Animals As Leaders (D-Jent Content)

Johnny Two Tone

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The funny thing is I was going to add a disclaimer that everyone should give it a minute or so before judging (which would be a given if not for the attention span of the average forum user) due to that badly mixed sweep intro.

None the less Tosin Abasi is a friggin' mad scientist on the guitar. I noticed him gaining critical attention before this band came along, though didn't realize this was the type of thing he did.

Here's another cool tune.

• Members

Im as OCD about my tone as anyone but i personally think it makes more sense to listen to music for how good the music is, not how good their tone is. I personally think their tone is awful as hell but i think tosin is an amazing guitar player. He is very dynamic, not just a shredder.

• Members

ahh thats the 'djent' high pass filter castration tone ...all mids no balls

Balls should be coming form the kick drum and the bass, and "djent" guitars don't use high pass filters anymore aggressively than your average heavy guitar tones, right around 100hz usually.

• Members

Strangely I've never been one to give much of a passing thought about tone. I never really thought about the fact that I never really think about tone until I got my Axe-FX. Suddenly I had endless choices and I realized I really couldn't care less. Just turn that {censored} on and let's do this thing.

I've always been so obsessed with composition that the tone of the notes comes so far down the list of things I care about. I can totally understand why someone would be turned off of a song/band/musical style with tone he/she doesn't like but... well, not me. {censored}, most of the more technical bands I listen to, up 'till more recently with tech advances, weren't wealthy enough to have access to great sounding recordings anyway, regardless of their amps' tones.

Speaking of crazy mofo'in tech metal who's excited for the new Blotted Science album (though, their tone is wicked awesome sauce)? From what I understand the whole album will be a sound track to a video of insects, with the instruments playing along to the bugs' movements. Don't tell me that that ain't {censored}ing awesome.

• Members

ahh thats the 'djent' high pass filter castration tone ...all mids no balls

yeah nice effort guys...maybe next time you'll get lucky and come up with something remotely memorable

Wait, wait, wait. You can't make the argument that these guys suck if you simply hate d-jent. That's like going to a Willie Nelson concert and shouting "Country sucks!" These guys are damn good at what they do. D-jent has always been a dividing genre and if you don't like it... woah, what's this?! Holy {censored}! You, like, don't have to listen to it OOOORRR concern yourself with threads about it!!! GOD DAAAUUMMMNN, who would have thought?!

• Members

Wait, wait, wait. You can't make the argument that these guys suck if you simply hate d-jent. That's like going to a Willie Nelson concert and shouting "Country sucks!" These guys are damn good at what they do. D-jent has always been a dividing genre and if you don't like it... woah, what's this?! Holy {censored}! You, like, don't have to listen to it OOOORRR concern yourself with threads about it!!! GOD DAAAUUMMMNN, who would have thought?!

this d hyphen jent {censored} is getting on my nerves :o it's djent. as in "jent" :eekphil:

• Members

guy can play ......would just be nice if the music matched the chops

some bands can pound out 3 chords and it just crushes this garbage ....don't get me wrong some tech stuff can be amazing but it has to match up

• Members

i put this stuff in the bin of "amazing youtube vids". i watch them before band practice when my drummer brings them to me like a cat with a dead bird, hoping my mind will be blown. and all too often it is. these guys are amazing, but for me, ill leave it in the youtube pile. will not remember this bands name in a year.

• Members

kaki kings been pullin this {censored} on acoustic for years
:rolleyes:

I'm not sure what difference that makes to someone who hasn't heard it.

How about we make this a lot easier and simply list good tech/progressive metal bands? Seems like a win win. Here, I'll start:

-Blotted Science

-Keith Merrow

-Liquid Tension Experiment

-Scale The Summit

-Cloud Kicker (the entire project is one guy)

-Dare I say it? - Behold... The Arctopus.

Okay, now you go.

• Members

hell yeah I love it

keep up the {censored} factory guys! theres gonna be a wave of new music coming thru thats gonna blow away all this {censored} like it never even existed

they will all be back to selling guitars at GC all bitter and {censored} ..adios assholes

• Members

I'm not sure what difference that makes to someone who hasn't heard it.

How about we make this a lot easier and simply list good tech/progressive metal bands? Seems like a win win. Here, I'll start:

-Blotted Science

-Keith Merrow

-Liquid Tension Experiment

-Scale The Summit

-Cloud Kicker (the entire project is one guy)

-Dare I say it? - Behold... The Arctopus.

Okay, now you go.

no i was totally joking. these guys {censored}ing shred. but to what end, i ask you, o humanity! to what end indeed!

• Members

hell yeah I love it

keep up the {censored} factory guys! theres gonna be a wave of new music coming thru thats gonna blow away all this {censored} like it never even existed

they will all be back to selling guitars at GC all bitter and {censored} ..adios assholes

Haha, Behold is such a fascinating train wreck I can't look away. The funny thing is the drummer, Charlie Zeleny, is in Blotted Science as well and he is an absolutely mind blowingly amazing drummer. Even his instructional videos are jaw dropping.

• Members

kind of makes you wonder, what music will sound like in 60 years. just look where its come from in the last 60.

That's why I've always hated the whole, "Music sucks now" argument. First off ALL of the old styles of music still exist with new bands, you just have to look for it, AND there are now also tons of new styles. There's more music than ever before. Age didn't diminish it, pirating didn't diminish it, popularity didn't diminish it. It's all right there for us to find and enjoy.

• Members

thank the powers that be for recorded media. another question though, with literally everything recorded, what will history classes be like in the future? like will it be cumulative? that {censored} would require extra years of high school. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

• Members

personally I think there is a huge void right now for a wave like the 90's of fresh stuff

way to many followers and not enought leaders today (no pun intended...)

I think something good is gonna come thru real soon...thats the only reason this horse{censored} 'djent' popped up (which is alot similar to the hair metal of the 80's where it became style over substance)

one guy that springs to mind in devin townsend as well ....he was incredible in the late 90's but has gone downhill bigtime and now nut hugs with all these stupid bedroom 'superior drummer/8 string guitar' garbage thats getting a look because music is in such bad shape....metalcore was bad enough!!

ya think the future is guys locked onto a computer editing the {censored} out of stuff with synthetic drums?!?!? ....maybe it is but its pretty grim if that is the case.....

I haven't heard on riff in the last year thats made my hair stand up

thats why I say there is a massive hole that can be filled .,....and all this interum {censored} will be gone like the dinosaurs

Archived