Kendrick Amps?

Timmott

• Members

Whats the general consesus on them? There's a good condition Black Gold Studio 15 at GC for $750 used that I might go check out and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them. Might also go check out the Bogner Alchemist and some blackstars while I'm there because I need a new amp.

• Members

The Black Gold series was a simplifier, stream-lined series Gerald Weber introduced after having to take some time off fro amp production due to illness.

The reputation of the Black Gold series isn't super. Tone-wise they are ok, but not brilliant (Fender-esque); and the build quality is rushed and sloppy.

Kendricks reputation was built on his earlier amps and , actually, probably more on him being early to the market with commercially available boutique amps and early to the market with his less-than-accurate books on tube amp repair and history. At one time, the boutique amp market (excluding people like Dumble), was pretty much Kenrick, Victoria, Matchless, and Bedrock. IMHO, even Kendricks early amps weren't anything great, they were hot-rodded tweed circuits that weren't as sweet as the original circuit.

• Members

Kendricks reputation was built on his earlier amps and , actually, probably more on him being early to the market with commercially available boutique amps and early to the market with his less-than-accurate books on tube amp repair and history. At one time, the boutique amp market (excluding people like Dumble), was pretty much Kenrick, Victoria, Matchless, and Bedrock. IMHO, even Kendricks early amps weren't anything great, they were hot-rodded tweed circuits that weren't as sweet as the original circuit.

This. The other two 'production level boutique' guys I'd mention around at that time are Dr. Z and THD.

Archived