. When its turned up though you can hear it very well. The red stripe is my favorite, out of the iiis I have owned (black, red, blue) I have never played a purple.

• Members

Well a short head is amazingly portable. And the cleans aren't bad at all with the lead set up, they just can be a lot better. It will be kind of plinky and gainy if you set the lead like I do. This is with the iii, I have only noodled the ivs lead channel for a little while so I can't comment.

comparing the lead channels, the iv was more compressed. The lead sound is similar, with the iii being able to attain a good amount more low end. The controls are touchier on the iii, and the reverb is very quiet when the volume is down, even on 10. When its turned up though you can hear it very well. The red stripe is my favorite, out of the iiis I have owned (black, red, blue) I have never played a purple.

Open sounding....its that to say I can use my Gmajor's compressor to get in to MarkIV territory if I wanted?

As for portability, I can buy a combo and get a rack kit right? That would be SEEEEXXXXXYYY!!

Thats another thing... should I care about the stripes being a newb?

• Members

I don't know, I am not very experienced with compressors or the mark iv.

you can buy a combo and rack the amp on all mark iii combos, but I think they have a wide mark iv combo that might not work.

the striped I imagine you want are red blue or green. I personally like the blue the least of those three after owning it for a bit, the presence is too strong and it can get ice picky.

• Members

Mark III sounds better than IV in every single way possible, but it is a one channel amp with 3 different modes. when you dial in one mode, the other two sound like {censored}. but, it will outperform just about any other amp on the market as far as getting a golden tone that makes you smile.

• Members

Yep, my first Mark III was a short head that I stuck into a Mesa rackmount kit. It sat in a 6-space SKB with nothing but a power strip and a Korg tuner, and it was the {censored}.

The differences between stripes are pretty subtle. I've owned two different ones and have played all except for the black dot. IMO they're all great amps.

I noticed drastic differences in stripes. Black/purple sounded the best. the later ones just sound boxy and compressed just like a mark IV. Couldve been tubes, but I highly doubt it.

• Members

I found the opposite to be true. The black I owned had less gain and sounded dry and boxy compared to the ultimate stripe, the red stripe. The blue has a useless presence knob and the highs can get really wild. The green is the only one that really started to sound just like the mark iv

Archived