Went shopping for bass heads yesterday...

guitarbilly74

• Members

..with my bass player. His Hartke 3500 has been acting up lately and since we have a gig tomorrow we didn't want to risk it. We went to GC Northridge and tried a bunch of GK, Ampeg, Acoustic and Mark Bass amps. We did not try the big SVT because that was beyond his budget and we did not want to find out it sounds like God but we can't afford it. After trying them all we ended up deciding on this new Ampeg Portaflex 500w head. It really was the best sounding amp of the bunch and the fact that is really cheap and portable is just the icing on the cake. He can carry it on a laptop case :lol:

The amp sounds awesome though, very clear and defined with plenty of punch and a nice and clear top end.

Since he got a portable amp, I decided to give the Orange Tiny Terror a try just for the hell of it and wow it sounds great and it is almost loud enough for our band. I will probably give the Dual Terror a try when I see one. It would be funny if both of us were playing micro heads on top of our huge cabs.

I also tried the Jet City Picovalve and hated it.

So yeah CSB and happy Monday :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

u are 1 ****ing cheeky **** mate i swear i am goin 2 wreck u i swear on my mums life and i no u are scared lil bitch gettin your mates to send me messages saying dont meet up coz u r sum big bastard with muscles lol ****in sad mate really sad jus shows what a scared lil gay boy u are and whats all this crap ur mates sendin me about sum bodybuildin website that 1 of your faverite places to look at men u lil ****in gay boy fone me if u got da balls cheeky prick see if u can step up lil queer

• Members

u are 1 ****ing cheeky **** mate i swear i am goin 2 wreck u i swear on my mums life and i no u are scared lil bitch gettin your mates to send me messages saying dont meet up coz u r sum big bastard with muscles lol ****in sad mate really sad jus shows what a scared lil gay boy u are and whats all this crap ur mates sendin me about sum bodybuildin website that 1 of your faverite places to look at men u lil ****in gay boy fone me if u got da balls cheeky prick see if u can step up lil queer

Wtf...?

• Members

Medication.......have some :o

• Members
..with my bass player. His Hartke 3500 has been acting up lately and since we have a gig tomorrow we didn't want to risk it. We went to GC Northridge and tried a bunch of GK, Ampeg, Acoustic and Mark Bass amps. We did not try the big SVT because that was beyond his budget and we did not want to find out it sounds like God but we can't afford it. After trying them all we ended up deciding on this new Ampeg Portaflex 500w head. It really was the best sounding amp of the bunch and the fact that is really cheap and portable is just the icing on the cake. He can carry it on a laptop case
:lol:
The amp sounds awesome though, very clear and defined with plenty of punch and a nice and clear top end.

Since he got a portable amp, I decided to give the Orange Tiny Terror a try just for the hell of it and wow it sounds great and it is
almost
loud enough for our band. I will probably give the Dual Terror a try when I see one. It would be funny if both of us were playing micro heads on top of our huge cabs.

So yeah CSB and happy Monday
:)

The Bass terror is damn good . The current round of micro heads f'n rocks !

• Members

Cocaine is a Helluva drug

• Members

Hope you got the warranty. The Vietpeg stuff has had some biggie biggie QC issues. :-/

What GK did you try out and didn't like? For mini/micro stuff, they are who I'd go with.

I'm pretty sure they are made in Korea now, they ditched the 'Nampeg stuff as far as I know

• Members

u are 1 ****ing cheeky **** mate i swear i am goin 2 wreck u i swear on my mums life and i no u are scared lil bitch gettin your mates to send me messages saying dont meet up coz u r sum big bastard with muscles lol ****in sad mate really sad jus shows what a scared lil
gay
boy u are and whats all this crap ur mates sendin me about sum bodybuildin website that 1 of your faverite places to look at men u lil ****in
gay
boy fone me if u got da balls cheeky prick see if u can step up lil qu
eer

wtf is your problem man? :freak:

And quoted for the incoming ban :thu:

• Members

Hope you got the warranty. The Vietpeg stuff has had some biggie biggie QC issues. :-/

What GK did you try out and didn't like? For mini/micro stuff, they are who I'd go with.

We tried a Gold Line 500w head and the 700RB. The Gold Line was too muddy and farted on the lower notes. The 700rb was great actually and ended up in the top 2 but we thought the top end on the ampeg was clearer and more defined.

I hope we don't have any reliability issues with this amp because we do have a lot of shows lined up. :eek:

• Members
..with my bass player. His Hartke 3500 has been acting up lately and since we have a gig tomorrow we didn't want to risk it. We went to GC Northridge and tried a bunch of GK, Ampeg, Acoustic and Mark Bass amps. We did not try the big SVT because that was beyond his budget and we did not want to find out it sounds like God but we can't afford it. After trying them all we ended up deciding on this new Ampeg Portaflex 500w head. It really was the best sounding amp of the bunch and the fact that is really cheap and portable is just the icing on the cake. He can carry it on a laptop case
:lol:

Since he got a portable amp, I decided to give the Orange Tiny Terror a try just for the hell of it and wow it sounds great and it is
almost
loud enough for our band. I will probably give the Dual Terror a try when I see one. It would be funny if both of us were playing micro heads on top of our huge cabs.

So yeah CSB and happy Monday

Both with Terror heads? :D
bass-terror-1000__84925_zoom.jpg

• Members
whoa that's really cool
:love:
It sucks they did not have one there to try and we are really on a time constraint here since we have shows tomorrow, Thursday and Saturday.

I dabble in bass from time to time, and have been looking at reasonably priced heads, I have a 4x10 cab.
There's also a 500 watt version, it's dirt cheap, and got a great review in a Swedish magazine last month.
It's hybrid, with 2 12ax7s in the preamp.
I'd love one of those :)

• Members

I dabble in bass from time to time, and have been looking at reasonably priced heads, I have a 4x10 cab.

There's also a 500 watt version, it's dirt cheap, and got a great review in a Swedish magazine last month.

It's hybrid, with 2 12ax7s in the preamp.

I'd love one of those

GAS is rising and the amp is not even for me :lol: I will call some places today and if we find one we can probably return the Ampeg and get this if it sounds better.

• Members

The Terror's are pretty ftw; just hard to find IRL retail.

The GKs are indeed nice (the 700RB anyway- Goldline is ftmfl :(), and honestly are a little finnicky about EQ if you're new to them, so I can see your review being pretty spot on. But they're rock solid and last and last.

• Members

wtf is your problem man?
:freak:

And quoted for the incoming ban
:thu:

Surely you haven't read the epic thread from where this quote came from. It is worth a read for the lulz whenever you are bored.

http://78.129.251.117:8548/miscwkthread/20110323-225723-132855213/t-132855213.html

As for trying to get me banned, how nice of you, considering I tried to help you out with getting in touch with Fractal less than 12 hours ago. Douchimus Maximus

• Members
Not mad at all... if you want to "wreck me" tomorrow at 9PM I will be at:

9015 Sunset Boulevard

West Hollywood, CA 90069-1818

feel free to show up (and shameless gig plug LMAO)

Hey, put me on your mailing list. I'll PM you my email. I can't come out this week I have out of town guests but can probably catch one of your shows later.

I went bass amp shopping twice in the last 5 years. First time I bought an SVT RI (Nampeg built) that sounds wonderful, and has been totally reliable for me. I found a beat 8x10 cabinet from the 70s for cheap to play it through. Just a BITCH to move though.

When I moved down here I ended up buying a MarkBass SD 800 and two 2x10 cabs. I can carry all that in one trip quite easily and I have to say that quite honestly it sounds as good as the SVT rig I have back home.

Class D amps and neodynium speakers are the tits for bass amplification.

• Members

Hey, put me on your mailing list. I'll PM you my email. I can't come out this week I have out of town guests but can probably catch one of your shows later.

I went bass amp shopping twice in the last 5 years. First time I bought an SVT RI (Nampeg built) that sounds wonderful, and has been totally reliable for me. I found a beat 8x10 cabinet from the 70s for cheap to play it through. Just a BITCH to move though.

When I moved down here I ended up buying a MarkBass SD 800 and two 2x10 cabs. I can carry all that in one trip quite easily and I have to say that quite honestly it sounds as good as the SVT rig I have back home.

Class D amps and neodynium speakers are the tits for bass amplification.

We don't have a mailing list lol we just put stuff on FB these days but I will always post gigs here as well.

I like the Mark Bass amp but we felt the tone was a little too polite and subdued for what we are going for. It really sounded great for funk grooves and stuff but a little too clean for the rock tones.

Archived