What's the word on the new RG Premiums?

the_gunslinger

• Members

Cross forum poast:

I may possibly be getting a new guitar in the middle of May, and I just stumbled across an ad for the new RG Premiums.

87993.jpg

Looks like a stunning guitar, and I like the specs very much.

However, the price new is about 900$ and it's made in Indonesia:freak:

So my question is has anyone had an opportunity to play or pick one up, and how is the build quality? What about the humbuckers? Do they sound alright or would I eventually need to put something better in? Also what about the trem? I hear a lot of positive and negative feed back about Ibanez's trems especially about the finish wearing off of them, is this one of the good ones?

Basically is it worth it? Because if not, I could easily find plenty of other guitars that suit my needs for around this price point.

Any feedback is appreciated.

• Members

I've been a Ibby fanboi for many, many years and I will NEVER ever buy a current production Ibby RG when you can get the better quality older RG's for much less $$$ 2nd hand. 900 bucks for a MII guitar is ludicrous. {censored} that noise and just buy this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-RG550-Desert-Yellow-1987-Immaculate-Condition-/220763375960?pt=Guitar&hash=item336685c958#ht_500wt_1156

• Members

I've been a Ibby fanboi for many, many years and I will NEVER ever buy a current production Ibby RG when you can get the better quality older RG's for much less $$$ 2nd hand. 900 bucks for a MII guitar is ludicrous. {censored} that noise and just buy this.

even better, if he wants just two hums, MIJ:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-Rg-520-QS-550-570-prestige-jem-/320672606784?pt=Guitar&hash=item4aa993aa40#ht_500wt_1156

• Members

Wait wait wait, my bad, I think it was Indo was supposed to be the new Korea, and Korea was approching Japanese standards.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more like companies need to cut costs so they source a new factory in a country which they can pay their workers less to churn out mass produced crap at an inflated price. entry-mid range gear is becoming {censored} and getting expensive.

i'll buy used and in a year range that is known to be quality.

i bought my rg7420 for $150. it kills, its made in japan, i love it.

also, korean quality isn't that great right now either. at least from esp/ltd. the 1k's are on par with the 401's. i found the same flaws in the 401's as the 1k's. which are made in indo and korea respectively.

• Members

Got 2 RG550s last year. One for 200$, the other for 300$... Both not in perfect condition but still in good shape. Awesome guitar for the money. Stay in tune whatever you do. Awesome thin neck. PUs offer lots of tonal possibilities. Gigged with them a few time with no issues.

I don't know about those new Ibanez Premium but I'm like the others here. Go used if you can. If you still want to go new, get a MII RG350 and put some good PUs in it (I got one and it's also a good player I got for cheap).

I don't understand what Ibanez is doing with that "Premium" line, same as Suhr with their 1000$ made in China guitars. Go figure... :facepalm:

Archived