Powerball-II - sounding BAD ASS

satannica

• Members
Until you play it live.. with a band. Then not so much. The PB still has the small undersized 50W transformers, in a 100W tube head = Epic fail. And not enough volume.

:freak: not enough volume ??? are you playing unmicced stadium or something??

• Members

Utter crap; I ran the POwerball Mk 1 for two years and never had cutting or volume issues! Not once! And I was using Marshall cabs - apparently the biggest cardinal sin!

Really - go live with it instead of rehashing some tired hearsay!

• Members

Utter crap; I ran the POwerball Mk 1 for two years and never had cutting or volume issues! Not once! And I was using Marshall cabs - apparently the biggest cardinal sin!

Really - go live with it instead of rehashing some tired hearsay!

This. I owned both the V1 and V2 Powerballs: They can cut in a mix. Mid range + focused mids + not maxing the gain will allow you to cut through. That said, I much prefer the Savage 120's midrange character.

• Members

:freak:
not enough volume ??? are you playing unmicced stadium or something??

Nope. The PB just doesn't put out near the volume of their other offerings. I've owned the PB, SE EL34, & Savage 120 (all at the same time) and had plenty of time to compare them.

Savage23.jpg

se-pb2.jpg

I doubt many others on this forum have done the same. Just look at the size of the Powerball transformers (same with the Fireball) compared to the Savage & SE. And it affects more than volume also. Oh and if you want loud... a Diezel Herbert is loud.

But hey, if you want to rock a small club, studio, or similar the PB might be a great amp for you.

Oh... and this was thru a variety of cabs (Diezel frontload V30s, Mills Acoustics Afterburner, and Bogner UberKab) seen here:

rig90.jpg

Other witty comments?

• Members

Ive had great results with the first powerball and i used emgs. All i heard was a massive wall of sound! Just ran one through its paces over the weekend. Plenty loud and was able to hear every pick stroke.

Curious to play through this new version.

• Members

I owned the Savage too. It's a great amp and I totally get why people prefer it to the PB; I started off like that but after 3-4 months I had major ear-fatigue from it. It just did the few kinds of sounds really well, but not much else... and the PB I thought was tighter myself. When the rest of the band is telling you go back to a PB, I guess it makes sense to take it on board lol!

Sod it, I need a PBII. Let's hope I can get my car sorted for under

• Members
Nope. The PB just doesn't put out near the volume of their other offerings. I've owned the PB, SE EL34, & Savage 120 (all at the same time) and had plenty of time to compare them.

Savage23.jpg

se-pb2.jpg

I doubt many others on this forum have done the same. Just look at the size of the Powerball transformers (same with the Fireball) compared to the Savage & SE. And it affects more than volume also. Oh and if you want loud... a Diezel Herbert is loud.

But hey, if you want to rock a small club, studio, or similar the PB might be a great amp for you.

Oh... and this was thru a variety of cabs (Diezel frontload V30s, Mills Acoustics Afterburner, and Bogner UberKab) seen here:

rig90.jpg

Other witty comments?

She makes me play in the garage.

• Members

Any German-speakers... anyone know what cab he's using with it?

I tried listening, but my german isn't very good. I don't think he mentions the cab at all. All I can say it's one of the new ones since it doesn't have the corner protectors on the top corners.

Archived