Jeff Loomis/ Diezel Hagen /Blackmachine

Duesentrieb

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Schecter/Engl setup had more character. This just makes him sound like everyone else.

oh... right...
like he's the only guy playing metal on 7 string schecters with EMG pickups into ENGL amps :lol:

I have like 5 close friends with that same setup

• Members

oh... right...

like he's the only guy playing metal on 7 string schecters with EMG pickups into ENGL amps
:lol:

I have like 5 close friends with that same setup

And all 5 may sound like {censored}. But Loomis made it work. Again, listen to his solo album or the youtubes of him demoing his old rig. It sounded fatter and meatier. This sounds pedestrian in comparison.

• Members

And all 5 may sound like {censored}. But Loomis made it work. Again, listen to his solo album or the youtubes of him demoing his old rig. It sounded fatter and meatier. This sounds pedestrian in comparison.

well, they can't play like him, but tonewise, they do sound close enough to him

it's not like combining EMG and ENGL tuned to A would allow such a big tone variance

I like the tone on this video better than most of his videos with ENGL amps

but I agree this doesn't sound like his tone, and that's expected

• Members

I wouldn't try comparing this to his professionally recording tone people.

Without even getting into the whole youtube compressions stuff, let's remember that this is the very first public unveiling of the amp, it's not like Loomis had very much time to dial in a perfect tone. He probably sat down, turned on the amp, maybe twisted some knobs a bit and started playing the way he likes to play, and for that it sounds pretty damn sweet.

• Members

:idk:

Personally I think the sound overall, guitars included, is pretty average on his solo album. The lead tones on the latest Nevermore also sounded like thin weak {censored}, but I did like the rhythm sounds.

I did think the Diezel sound could have done with a bit more clarity in the high end, but then again... it seems to be just dodgy camera mic sound, so it's not the best material to be judging from. :idk:

• Members

Kinda diggin' it thus far...Would really like to hear a channel by channel walk through that is recorded properly before a make any real judgements.

Couple thoughs:

1. seems to be the most "organic" voicing of any of the Diezels

2. tighter than the Herbert, but a bit looser than the VH4

3. nice crisp top-end, but voicing's "size" is primarily generated in the low-mids

4. cleans remind me more of "classic" amps...More so than any previous Diezel

5. seems insanely versitle (even for a Diezel)...A true "Swiss army knife"

6. seems a bit more accepting of high output, and even active pickups than the VH4, due to the decrease in compression

7. the most "Marshall" sounding amp in the Diezel line up

8. all, of this being said, it still DEFINATELY sounds like a Diezel...And ONLY a Diezel does.

Just my first impressions...

• Members
Kinda diggin' it thus far...Would really like to hear a channel by channel walk through that is recorded properly before a make any real judgements.

Couple thoughs:

1. seems to be the most "organic" voicing of any of the Diezels

3. nice crisp top-end, but voicing's "size" is primarily generated in the low-mids

4. cleans remind me more of "classic" amps...More so than any previous Diezel

5. seems insanely versitle (even for a Diezel)...A true "Swiss army knife"

6. seems a bit more accepting of high output, and even active pickups than the VH4, due to the decrease in compression

7. the most "Marshall" sounding amp in the Diezel line up

8. all, of this being said, it still DEFINATELY sounds like a Diezel...And ONLY a Diezel does.

Just my first impressions...

well, you just described the Einstein's Ch1 Modes 2 and 3 :idk:

• Members

Couple thoughs:

You mean opposite right?:confused:
I think the herbert is the tightest of the 3, VH4 being the loostest one.

• Members
^Agreed....if your VH4 is looser than your Herbert, you should have it checked out.

I got You guys, but it wasn't really what I've heard in the sound booth :confused:
Herbert had much bigger bottom, but stayed amazingly focused with 7-string,
which VH4 couldn't do.

Saying that, it was ofc short test (I was focused on Hagen) and amps where set up by Doug how he likes it.

Archived