S-OT: Did I Do Something Wrong?

Slim Jim

• Members

I have my Bogner Ecstasy Classic up for sale on TGP.*

Yay for me.

I know, the rep the site has.

But I had a forumite interested in it. He pm'ed me with an offer. Sorta low. I came back with an offer of a few bucks higher just to haggle. Greedy, I know, but I would like to get as much as I can. I didn't hear back from him. So I sent him another pm back saying I would agree to his terms. I still haven't heard from him.

His refusal to respond to any of my pm's is sort of, what I consider, babyish.

If he lost interest or was turned off by the haggling, he could have just said so, IMO.

But, don't people usually haggle anyway?

Is haggling that offensive?

*I know this is a thinkly veiled spam thread and I apologize, I'm just that perplexed by the outcome.

• Members

I have my Bogner Ecstasy Classic up for sale on TGP.*

Yay for me.

I know, the rep the site has.

But I had a forumite interested in it. He pm'ed me with an offer. Sorta low. I came back with an offer of a few bucks higher just to haggle. Greedy, I know, but I would like to get as much as I can. I didn't hear back from him. So I sent him another pm back saying I would agree to his terms. I still haven't heard from him.

His refusal to respond to any of my pm's is sort of, what I consider, babyish.

If he lost interest or was turned off by the haggling, he could have just said so, IMO.

But, don't people usually haggle anyway?

Is haggling that offensive?

*I know this is a thinkly veiled spam thread and I apologize, I'm just that perplexed by the outcome.

Meh what's the big deal? He made an offer you didn't accept and he moved on and maybe he hasn't been online since.

• Members

Should've included the fact that he gave me all his info.

I'm not a big gear seller or buyer even, so this was new to me to have someone so seemingly committed to then just refusing to respond.

I guess I was just hoping for common courtesy to tell me he was no longer interested?

• Members

Should've included the fact that he gave me all his info.

I'm not a big gear seller or buyer even, so this was new to me to have someone so seemingly committed to then just refusing to respond.

I guess I was just hoping for common courtesy to tell me he was no longer interested?

Don't worry about it man. People are just like that sometimes. Maybe hes just having second thoughts about spending the cash.

• Members

Who knows. He may have found another one at a better price or he may not have been online. Could be anything, but it's not worth worrying about. Part of selling is dealing with people who seem serious up until it's time to fork over the cash then you never hear from them again.

• Members

i love doing just that. people want to waste my time over a few bucks to feel shrewd? ok, enjoy your amp dude. theres plenty of people selling that dont play games.

but 'wrong'? no way. its your amp, you can do whatever you want with it.

That's what I figured his attitude was. In which case, I didn't mean to offend him. I wanted to give the impression that I knew what I was doing.

And to co&cafan808, yeah that was my attitude. That's why I listed it over there in the 1st place.

• Members

Eh. I've inquired about an amp and then thought better of it as many/more times than I've ended up buying the amp.

I kinda expect it when I'm selling an amp though. I mean, a person doesn't walk into a store and automatically commit to buying something just because they ask the salesperson about it, ya know? The guy probably just moved on to something else, no biggie. You didn't do anything wrong.

• Members

People are flaky.

He probably had no intentions of buying it anyway.

^This. He was probably just a "tire-kicker" with no real intentions of buying.

Haggling is okay in my book. When I see "price police" people whining and moaning about someone's asking price on CL or other online classifieds, I always wonder "did you even try to make an offer?". Unless they say firm, it never hurts to try and haggle. I mean, thats how I sell. I put the highest price I would like for the item, but I'm usually willing to negotiate.

• Members

He's just a tirekicker, wasn't serious in the first place. That {censored} annoys me too. Better yet when you meet them on their price in the first email, then they back out anyways. The {censored} are you emailing me for if you aren't going to go through with it? Waste of my time, dumb asshole.

• Members

There are just as much tirekickers/butthurt at TGP as there is on craigslist. I made an offer on a guitar once, was a bit low but the guit was refinished so was def devalued (we exchanged several polite pms with pics, etc)...eventually the seller refused my price, had the guitar "sold" and I guess the guy backed out on him at the very last minute. B/c of the refin it took him a LONG time to sell. He posted a new thread relisting the guitar at the price I offered him.... and would not respond to my pm's cause apparently he was too butthurt to sell to me specifically lol. next please

moral of the story- people are flakes, forget about it

Archived