UPS vs the 6505+ 112 combo... PICS of the carnage.

NixerX

• Members

always double box amps.

i've never had an issue shipping USPS, UPS etc properly double boxed.

that said, i've never seen anything that messed up either and can't say that double boxing would have helped in this situation. it's really just adding a layer of foam and cardboard, neither of which would have held up to whatever "force" smashed that combo.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly. If a doctor or RN took the attitude a lot of people replying to the video seem to have no problem with, there would be a fair number of worsened health conditions -- or if workers building a home felt doing the work sucked and decided to screw up the construction, I doubt those same people would find that acceptable.

Hey! I didn't even see the video until I saw your comment, I just added what I know from my friends job. Obviously thats not acceptable for someone to do on the job.

But for further insight - you basically work at $12/hr for years until a driver position opens up because they get paid well and literally just drive around all day, and get a sweet pension at the end of it. When they get that job, they do it until they retire, no one leaves that career.

• Members

I think their site even says delicate electronics have to be double boxed with at least 3 inches of packing all around. I hate to say it but even if I'm wrong in my previous statement, you probably aren't going to see a dime out of them :( the best bet is to pay the extra money for the ups store to pack it for you, then they're responsible. Also, manufacturers boxes are usually ups approved so, if possible, ask around at shops if you can have a box.

Try like hell for the claim! If you get the shaft, I may be interested in the broken map.

• Members

I worked at a UPS for 5 years a few decades ago.

A box could easily fall 20 feet at a sorting facility. If a main conveyor belt gets blocked, all the packages backup on the belt. Thousands of packages can push against the jam and start crushing the packages and also lifting and shifting them upward causing them to fall over the side rail of the conveyor, some of which are 20ft off the ground. I've seen it many times. I've un-jammed backups that were 80 feet long. You would be amazed at the forces involved.

UPS should give tours of their sorting facilities so people can get an idea of what packages go through. People always under pack their goods. One lady once tried to send a cake to her son across the the country in a box. When the clerk (my friend) mentioned that it wouldn't look very good when it showed. She asked "Why can't you put it on the top shelf of the truck?" She actually thought that her package would leave St. Louis in a brown delivery truck and be driven directly to NY.

Also it doesn't matter what they pay their workers, a good percentage of them hate their jobs. I didn't make great money as a sorter and I hated every day I worked there. I never abused packages but I witnessed it plenty when I was there.

Also when you ship something more than half way across the country the 40ft and 20 ft trailerss can get placed on rail cars. There can be huge shifting of goods in the trailers due to the collision from coupling of the rail cars. This can also smash your shipment.

I now work in the packaging business designing and testing packaging. Pack your {censored} like its going to get abused folks, because it does.

• Members

Man sucks to see an amp destroyed like that :cry:

I ALWAYS use the ups store to ship expensive things but you have to pay extra for THEM to pack it. That's the down side.. the good side though is that if ANYTHING happens to it, it's ALL covered if anything gets damaged.

Dont bother...unless of course your packing procedures prevent damage from an industrial sized meat grinder.

I got a pair of port city cabs from him and they were packed to survive a nuclear blast. I learned a lot of new tricks when I unpacked them...like how hilariously strong cardboard glue is. No packing tape needed :lol:

• Members

Exactly. If a doctor or RN took the attitude a lot of people replying to the video seem to have no problem with, there would be a fair number of worsened health conditions -- or
if workers building a home felt doing the work sucked and decided to screw up the construction
, I doubt those same people would find that acceptable.

Have you seen new homes built lately?

fuuuu , buyer is paying huge bucks for 25-30 years and builders by many standards are {censored}. They hire cheap labor and get by on the cheapest of materials.

My sis' home (brand new $320k) in Fla, had framing off center throughout the house. They used thin ass plywood on the flooring which eventually hand sunk and pitted (rainfall during build) in many rooms and hallways. Plumbing leaks, and in several areas mold. She had to have so much of that house re done within 5 years and several times had to stay in hotels while they fixed it. To fix it took her running the builder through court. The inspector was a "friend" of the builder.

As far as OP's amp, if you have pics of how you packaged the item with layers of boxes and other protection you might have a case. If you don't, you won't. I had shipped a Carvin X100b single boxed with packing peanuts/foam layer and they denied the claim. I had to refund plus lose the amp. Headshell was destroyed and the internal pc board cracked.

FEDEx is better. I had a drum kit sent and was concerned because it was pouring rain the day of delivery. I was shocked to arrive home and see 6 boxes wrapped in plastic to protect them from the rain. Same occurred on another day when they delivered an AH mixer. Nice and wrapped up in plastic bag over the boxes. Storm was supposed to happen but never did.

Archived