Ruby vs JJ (EL34 & 12AX7) ??? Is it worth an extra 40 minutes of drive?

iloveespguitars

• Members

I might be making a trip to the big brother you s of eh next weekend, and I'm thinking if I should stop by a GC and pick up Quad Matched Ruby EL34 BSTR.

One thing I am concern is... I can ONLY get Ruby's from US and not from Canada... so I was wondering if making that extra 40 minute trip to the closest guitar center worth it?

I can get JJ's easily from thetubestore...

What I'm condering (in numerical order of importance)

1) Durability/Reliability

2) Tone

3) Price

4) Same brand preamp tubes

• Members

Did you email Laura?

I don't know about you, but I'd love to visit one of those fabled Guitar Centers. If it were only 40 minutes away for me, I would definitely make the trip for good times as a Canadian. If you're asking Americans on the other hand if you should go, they will probably tell you "{censored} that it's just GC."

• Members

Did you email Laura?

I don't know about you, but I'd love to visit one of those fabled Guitar Centers. If it were only 40 minutes away for me, I would definitely make the trip for good times as a Canadian. If you're asking Americans on the other hand if you should go, they will probably tell you "{censored} that it's just GC."

Laura costs more than GC...

• Members

$30 shipping

I think it's pretty fair considering it's express USPS shipping. Also, it seems to be a fixed rate, so think about picking up one of Doug's tone kits with your order.

Also, what amp are you even using right now? Are you looking to buy a matched pair or quad?

This guy on ebay has good prices and fair shipping charges. I've had this store bookmarked for a while, but I think I'm going to order off Doug's for one of his tonekits + ruby 6l6s.

http://stores.ebay.com/NewOldSounds-Superstore/_i.html?_nkw=ruby+el34&submit=Search&_sid=10177552

• Members

I think it's pretty fair considering it's express USPS shipping. Also, it seems to be a fixed rate, so think about picking up one of Doug's tone kits with your order.

Also, what amp are you even using right now? Are you looking to buy a matched pair or quad?

This guy on ebay has good prices and fair shipping charges. I've had this store bookmarked for a while, but I think I'm going to order off Doug's for one of his tonekits + ruby 6l6s.

That store is $70 + shipping.. GC is $56 i think

• Members

i can vouch for Ruby EL34BSTRs being much better than the JJs IMO.

odd thing is, when i installed them, i HATED them. i had them biased just about where i had the JJs and the tone was horrible. Sterile and just no dynamics at all.

so i put in some svetlanas and dug on those for a while. one day i decided to give them a chance and bias them differently. i forget which but i had to bias them much colder/hotter (i believe colder, which was strange to me) and they blew me away. havent ever got to look at the actual technical specs, but anoyne know about this?

and JJ 12ax7s are fine, half of my pre is stuffed with them as we speak, but im looking to go ruby next time around i think. are their 12ax7s any good?

• Members

i can vouch for Ruby EL34BSTRs being much better than the JJs IMO.

odd thing is, when i installed them, i HATED them. i had them biased just about where i had the JJs and the tone was horrible. Sterile and just no dynamics at all.

so i put in some svetlanas and dug on those for a while. one day i decided to give them a chance and bias them differently. i forget which but i had to bias them much colder/hotter (i believe colder, which was strange to me) and they blew me away. havent ever got to look at the actual technical specs, but anoyne know about this?

and JJ 12ax7s are fine, half of my pre is stuffed with them as we speak, but im looking to go ruby next time around i think. are their 12ax7s any good?

He's right they need to be biased cold, the thing is the JJ el34's are really good tubes as well it just depends on what you like. Same with the 12ax7's, the JJ's are a dark preamp tube, in some amps like the XXX I used to have or the Engl Fireball they were awesome. In my blackstar or my old JSX they were dull and lifeless. Tubes are a tough thing to get opinions on because they sound so different in every amp. My personal favorite el34 is the Electro Harmonix el34eh but I know a lot of people like the Ruby's and JJ's better.

Archived