50W amp with FIVE EL34's ???

Mr Songwriter

• Members

I've just seen an article about this amp (Laney Lionheart 50) in a guitar mag, it's not out yet but I was wondering if there was any benefit to using five EL34's (the only downside I can think of is that matched power tubes are not normally sold in that quantity) Anyone know anything about this type of amp?

[video=youtube;-AvXFlWEeHQ]

• Members

It says right there in the video....parallel single-ended operation. For all intents and purposes, there are five power amps in one amp driving one output... each EL34 will be part of its own SE power amp, each with its own bias setup (being single-ended, they will be cathode-biased, and will NOT need to be matched), and its own output transformer (in this case, probably just its own OT primary coil), each generating about 10-watts dissipation.

(tech21man beat me to it)

• Members

It says right there in the video....
parallel single-ended operation
. For all intents and purposes, there are five power amps in one amp driving one output... each EL34 will be part of its own SE power amp, each with its own bias setup (being single-ended, they will be cathode-biased, and will NOT need to be matched), and its own output transformer (in this case, probably just its own OT primary coil), each generating about 10-watts dissipation.

(tech21man beat me to it)

in which case it seems to me like they are barely working the tubes, no?

• Members

I have always loved power tube saturation in amps and have wanted to hear an amp that would offer it up along with pre amp saturation, but in the desired amounts that I prefer of each. This gets into the original Marshall plexi tones when run full up. Far better then mere preamp saturation only.
This amp looks really interesting! ;)

• Members

in which case it seems to me like they are barely working the tubes, no?

No...running tubes in true Class A makes them less efficient.

You need more of them to get the same power when you're pushing them just as hard.

• Members

ZERO crossover distortion. You also preserve the even-order harmonics that push-pull power sections cancel.

You need more of them to get the same power when you're pushing them just as hard.

Enough of this even-order harmonic bull{censored}. What I want to know is whether or not this thing has the fragile harmonics.

• Members

ZERO crossover distortion. You also preserve the even-order harmonics that push-pull power sections cancel.

+1.

Unfortunately, hum is also a common side-effect of must SE designs due to "feedthrough" where the power tube's heaters affect its cathode. It can be corrected for but most amp makers skip that step (the easiest way is a hum balance pot, but that can be screwed up by end-users, so it's best not to give them the opportunity).

• Members

That or it could use an EL34 as a driver, I think....

i've actually seen this in other power amps-- usually lower wattage though- like for a pair of 300b tubes.

EDIT: der.. already covered this ground in the thread.. which i didn't read. til now.

now if they'd run the preamp witn 6sn7's, you'd have the whole single ended hifi approach hammered.. :D things gotta have some lovely midrange goin on. i'd love to check this thing out, and i'd watch the vid if i weren't at work.

• Members

+1.

Unfortunately, hum is also a common side-effect of must SE designs due to "feedthrough" where the power tube's heaters affect its cathode. It can be corrected for but most amp makers skip that step (the easiest way is a hum balance pot, but that can be screwed up by end-users, so it's best not to give them the opportunity).

The biggest hum related problem is the fact that single ended designs have 0 CMRR. Push pull cancels most of it's noise by design, SE does not.

• Members

Believe me guys, this amp is killer and i've never heard an amp with such awesome volume control.

Very intrigued by this amp, more than any other at the moment.

Tell me , your comparison with VH100R, GH50.

This could well be my next amp if its as good or better than my VH100R.

Archived